Rear door handle

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Rear door handle

Post by Golfchick »

So since buying the van the back door has been pretty rubbish at opening. Sometimes you can pull on the latch and nothing happens and the handle seems to stick half way and you have to force it back before trying again. Assuming it had something to do with the locking mechanism and the supporting plate which had one mount snapped I replaced it and its not made a blind bit of a difference. I decided to leave it til I fit the interior handle mod which would hopefully reveal where the issue is a little more. Fitted it at the weekend and it works faultlessly with no sticking at all. The rear handle is getting pretty annoying now, sometimes causes my nail to bend just from trying to shove it back. Has anybody experienced this problem or perhaps some ideas as to where to narrow down the issue and what to replace next to try to sort it?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Rear door handle

Post by Doc »

I've seen this before where the handle hasn't been refitted correctly after a wiper delete.
Have you had any work done on the back door of your van that might have ended up in the handle being refitted incorrectly?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Well it’s funny you say that, the dealer did a load of colour coding before selling the van and I bet he removed the strip there to paint so I wonder if it wasn’t quite removed or replaced right. Do you know in particular which bit caused the error? Cheers!
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

I had a similar problem and it was the mechanism wire was not sitting correctly

This part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Ah that bit was removed when I replaced the lock so I’m fairly sure I put it back correctly.
brooneye
Hyper Poster

Post by brooneye »

Double check, mine kept coming out. Also check all the bolts are in and tight up on the handle

Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Do you know what, you were flipping right! When we removed it to replace the lock mech, it was a notch lower down so never thought anything of it. Just been out and moved it up and it flippin well works perfect!!!!
Afield23
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Afield23 »

Any chance you took a photo? I have the same problem and will be looking at this myself soon. Did you just remove the panel to get to it?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

brooneye
Hyper Poster

Rear door handle

Post by brooneye »

Glad it helped, I know how frustrating it was climbing through the van to open the back door

Last edited by brooneye on Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

Ah just seen the photo further up the thread. Is the notch the top of that plastic part as shown?

Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Mine had been fitted with the bit where it swaps from cable to black, lower down so it sat inside the square area. It meant that the cable wasn't quite up to tension so the handle didnt spring back correctly. Its obvious now as once I moved it the black section sat a lot more securely.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The spring on the inside metal part of the handle is what returns the handle into position, the lock doesn't have any returning force for the handle.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

I inspected mine earlier and that plastic part was inside the other as you said yours was. I tried moving it up a notch but it didn't seem correct having it that way - are you sure it shouldn't be located inside the plastic housing? It made a prominent click when I put it back to how it was which to me says that's how it should be?

Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Well at first I thought it had fixed it but used it a few times today and it's still not right although it does seem slightly better. Looked at the 'how to fit rear door handle' thread and can see other people have it lower down too. The cable on mine is certainly more slack when its fitted lower down. Will have to take it apart yet again to see if I can track down why on earth it doesn't work right!
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

My only issue is that the handle doesn't spring back if you pull it when it's locked. I'm not sure if this is perfectly normal as I don't have another van to check it on. When it's unlocked it works perfectly. I hope you get to the bottom of yours, these little issues drive me crazy