Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
scottcaroline
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by scottcaroline »

Hi everyone just bought a 2014 caddy van 1.6tdi/102 , Had a old 1.9tdi until i was written off bye a sleepy taxi driver!! , My old van i had the egr blocked off and cat removed and i had a chip soldered in, Looking for info on getting the egr blocked and according to darkside developments i have to get rid of the dpf is this correct? as all the new laws coming in i don't want it to fail on the annual tests, I was thinking about getting a mild tune/map on it as the lad who sold me it told me it had the vw map update and I've herd bad things about it/egr etc doing more and causing problems. Thanks in advance if you have any info
scottcaroline
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: new member

Post by scottcaroline »

No one helpful on this forum? Cant read any posts about it so have to ask the question
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The EGR system is used to generate the required heat to regenerate the DPF, as such removing the EGR will in time cause your DPF to fail to regenerate and block up. Hence the reluctance of your tuner to do a EGR removal without DPF removal also.
Removing the EGR is just as much of a MOT failure as removing the DPF.

If it's any consolation, the VW emissions update often causes EGR failure within a very short time after the update, usually on the way home after the update. As a trust building measure, VW offer an extended warranty on engine components who's failure might be attributed to the emissions update. You might still be covered under this extended warranty.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Once your post count is higher you will find your questions have been discussed fairly often.

It is entirely up to individuals to decide what if anything they change on their Caddy however what you need to be alert to is the increasingly detailed examination which modern vehicles are subject to. Inherently whatever emission standards applied at the time it was first registered sets the benchmark against which it will be tested. The standards applying to your new Caddy will be far more demanding than your earlier 1.9 engine vehicle.

Obviously vehicle manufacturers cannot change overnight all their various models to meet new emission standards. So often roll out the update of models to the new emission requirements well before they were actually required. Each time there is a new standard introduced, VW obviously have loads of cars and vans to update, so often the process starts months, if not years early. Even so vehicles which were updated before the formal deadline of the new standard are only recorded on the V5 as meeting the earlier standard. This gives rise to a grey area over whether owners can legitimately remove any stuff which is not strictly required for the vehicle to meet the earlier standard which it is certified as meeting.

I suspect things like EGR or DPF delete may have been possible for vehicles registered against Euro 1 or 2 standards but almost certainly will not meet the standards applicable for a 2014 registered vehicle. So if you go ahead be aware testers are now explicitly instructed to check that mandatory stuff like cats, DPF or adBlue systems is present and working. Hopefully a tester will chip in and confirm whether or not your vehicle falls within the group where as part of the test they connect a computer to the diagnostics port to check for unauthorised modifications - like disabling dashboard warning lights.

As for the great emissions scandal - if indeed your 1.6 has already been "fixed", hopefully all will be well.

However there have been far too many people on here reporting serious issues subsequently - with dead injectors a fairly common and expensive complaint. Hence if you have the funds then I would get the Caddy retuned. However there is a huge difference between the cheapo man with laptop approach who will basically download a map from the web, take your money and head for the hills - it may be fine but may leave you with a dog of a car. Ideally you should book with a decent tuning firm like Pendle - who offer a discount for Caddy2K forum members - and use a rolling road to create a custom map which will get the best out of your specific vehicle and provide before and after printouts showing just how much power increase has been achieved. Whilst the Caddy will be astonishingly better to drive afterwards, perhaps the most important thing is their mapping can help reverse any detrimental effects of the fix.

Sadly too many wait for the Caddy emission control systems to get bunged up as a result of the fix - before realising expensive problems are brewing. OH yes if the fix has already been done, then make sure you get the paperwork from the previous owner as it may provide some warranty cover if(when) the injectors start conking out.

SnoWhite
scottcaroline
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by scottcaroline »

Thanks for the info, Im living in dublin now so if anyone knows a decent tuner to remap it over here i would appreciate it, Dont know if the test is as stringent as the uk? i had my old van erg completely blocked off and dpf cut out and a pipe just welded in and it passed every year! , and as far as i know if it was fitted it had to be their, A good tune would be better than what is in it to start with even if i can't remove the egr/dpf Thanks again