Help- rear carpet lining wet

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
loglifter
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Help- rear carpet lining wet

Post by loglifter »

Evening all, new member needing help already. Ply lined and carpeted rear cargo area a couple of months back and a mighty fine job I thought I made too but just discovered tonight after a couple of days solid rain up here that part of the carpeting is sodden-namely the sunken recess in front of the drivers side wheel arch and all along the bottom of said wheel arch where it meets the floor. Every where else is bone dry-top of wheel arch/side walls/ceiling above wet patch all perfect. Any one else have same problem, cheers
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Help- rear carpet lining wet

Post by Caddyluv »

Probably the roof bolts or if you have a roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

It could also be a badly fitted windscreen or maybe accumulated crap in the scuttle panel.
loglifter
Caddy Fan

Post by loglifter »

Will check roof bolts but it’s never had a roof rack so don’t think they’ll ever have been touched. As said,rest of van is bone dry, only this small area in rear. When I carpeted it I had all rear door seal off and carpeted right out to edges,trimmed carpet and put door seals back on over carpet, wonder if that was right thing to do, maybe water percolating in this way? Any other ideas? Cheers
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

Hi loglifter,
Did not read your post properly, I thought you was on about the front. But yes if you have had your door seals off to carpet the rear it is likely where the water is getting in.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

I took my seals off. I’ve had no issues. Yeah just double check.

Bluesie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bluesie »

Also worth checking the high visibility brake light. Sometimes the rubber gasket degrades and can allow water in. I had this on my T5 and it took me ages to track it down. If you see any of the gasket hanging out the edges then it's a sign that it's gone.
loglifter
Caddy Fan

Post by loglifter »

Cheers for all replies, will check everything suggested and let u all know
loglifter
Caddy Fan

Post by loglifter »

Finished work early so had a go at all your suggestions. Roof bolts/hi level brake light seals all good. Took door seal off and re-seated it but it’s dry all round. Have taken carpeting out of the sunken area in front of wheel arch, it’s sodden anyway and was easy to lift out cos the water has affected the adhesive but water has been dripping down into carpet in the area behind the front seats which would be the foot wells if it was a combi. Ply line side is also bone dry as is all wheel arch apart from where it meets floor. Starting to annoy me now where this is getting in!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Maybe the seal along the roof panel and side panel has failed, it wouldn't be the first one to.
I'd take the roof lining down and get someone with a hose outside while looking inside for the leak source.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by tommyzooom »

Just an idea, but have you deleted the rear wiper, and blanked off the washer fluid hose? Perhaps that is leaking?
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
loglifter
Caddy Fan

Post by loglifter »

well, spent this afternoon trying to find this damn leak, took side ply lining off and its bone dry behind there so nothing coming in through roof/sides, checked door rubber and re-fitted (again!). Deleted the rear wiper a while ago but plug is well sealed. Parts of the rear door seal along the top and in the bottom drivers side corner dont seem to be sitting absolutely perfectly so I've duct taped over them to see if that makes a difference, if so I'll be ordering a new rubber from VW and see if I can finally sort this.Its to piss down here tomorrow so guess I'll be sitting in the back of the van all afternoon with a torch :D
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

loglifter wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 pm well, spent this afternoon trying to find this damn leak, took side ply lining off and its bone dry behind there so nothing coming in through roof/sides, checked door rubber and re-fitted (again!). Deleted the rear wiper a while ago but plug is well sealed. Parts of the rear door seal along the top and in the bottom drivers side corner dont seem to be sitting absolutely perfectly so I've duct taped over them to see if that makes a difference, if so I'll be ordering a new rubber from VW and see if I can finally sort this.Its to piss down here tomorrow so guess I'll be sitting in the back of the van all afternoon with a torch :D
I can think of better things to do in the back of my Caddy. ;)
loglifter
Caddy Fan

Post by loglifter »

Well I finally seem to have cured wet carpet issue,when I carpeted wheel arches I brought it down and onto load bed a couple of inches(this was the part that was sodden) so I trimmed it all backImage
Then I removed door rubber and trimmed carpet back, re-checked seal and sprayed the it with water displacing white grease and re-fitted and all seems ok, carpet under drivers seat is now bone dry too so floor is back in load bed and all’s good with the world lolImage