Tell my insurance company?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
sleepyshrek
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by sleepyshrek »

Never customised or ever wanted to customise a car in me life.
Bought my caddy and have really caught the bug. Sadly, don’t have the money, yet!
Adding windows next week. I imagine I should tell my insurance company but wondered, will they look on it kindly, bearing in mind that I’m on a ‘conversion to motorhome’ policy.
Wheels next. Will they make me pay more for the privilege?
ATB
Ed
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Tell my insurance company?

Post by Caddyluv »

You said your on a conversion to a motor home policy so I assume you have some kind of modified insurance. Best thing is to call them and see.

If not call:
Adrian Flux
Bentacre
Greenlight

They don’t care about doing little mods. But your have to declare your doing a conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gibbs812
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by gibbs812 »

Caddyluv wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am You said your on a conversion to a motor home policy so I assume you have some kind of modified insurance. Best thing is to call them and see.

If not call:
Adrian Flux
Bentacre
Greenlight

They don’t care about doing little mods. But your have to declare your doing a conversion.

I'm doing a few mods to my car, do you have their number? Thanks in advance :) :)
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Behave. Look them up on the net you lazy git.

That’s cracked me up. Legend so funny.

sleepyshrek
Caddy Fan

Post by sleepyshrek »

Thought at first you were calling me a lazy git. Confused or what. Then I caught on. :)
Only asked because you hear so many scare stories regarding companies refusing to pay out because of undeclared mods.
Can see that bigger or smaller wheels can make a difference so should be declared.
Windows, well, what odds can they possibly make other than make visibility better. But I will let them know.
What about remaps? Everybody declare them?
Not looking to make waves, just trying to get up to speed with what happens in the caddy world.
So much to learn, so little time and even less money.

Stay lucky folks,

Ed
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

So I’m with greenlight you can pretty much do what you like. Mapping, wheels the things they seem to look at is like extreme power and conversion. Other than that think pretty much any kind of styling. the 3 I have mentioned are the most used on here. I was with Churchill think they wanted £1100 for all my mods.

Greenlight £490.

Geraout
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Geraout »

sleepyshrek wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm Thought at first you were calling me a lazy git.
He was.

You have to declare even the smallest of modifications to the manufacturers original spec, even extras that were not on the van when delivered but could have been ordered....

eg
Steering wheel.
Mirrors.
Sat nav /audio.
Seats.
Bulkhead add/delete.
Rear lights
Wheels
etc etc
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Only playing guys that’s why Image emoji 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m with brentacre, I’ve declared all my mods (wheels, seats, stereo, nothing major) They don’t mind what you do, providing you tell them. The guy on the phone said they’ll only look at putting the premium up if you add lots more power or value. Even lowering the suspension is classed as a cosmetic mod.
So with that, I’d declare all mods
Rescue me from the swans in me
sleepyshrek
Caddy Fan

Post by sleepyshrek »

Thanks for the replies, folks.
I was interested to hear what others do.
I too will inform my insurers (Adrian Flux) and hope that they don't try to charge me for every little mod.
If they do, I'll take my three vehicles elsewhere.

Ed
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Well yeah, flux should be fine. As I said it really depends on what mods you have done and already declared. Good luck.

adels69
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by adels69 »

Brentacre were who I was with for my T5 that I modified and the premium stayed the same with every mod I gave them including remap from 84 to 130bhp.

I used to work in the industry for Saga insurance and they spent thousands trying to avoid paying claims so I've always notified anything since and the right companies as some have mentioned above will often come out cheaper than the mainstream companies anyway even with the mods. Generally people who are investing time/money in their vehicle actually care about it more and in my time in insurance had a lower accident rate but sometimes higher theft rate.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

adels69 wrote:Brentacre were who I was with for my T5 that I modified and the premium stayed the same with every mod I gave them including remap from 84 to 130bhp.

I used to work in the industry for Saga insurance and they spent thousands trying to avoid paying claims so I've always notified anything since and the right companies as some have mentioned above will often come out cheaper than the mainstream companies anyway even with the mods. Generally people who are investing time/money in their vehicle actually care about it more and in my time in insurance had a lower accident rate but sometimes higher theft rate.

I worked for SAGA to small world. In Folkestone. I totally agree these companies exist for a reason. Soon as you do something let them know. Most wont charge. Just things like camping and power or solid gold wheels. Stuff like that.

adels69
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by adels69 »

Very small world, I was at the old Pysons road unit before they moved in Broadstairs.