Anyone with a caddy had fitted rear seats and bike?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Anyone with a caddy had fitted rear seats and bike?

Post by cat1 »

Hi guys

Hoping for a bit of advice!

I want to buy a sporty looking caddy so that I can transport one or two bicycles in the back easily (without taking wheels off). I may sleep in it for the odd night too. But, I also need rear seats. I prefer the look of the SWB but have been thinking the maxi/kombi may be more practical but it's hard to get a nice sporty looking one.

So the options are:

A: to get a sporty looking caddy SWB and fit rear folding seats (and maybe rear windows?). Has anyone done this and been able to fit a bike in with the rear seats folded? I could probably remove one of the seats.
B: get a maxi panel van and get a sporty facelift (I can't seem to find many sporty maxi's!) plus rear seats (seems expensive option)
C: get a maxi kombi and get a sporty facelift

Any recommendations for places to go for the facelifts much appreciated too!

Thanks
Cat
PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Anyone with a caddy had fitted rear seats and bike?

Post by PaulC61 »

Hi Cat, I went for a maxi Kombi so as I had a second row of seats, but could then fold them up to get 2 mtb’s in. My 29er does need the front wheel to be turned so that the tail gate will close. I think the swb caddies are better looking but for lugging loads of gear about without cramming it in then lwb is the way to go. Current trip trip to Derbyshire involves 2 mtbs, box of bike stuff, 2 large bags, large box for food, cool box plugged into 12v system, 2 backpacks, hanging clothes and various other stuff all carried in ease. As far as sporty looks go then there is plenty of inspiration on this forum, build what works for you. I’ve left mine at standard height as it suits what I need the caddy to do. Check out my build in the signature below.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

If you can afford one, then Maxi Life is the way to go. Remember all the extra length over the SWB is extra interior space. This means my 7 seat facelift life model can be quickly altered to carry what I want - car van or camper. The rear two rows of seats can be removed to provide a massive load space. Indeed on occasions I have carried two full sized motorbikes inside mine, which once unloaded, then doubles up as a camper van during events.
If you went maxi you could probably keep the middle row in situ and still carry a heap of pedal cycles in the boot.
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cat1 »

Thanks for the replies SnoWhite and Paul61!

Paul, you've done a great job with your caddy, I love the wheels and bike rack. I think I will go for the kombi now and do some tweaks to the outside. How do you find good people to do the tweaks? I wouldn't have a clue myself!
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

Thanks Cat, depends on the tweaks ie bumper, lights lowering etc you want. Where do you live? You might get recommendations for your area from some of the other forum users. Get your post count up so you can get access to check out some of the builds in the gallery and builds section.
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cat1 »

Ok, thanks Paul.

I live in Wrexham but don't mind travelling
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

cat1 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 am Ok, thanks Paul.

I live in Wrexham but don't mind travelling
Try putting an introduction post up in the new members section. Ask for recommendations for the work you want done in and around your area.
Say goodbye to your spare cash once you start modding your caddy :lol:
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Main reason I bought my Caddy was for bike transport. I got a Maxi Life in the end, as LWB was way to go for size (as indicated the extra 410mm you get is all inside), and then the life version because it was going to end up as a daily drive so needed rear seats, etc from day 1, before any mods started. Another plus point for getting a Life(!) is that it's classed as MPV on V5 so has same speed limits as a car. It's more expensive than a regular Maxi, but once I'd added up the cost of fitting seats & windows, carpet, etc. the price difference was not that much. Most Life's also come with a tailgate too rather than barn doors which I've found much easier for bikes.

Progress so far in build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095. Mods on hold at the minutes as I'm busy at work and this is bike weather so making the most of actually using it. I'll finish the exterior stuff end of the summer and then get to work on the interior transformation to proper day van with bed, curtains, decent lighting, leisure battery, etc.

I can comfortably get 2 bikes in with front wheels off (this for stability more than anything, they would go wheels on if I had a different type of rack) with the rear seats still in. Great thing about Caddy OEM rear seats is the flexibility, either all in, all out, backs down or split folded forward.

Here it is with a bike:

Single rear seat is folded flat with a box of stuff in front of the bike, double seat is folded down and forward to maximise space.

I could probably squeeze a 3rd bike in too, and still keep one of the rear seats up (e.g. 3x bikes, 3x people).

Bike rack is this:
http://www.minoura.jp/english/transport ... o-tf2.html
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
willhouse
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by willhouse »

I do pretty much the same as Mark with my Caddy life, albeit I have the bikes mounted in reverse on a Minoura Versa rack. Front wheels out, rack tied to the luggage mounts.
With the 60 40 split I can thread the back wheels down the folded up 40 slot and still get 4 people and luggage in!

I cant see a SWB caddy being anywhere near as versatile as a maxi for transporting bikes!
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cat1 »

Thanks willhouse and mark1a, that's really useful information !! I hadn't really considered the life but I can see the benefits.

Cat
willhouse
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by willhouse »

I think touran rear seat conversions are a bit more versatile as you can remove a middle seat to slot a bike down the centre, but the Caddy Life's are still fine as standard in terms of fitting bikes.

I'm selling my Caddy life at the moment, in 2 minds whether to put Life or Touran seats in the replacement I am hopefully buying this week.
Brock
Caddy Fan

Post by Brock »

Another vote for the Caddy Maxi here.

I have a 2014 Maxi Kombi and can get two mountain bikes in the back with the single rear seat folded.
No wheels removed, stood on their wheels, using straps and anchor points on the floor and side.

We took 4 people and 4 mountain bikes up to Scotland last year, two bikes and luggage in the back, plus two bikes on the roof rack.

If you take the rear seats out completely, you can fit 4 bikes in with ease.
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cat1 »

Thanks Brock, that's handy to know! I definitely want to be able to just roll in the bikes with least amount of faffing!
cat1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cat1 »

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I am picking up my new caddy maxi life on Wednesday :D I am going to cycle 130 miles to collect it :lol:
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Nice one, don’t forget pics and mods roadmap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095