Steering play

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Thenoom
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Steering play

Post by Thenoom »

hi there

About a month into owning a caddy and have a problem with play and a knock in the steering wheel when I move it quickly in each direction when the wheels are straight. When the power steering kicks in it’s fine and can’t feel any play when the steering wheel is turned

Checked all steering joints for play and all seems well. Checked steering wheel bolt and it’s tight , also checked the clamp bolt on the u joint on the column and that is also tight

There is no knocking and play when steering wheel is not centred.the knocking comes from the column area, not in steering mechanism

Looking at past mot history, it failed a few years ago on a steering issue but not sure what, got me thinking maybe the column has been off in the past possibly. Not sure

Could this possibly be fixed by adjusting the rack, or could it be a component in the column? Any ideas ?

Cheers!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Steering play

Post by Doc »

The subframe bolts are a common source of the knocking you describe.
The holes in the subframe are about 15mm, the bolts are M12 but narrow along the shank. This is useful for lining up the subframe when the chassis is not 100% perfect but it can allow lateral movement of the subframe if the bolts work loose.
I replaced my subframe bolts with a revised version that doesn't narrow and has a wider flanged head to help grip the subframe.

To prove it is the subframe, apply some spray paint where the chassis and subframe meet. Once the paint drys, take the van for a spin and after check if the paint has broken.

The subframe bolts are stretch bolts and therefore single use. If they have been removed and refitted for the steering related MOT problem, they will likely have not been tightened back up properly.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Thenoom
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Thenoom »

Thanks for your reply, something I didn’t think about. Will check it out . Are these the bolts that secure the rack to subframe?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

The problematic bolts are those that hold the subframe to the chassis.
The steering rack to subframe is quite solid.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Thenoom
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Thenoom »

Cool, will have a look later.thanks much appreciated :D
Thenoom
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Thenoom »

Had a look today and behold one of the bolts was loose! It just spins in hole, I even think the bolt that was in there wasn’t long enough . Found and ordered the bolt and spacer kit you mentioned and fingers crossed all will be well after.
Thenoom
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Thenoom »

Narrowed it all down to play in the column. Might get a used column any idea how difficult it is to swap columns?
Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

I've the same sort of issue, might as well get the revised kit. @DOC do you have the part numbers for the revised parts? Also will they fit a 2K 2009 model?

Cheers
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I don't have a part number to hand, sorry.
A Google search for "VW subframe bolt upgrade" should point you in the correct direction.

Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

Just to clarify -
Darkside sell these https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... tform.html

Is that what you fitted @Doc?

Thanks again
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Yes, although I did all four positions where the subframe mounts to the chassis so I used two of those Darkside kits.

Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

Awesome, thanks @Doc
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

I just fitted this kit from ECS to my Touran:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/e ... cs01-01kt/

It's a lot more affordable than some of the other options.

I had the VW spacer things fitted to the rearmost bolts, and when I removed them I could see the witness makes from them moving too!

They appeared to be locked onto the subframe side - they have marks from the machining on the surfaces. On the body side, they were worn smooth from moving - the zinc plating looked polished.

I fitted the ECS kit last week, so can't really comment on moving, but I can't see how it would move at all now.

I also fitted a power flex anti-lift kit (to increase my caster) and camber adjustment bushes. They front end is SOOO much better than the standard powerflex that was in there. Only problem was the lock collars don't fit the bolt head end of the rear mounts - they could just be trimmed though.

It's made a huge difference to the front end - much sharper turn in and less understeer - something it suffered from a bit, with a slight lift, and the R32 drive train fitted.