Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Caddy bridge
200BHP+

Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Post by Caddy bridge » Sun May 27, 2018 5:10 pm

As above has anyone got a picture of the side where the hinge side is where the pin goes through?

Wanting to fit mine next week and it would help.

Caddy bridge
200BHP+

Re: Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Post by Caddy bridge » Mon May 28, 2018 10:18 am

Anyone :?:

SnoWhite
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbikin ... G_0542.JPG

SnoWhite

Caddy bridge
200BHP+

Post by Caddy bridge » Wed May 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Great thankyou,is there a retainer in one of the eyelets to stop the pin coming out.?

SnoWhite
200BHP+

Post by SnoWhite » Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Sort of.

Whilst the photo is the bracket on my 4 motion maxi - I guess pretty much the same spare carrier mounting is used on other Caddy models. On mine that pin has a pair of small protruding lugs at the pointy end which can only just pass through a matching keyhole in the bracket attached to the underside of the van. Basically the pin can only be inserted/removed when the cranked end of the pin is horizontal. Whenever the cranked end of the pin is rotated until it is hanging down it cannot be removed. It is also worth pointing out that it is then prevented from moving from that position whenever there is a wheel placed on the spare wheel bracket.

Hope that makes sense

SnoWhite

Caddy bridge
200BHP+

Post by Caddy bridge » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Done it today thanks!

CarlettoXT
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CarlettoXT » Thu May 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Hello!

I need help to install the spare wheel on my Caddy 4 motion.

I bought all the black metallic pieces that you can see in the photo of SnoWhite, but I have not understood how to block the upper one to the chassis.
I tried to look carefully, but I didn't see bolts, hole or anything, can anyone help me with some photos or explanations?

Thanks!!!

I
SnoWhite wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbikin ... G_0542.JPG

SnoWhite

SnoWhite
200BHP+

Post by SnoWhite » Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm

That spare wheel carrier component is designed to be fitted by VW in the factory where the bracket is spot welded at numerous points to the underside of the floor.

If the bracket is being installed as a retrofit - you either need to pay a garage with suitable spot welding kit to attach it for you, or if you plan on doing the work yourself, then drill and bolt the black frame in place using plenty of short stainless steel bolts drilled through the bracket where it touches the underside of the floor. Obviously before drilling always check both sides for wires etc - OK there was nothing to worry about on my Maxi - but you never know if someone has been busy adding aftermarket stuff - in which case you could find speaker wires or reversing camera feeds running in very weird places.

As you can see on that photo - the load floor is formed from corrugated metal. So by only drilling through the floor at the lower point the head of the fixing bolts will appear in the corresponding valley in the floor - and even with a nylock nut and washer it will still be below the floor.

Don't forget a decent coat of rust preventative paint. especially if you often drive in areas where road salt is used a lot to keep roads clear in the winter.

If you do fit a spare wheel then it is a good idea to remove clean and reinstate the spare at least once a year and apply grease to the mounting bolts to stop them rusting in place.

SnoWhite

CarlettoXT
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CarlettoXT » Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks a lot for the perfect description, now I must think what to do with mine..probably I will weld the piece to the chassis, because to remove the plastic of the floor I must remove all the Others pieces of the inside.

I did that work when I do the insulation and it was quite destructive for the plastic connectors.