Front drivers side spring has snapped

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
krisde83
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Front drivers side spring has snapped

Post by krisde83 »

Hi everyone. Fairly new to this forum and needing some help and guidance. The drivers side suspension on my caddy van is damaged and i really want to tackle the job myself as refuse to pay the money garages charge. I have already removed the front wheel and the firewall to get access to the top of the strut.

The problem i have is that when the spring has snapped it is no longer in the top mounting bracket so im gonna need to use some spring compressers to release the tension of the spring before removing the whole assembly. Im also not sure what condition the strut mounting bracket and bearing is in. I have pictures but unsure how to upload them for you to see.

Has anyone got any how to guides on here or any general advice and tips they can give me. I would also be looking to find decent places to buy new parts. Came across autodoc online has anyone used them before and are their prices decent.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Front drivers side spring has snapped

Post by Caddyluv »

I have a complete suspension you could have the front no problem come pick it up or I can post it at your cost. If your taking it out you might as well replace the top mount £50 from vw.

Pictures use a app called Tapatalk. you can buy a spring compressor but you must have a buddy in the trade that you can borrow one. People have used all sorts to compress the spring.

Just check the suspension 50mm or 55mm. Not sure if it matters but mines 55mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

Maybe better to replace the whole shock and coil spring assembly than to replace the spring alone. I think I would go down that road if it was mine.
Last edited by Bionicman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

I have that to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk