Suspension Setup

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Suspension Setup

Post by Liam »

yea very easy to cut its only foam but yea u only have 1” of travel on that suspension setup

im amazed that thats the way vw were selling them but it has answered a question that ive been wondering about for ages so thanks for that 👌🏻
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
J1220
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by J1220 »

Ive got it booked in for a service today and will get VW to have a look at it. Maybe there's different sizes or they may have a fix.

Thanks for your answers
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

just a quick heads up people ,after you have lowered your van and put the new alloys on just remember to tie your wheel speed sensor wires back away from the tyre as I didn't and rubbed through both rear cables :shock:
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

Picked up the van from VW van centre after service and they checked the rear suspension. According to then it is fitted correct as per manufactures spec. They were not happy to cut down the bump stops (Stop Buffers) as it would invalidate my warranty. I have escalated this as I don't see this VW lowering kit fit for purpose if it keeps on hitting bump stop when going over every bump and thats without any load :(

Lets wait and see what they come up with.
J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

Not much luck with VW or Eibach, both have said the stock bumps stomps are as they should be.

Im thinking of returning the suspension back to to stock. Can anyone advise what parts I need to do this.
Currently on the VW lowering kit.

Thanks
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Dude I’m sure it’s the bump stop. It’s way to close to the plates. You obviously want it lowered or you have gone thou sorting it out. I think most people here have cut there stops. The travel has to go somewhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

yeh he's right it's definatley your bump stops,i cut mine down and its perfect.otherwise purchase two new bump stops and cut your originals and change them over if you need to take it back in ;)
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Yeah do that.

J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

sounds like a plan!
J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

Just an update on this and a help request.

I cut the bump stops by 2 nodes and it improved the ride significantly. I use the van for work and most of the time the van is empty and no issues but I when I have to carry goods usually once a month it is generally to full capacity. I've noticed the rear tyres (inner section) are hitting the arch liners have caused it to shred.

Should I have gone with cutting just 1 node off the bump stops or Should I go back to my original plan and revert back to stock suspension as I'm always going to have issues as I'm carrying weight to full capacity?

Thanks
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

If you have adjustable suspension put it on full hard at the back that helps. If you have 235 change to 225 that helps if you have done all that you can either raise the back a bit or just cut a hole in the inner wheel arch. It’s really obvious where it’s been rubbing just cut that part away. You can’t see it when you look at the alloy as I guess you filling the arch. I cut mine 1.5 inch by about 4-5 inch along the crease of the inner arch. This is what I’ve done but I’m sure someone might have other ideas.

J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

Caddyluv wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 am If you have adjustable suspension put it on full hard at the back that helps. If you have 235 change to 225 that helps if you have done all that you can either raise the back a bit or just cut a hole in the inner wheel arch. It’s really obvious where it’s been rubbing just cut that part away. You can’t see it when you look at the alloy as I guess you filling the arch. I cut mine 1.5 inch by about 4-5 inch along the crease of the inner arch. This is what I’ve done but I’m sure someone might have other ideas.

I have the OEM approved lowering kit and wheel size is 205/50/17. Will wait for other to help if not go for the cut out on the arch liners. Any down side to cutting the arch liner? I assume it stop crap getting to the chassis?
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Liam »

wonder could you heat the liner and bend it to mke more room for the tire ? or add something above the liner when you have the hole cut ? so that the crap stays out of the arch
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Wow your getting rubbing on 17s. Coz your running 50 maybe your getting to much tyre roll. I run 18s with 45tyre which is a little to tall that’s why I had a little tyre rub. I recon that’s it.

18s should be 40
19s should be 35
20s should be 30 tyre.

J1220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by J1220 »

50 is what the upgrade factory wheels come with.

Does anyone know how to replace the bump stops as I’ll need to take van back to VW to get inspected.

On further looking at this it doesn’t seem that the rear axel is lined up correctly. The gap between the tyre and arch liner on N/S is approx 10mm less that O/S 😳