Diesel Smell in Cabin from vents after warming up, getting a sore throat

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
KiSystems
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Diesel Smell in Cabin from vents after warming up, getting a sore throat

Post by KiSystems »

Hi, just purchased a 1.6 Caddy, 2015 the other day and I've noticed a problem and getting really worried. It's a September 2015 caddy, with 34k on the clock and the day I bought it home after a 30 mile run on the motorway, I noticed a diesel smell when I pulled up at the lights. I thought it was the car in front of me and thought nothing of it, later that night I got a sore throat and the following day had the same again after using for the first day. Every time the vehicle is stationary after warming up, I get this raw diesel / fume smell in the car. I popped down to euro car parts and popped a new cabin filter in on Saturday, hoping that would solve the problem. Started the van after swapping the filter, blasted the vents and bingo no smell, problem solved. Well not quite. I took the van out today and all seemed well, had the fans on for a bit and no smell, then on my way back home I needed to put the fans on again to clear the window mist and got that horrible smell again and now my throat is sore once again. I had to keep the windows slightly open in the rain in fear of poisoning myself from fumes / gasses. I've read various thing and but am at a total loss as to what this could be. Having checked under the hood, it looks like one of the injectors has been replaced, the one on the first cylinder and when I try to sniff the source of the smell it seems to be coming from the back of the engine. The van drives perfectly well, no shuddering or power loss that I can tell off. This has really annoyed the hell out of me as it's one of the lowest mileage vehicles I have purchased and having owned Golf's and Audi's for the best part of my life I was hoping the vans would be just as reliable. Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on what this could be, need to fix this urgently as the van is needed for work over the next 3 weeks solid. :cry: :(
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Diesel Smell in Cabin from vents after warming up, getting a sore throat

Post by Liam »

you must have a diesel leak from when the injector was replaced and its pooled somewhere on or near the exhaust and its burning off i had similar on my old opel vivaro would come home from work with a sore throat and raw eyes it might be worth a look
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
KiSystems
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KiSystems »

Thanks Liam, yes it looks like it's leaking diesel. Put some tissue around the replaced injector head and it stinks of diesel, did the same on the others and they all seem fine. Found out from previous owner some mobile mechanic did the repair, have the van booked to go in to VW Cordwallis tomorrow for investigation and repair, hoping this isn't going to be an expensive job.
KiSystems
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KiSystems »

Man, this is proving to become a night mare. I got hold of the mechanic that did the repair, very nice chap up in Harrow, he asked me to bring the Caddy back to him which I did this morning.

Once I got there, he cleaned up the little pools of diesel and identified the leak on the replaced injector. He claimed they were tight and didn't want to over tighten, so he took the metal pipe off at both ends and reseated it all and tightened it all back up. Ran the engine for 5 mins, all good no leak and I was like phew, what a relief. Left and headed off to my job, 3 hours late! Once I got there I thought let me double check to make certain the leak had gone. Whilst there was no pool of diesel, when I put my finger underneath the nut, it was wet with diesel.

Rang him back up and he said he would speak with the injector supplier. Later that afternoon he called back and suggested replacing the line pipe (metal one) that feeds the injector, part cost is around £50+VAT. I filled up before heading home and after a 30 or so mile journey, I noticed the fuel gauge was going down literally by the mile or something. I'm worried there is another leak, the cabin wasn't smelling like before but my confidence in VW has literally been shaken.

Got home, researched more and more and looks like this caddy has had the "diesel gate" fix applied which could explain many of my issues. I'm soo pi**ed off right now having spent around £10k on a workhorse which is turning out to be a more hassle than what it's worth. I had other vehicle options, which I now wish I took, but I love the Caddy. I'm so furious about learning of all the problems with these vans, EGR, injector issues and so forth especially after the so called fix had been applied. Is anyone else in the same boat, or am I just over reacting. Would appreciate any help and if anyone wants a lot mileage caddy, get in touch. I should be focussing on working and making a living but the last 3 days have been consumed with trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this 3 year old, low mileage van, that I seem I'm not alone in. :cry: :evil: :mad: :? :shock: :(
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Liam »

there was a previous mention of people getting the diesel gate emissions fix applied and then having injector issues and vw stood over them as the fix had been applied might be worth a try
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
KiSystems
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KiSystems »

Thought I would update everyone about this, so it was recommended to replace the metal pipe that feeds the injector, picked one up from TPS for £50. Had the mechanic fit it and bingo, leak all fixed. Now on to getting other bits sorted for the van, such as carpet lining and racking.
Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Calamity Kev »

KiSystems wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:40 am Thought I would update everyone about this, so it was recommended to replace the metal pipe that feeds the injector, picked one up from TPS for £50. Had the mechanic fit it and bingo, leak all fixed. Now on to getting other bits sorted for the van, such as carpet lining and racking.
Glad its sorted, thanks for the update.
Ride Bikes Drink Beer