2016 Cosmo headunit - do I have to bin it

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

2016 Cosmo headunit - do I have to bin it

Post by nwcs »

This unit does everything I want it to
It has DAB and Bluetooth and Bluetooth media streaming from my iPhone

I was going to wire it to the speaker inputs on my Alpine DSP which will lead to 3 separate amps
But another part of my internal upgrade I want to change Startline speedo to the high line MFD units

I’ve been told that if I do this the head unit will no longer function at all and will need to be changed
Is there anybody on here good enough to confirm this as I would like to keep everything OE where possible

Thanks in advance
Dave
Knowledge comes to those that read the instruction manual - Expereience comes to those that don’t
phil
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Re: 2016 Cosmo headunit - do I have to bin it

Post by phil »

can you post pictures of your current setup vs what you want to fit please?

with regards to the radio and what youve been told about the speedo you are correct that your radio (if genuine) will end up with a CP (component protection) message, the result of this is all sound is disabled from the unit. however if you can get a cluster from a caddy of the same generation it can be fitted by the VW Odis software (so long as the garage has a GeKo token). Alternatively you can buy new but if thats the case you would be as well going for the 3d unit that stan the man has fitted. i am looking into fitting one also but im not sure if the clusters are exchange units

hope this helps
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

ImageImageImageImage

I’ve added the stalks because I want to add cruise as well
Trying to find somebody that can change the clocks to the highline equivalent and put the correct mileage in is turning out to be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Knowledge comes to those that read the instruction manual - Expereience comes to those that don’t
phil
200BHP+

Post by phil »

its is as i thought, you need to get one from a new gen caddy, if you do VW (or an indy with a GeKo token) can change the cluster mileage etc over for you. they will want proof of purchase though
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

Thanks for the info phil

How far from north wales are you based ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

Sorry Phil misunderstood , thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

I’m reluctant to ask my local vw dealer, they could even find the part number for the floors studs for my mats

There is a highline cluster available for 250 used but with 0 miles that I would buy if I could just get it coded.
Is there anybody that could recommend somebody that would do this for me
I don’t mind travelling
Thanks in advance
phil
200BHP+

Post by phil »

unfortunately im central scotland buddy

alex at VW retrofit holds a GeKo token, he even has the clusters in from time to time (he has done my mk6 one and i have had zero issues with it). https://vw-retrofit.co.uk
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

Thanks for the reply Phil

It was Alex in Redditch who advised the headunit would have top be changed and was going to charge me an extra £390 he then asked me to send him a text so he could send me his paypal details to pay £200 into I sent him na email with my number also asking him to confirm what he was doing and the total cost and to confirm when he can do it but he never got back to me.
I guessed he wasn't interested in doing and seemed very off on the phone and found myself apologising for calling him.!!
Maybe he thought I was wasting his time but that's not something I do, being in business myself, I know what its like.
phil
200BHP+

Post by phil »

i was speaking with alex since he has colour clusters in however i believe he was having problems getting these to work. the only way to get the new clusters working with the other equipment (such as acc radars) is to use odis to properly code the cp master in so unfortunately the cluster has to be from a compatible generation and from a reputable source as any vins marked as stolen will lock out the GeKo tokens
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

I think I'm going to wait a while until more information and clocks become available and concentrate on the other upgrades for now.

I'm going to install a Touran carpet in the front and sound deaden the rear with some Silent Coat 2mm this weekend, hoping the sunny weather keeps up 8)

thanks for your input anyway Phil greatly appreciated
phil
200BHP+

Post by phil »

no worries ive got a few other jobs to do before i buy my clocks (ill be buying new so they will be fully compatible) but if i get to keep mine will drop you a PM
Waky
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Waky »

I’m in the same boat, I’ve got new clocks, stalks, SWCM and steering wheel, trying to locate someone in central Scotland to do it! I’ve yet to get a new stereo as I need Bluetooth etc as do a lot of driving!!
Hopefully I can get it sorted soon!
phil
200BHP+

Post by phil »

my old boy (sandemans cars in forfar) might have a look at it for you but he will need to know where everything has come from as if anything that interfaces with the CP master has been taken from a stolen vin he can have his GeKo token taken from him. Be worth firing him an email and giving him time to digest it
nwcs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nwcs »

Thanks Phil, looks like somebody in Anglesey 30min drive can do I for me but I’m gonna do my other stuff first then tackle that
I spent last week killing the sound in my van, it already sounds so much different, pics of my progress will follow in a separate post
But it sounds seriously dead 😎