Caddy Not Starting

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
AlanDogg
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Caddy Not Starting

Post by AlanDogg »

Hi All,
I have a VW caddy 2005 STI (Diesel) that just stopped starting all of a sudden, Drove fine parked van up in the drive next morning going to work just turned over. I noticed the Glow plug harness was showing damaged to it, so order up another one. The new harness was 4 wire and mine was 2 wire, Anyhow after doing a continuity test i found the 2 wire one the first wire was connected to 1&2 heat plug connectors and the other to 3-4. the 4 wire one all were connected to each glow plug connector individually so I joined 3-4 together and joined 1&2 together effectively making the same combination as the original loom. I then connected it up and still engine was just turning over as before. I then checked the voltage to the 2 original wires after disconnecting the loom again and was getting negative -12volts reading on meter on each pin while my red terminal of meter was on live terminal of battery when ignition on.

i then done some goolging and a few people mentioned the temperature switch sensor, I removed this got a reading of 2.04kohms and once in hot water the resistance fell greatly so I assume this is fine? I then read the connecting terminal with ignition in the on position and I got a reading of 5v which seems OK. All fuses are fine under bonnet and in the drivers side fusebox.

I have since got hold of a OBD2 reader and found these 2 fault codes

CODES
P0403 EGR flow circuit malfunction
P0404 EGR flow CKT range/performance ??

Running out of ideas any help would be much appreciated Thanks
AlanDogg
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Caddy Not Starting

Post by AlanDogg »

30 views no reply...Oh well. thanks for looking
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Have you looked at the EGR at all, the problem the engine fault codes both point towards?

P0403
P0404

You might appreciate that there might not be any knowledge related to your problem on the forum, the SDI engine is gone from production for 8 years now. The best I can suggest is follow the "possible solutions" from the links I have given above.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AlanDogg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AlanDogg »

Hi Doc,
I managed to fix the issue , Relay and 2 dead glow plugs, However I'm seeing the coolant thermostat showing up on dash flashing red but its not overheating?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

That can also be a coolant low level indication. ;)
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AlanDogg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AlanDogg »

Hi,
sorted, Had to clean the thermostat sensor in the water bottle all working fine now. Cheers bud :)