Idiot needs advice fitting dash storage

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
cadoibadoi
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Idiot needs advice fitting dash storage

Post by cadoibadoi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Good afternoon

I've ordered the dash storage box for my 2011 Caddy Maxi (ex British Gas), part: 2K585832975/R

I had a quick look at removing the factory one, but I'm not sure how to remove it properly and fit the new one!

I am sure it is just a case of applying a bit of leverage, but can anyobe here tell me if it just pops out using a flat head screwdriver, or is there much more to it?

I don't want to get annoyed and smash up the dash.

Thanks

CADOIBADOI

tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Idiot needs advice fitting dash storage

Post by tommyzooom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Two clips furthest from the windscreen need released, there are two holes for a small screwdriver.
If you've the new part, you should be able to work it out from that.

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:40 pm

You will need to release the metal clips.
There are two slots on the dash tray where you can get a narrow pick tool in. You should be able to see it on your new lidded top tray.
2013 1.6TDI, Superplus Wheels MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, 2016 Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, TRC front splitter, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, mk6 GTI Front & rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, 2016 MIB head unit

I have genuine VCDS Hex V2, VagCAN Pro, KESS, K-Tag for any of your programming needs.

Sunn159ti
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Sunn159ti » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Is the lidded storage box still available from VW then? What was it cost and part no if so please?

Sean1066
100BHP+

Post by Sean1066 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 pm

cadoibadoi wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:28 pm
Good afternoon

I've ordered the dash storage box for my 2011 Caddy Maxi (ex British Gas), part: 2K585832975/R

I had a quick look at removing the factory one, but I'm not sure how to remove it properly and fit the new one!

I am sure it is just a case of applying a bit of leverage, but can anyobe here tell me if it just pops out using a flat head screwdriver, or is there much more to it?

I don't want to get annoyed and smash up the dash.

Thanks

CADOIBADOI
Hi Cadoibadoi
If don’t mind telling me.
Where did you get the dash storage from I been looking for weeks and can’t seem to find one 🤔

Bionicman
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 pm

Please do not use a screwdriver to pry it out as you will damage the surrounding dashboard plastic trim. Purchase and use plastic trim removal tools which are cheap to buy and they will also have many other uses in the future for other trim removal Then after taking purchase of the new dash storage unit note/reference where the two nearest to you metal retaining clips are. This will give you the precise location where to insert two really thin plastic trim removal tools. Push these two thin plastic removal tools down at least an inch and half at the metal retaining clips locations as per reference from your new dash storage unit and then get your fingers in the existing dash storage tray front wall nearest to you (whilst sat in the drivers seat) and pull up with a little bit of force but not excessively and it should release. If it does not release you have not got the trim removal tools inserted enough or they are inserted in the wrong locations. I myself used two eating knives to release mine although I did put a few layers of duct/duck tape on top of each other along the front edge (Nearest to you when sat in the drivers seat) on the dashboard to prevent and protect any marring/damage of the surrounding plastic dashboard from the use of eating knives as trim removal tools when removing but this method of removal is at your own risk. I can't explain it any better than that really. I will say that they can be a bit tight to get out but just take your time to avoid damage to the dashboard plastic. You can do it.

cadoibadoi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cadoibadoi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Sean1066 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 pm
Hi Cadoibadoi
If don’t mind telling me.
Where did you get the dash storage from I been looking for weeks and can’t seem to find one 🤔
Hi There

I ordered off EBay from Germany, the Ebay part number is: 382184206023 £129.38 including DHL carriage. I was out the first time they tried to deliver but they came back next day, very good parcel tracking using German DHL website.

I've attached pictures of the stickers from the box and the delivery note. 99.9% sure its a genuine part.
VWBox 001.jpg
VWNote 001.jpg

cadoibadoi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cadoibadoi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the good advice, once I get round to fitting it I'll take a few pics and post them as well in case it helps anyone.

Cheers.