Spray painting van parts

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Spray painting van parts

Post by Calamity Kev »

I want to spray some side rail covers I've just ordered and know my paint code.
Having never sprayed anything before, it is enough to do or should I just get a spray shop to do it????

cheers
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Spray painting van parts

Post by Bionicman »

Hi calamity kev,
Spraying parts is not to difficult to do providing you do the prep properly, especially sanding and cleaning. Use panel prep and tack cloths to clean any residue and bits off the piece before priming, top coat and clear coat. Everybody has to start somewhere and you will never get the hang of it if you do not try. I have made plenty of mistakes spraying various things over the years but its the only way to learn. Maybe just try spraying one rail cover first and see how you go with it. Prep is the key to a good finish and only spray in warm dust free conditions. For main body work spraying I leave it to the professionals and even then they can sometimes get it wrong.
Last edited by Bionicman on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calamity Kev
100BHP+

Post by Calamity Kev »

Bionicman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 pm Hi calamity kev,
Spraying parts is not to difficult to do providing you do the prep properly, especially sanding and cleaning. Use panel prep and tack cloths to clean any residue and bits off the piece before priming, top coat and clear coat. Everybody has to start somewhere and you will never get the hang of it if you do not try. I have made plenty of mistakes spraying various things over the years but its the only way to learn. Maybe just try spraying one rail cover first and see how you go with it. Prep is the key to a good finish and only spray in warm conditions. For main body work spraying I leave it to the professionals and even then they can sometimes get it wrong.
Great replay thanks! Thats it then, time to give spraying a go. Don't suppose you can recommend decent brand of paint?
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

For the primer coat/base coat I would use U-POL etch primer to ensure good adhesion to the bare metal. Do not try to spray it to cover it in one pass. You are better of just spraying one - three light coats of primer with drying time in between then rather trying to cover the piece in one pass. As regarding top coat/colour coat you can purchase made up colour match spray paint in the form of a rattle can from your local auto paint spray supplier (If they offer/do this service) and also VW do touch up spray rattle cans. Test the colour match first on the reverse side of the piece that you are spraying or any part that will not be seen for colour match and preferably check it in daylight. I/we know that you intend on spraying the side rail covers so make sure you spray the back of it also as obviously this will rust if not sprayed.
Calamity Kev
100BHP+

Post by Calamity Kev »

Nice one, thanks for the advice. I'll report back on how i get on.
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I find the trickiest part is the clear. Halfords now do a bodyshop clear that I've had ok results with.

I give the part a quick dusting all over of clear and then go back immediately and give it a heavier coat.

The 3rd coat is the one you want to get right and its easy to not put on enough or too much. Too little and you can do another coat, too much and you'll get a run which can be wetsanded out once its fully dried (overnight) and either polished or adding another coat of lacquer.

Ideally you want to wait until the lacquer has flashed off the solvents in it in between coats and thats probably where most of the skill comes in, knowing when to spray again. You want the lacquer at just the right cure that its still tacky for the next coat to adhere to but it won't be tacky to the touch.

Another thing to watch is that if you start adding too many clear coats you will change the depth of the colour underneath, especially with pearls and metallics. They start to go darker.
Calamity Kev
100BHP+

Post by Calamity Kev »

First one done fairly please with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Bikes Drink Beer