Reverse Camera - HELP NEEDED

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
EdenH
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Reverse Camera - HELP NEEDED

Post by EdenH »

Hi guys, please can someone help me out. I’m currently spending my bank holiday scratching my head wondering why I can’t get my reversing camera to work. I’ve searched for a proper guide on how to do it but didn’t find anything. I’ve spliced into the rear wiper feed for my live and fixed my black wire to one of the bolts holding on the door trim (followed what I read from a comment on how someone wired it.) Does that sound right so far?

I’ve then spliced into the black and blue wire of my reverse light and wired my video feed into it.

It’s registering on my display when I put it into reverse gear but just bringing up a black screen and ‘safe to move’ message. I’ve de-wipered my van but I’ve tried plugging the motor/pump back in and that doesn’t seem to be working at all. I’ve changed the fuse (#29 15amp) and none of it is showing any sign of getting power. Any ideas? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Reverse Camera - HELP NEEDED

Post by Doc »

The bolt on the door isn't a proper ground connection, I don't think there's a earth connection on the door frame so you are relying of conductivity through a greased hinge joint. Not ideal.
The better way would be to connect to position 1 and 5 on the wiper motor plug, ground and power respectively (I think).
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Looking closely at your photo and from my memory, have you connected the red wire to position 1 on the wiper motor plug?
As said above, I think 1 is the ground connection on that plug so technically you'd have connected two grounds. I'm open to correction on this, I don't have a diagram to hand to verify my thoughts.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
EdenH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by EdenH »

Hi Doc, thanks for your reply. You’re right, I have connected to position 1 with the red wire. So if I splice into position 5 you believe that will be the live. Can anyone confirm this? Would that be the reason I’m not getting any power to the motor though? If you couldn’t already tell - I’m terrible with electrics

Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

According to the notes I made while doing mine pin 1 is live

Wiring Connections
LIVE pin 1 at rear wiper motor
EARTH pin 5 at rear wiper motor
TRIGGER from reverse light, tap into loom by the 3 plugs on the nearside wheel arch - Black wire with a blue trace

Not sure why you’re not getting any power, it should still be live even if you used VCDS to disable wash & wipe when the wiper was removed. You need to test it with a know good source, if you don’t have a meter rig up a bulb with a couple of bits of wire
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
EdenH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by EdenH »

Thanks Beaker! I’ll borrow a multimeter over the weekend and try to get it sorted

Ben_m18
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Ben_m18 »

I’ve just done mine, works fine but because the camera is connected to the washer motors live the 4 LED’s are permanently lit. Anyway to make it so the camera only powers when in reverse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk