Leaf spring locator stud size?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Leaf spring locator stud size?

Post by PaulC61 »

Does anyone happen to know the size of the locator stud that is in the middle of the leaf spring? The garage rang today to say that they could not fit the Eibach Pro-Kit as the plate that sits on top of the leaf spring and clamps to the axle has a hole that is too small to go over the stud. The bottom plate seems fine.
Last edited by PaulC61 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Re: Leaf spring bolt size?

Post by PaulC61 »

I should also mention that it is a single leaf spring.

It seems as if it is a stud that is in the middle of the leaf spring. The hole in the top plate of the Eibach kit is to small to go over it.
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Post by andyreflexsilver »

It’s a 17mm, you take it out and turn it upside down to fit the axle flip kit, should be a bigger hole in the bottom plate to accommodate the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

Not on this one Andy, it is a fixed stud. The garage did try removing it and couldn't. So either it's permanent or it is locked in there solid. Not sure to be honest, pretty gutted as the back had to be reassembled. Going to be similar to what is in the photo.

andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Re: Leaf spring locator stud size?

As far as I know, there are two types, one is a nylon dowel that just pulls out and should be replaced with one supplied from your kit, or the nut type that you slacken the nut with a spanner and hold the dowel with mole grips or similar to remove it? Sorry I cant be of help other than that, hope you get sorted!

PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

Hi, thanks for the info mate. No replacement dowel was in the kit, even if there was a dowel the hole in the top leaf spring plate would be too small. The kit seems to be the one for the nut type. Even Eibach reckon that I have the right kit although they are going to find out more on Monday as I have sent them a bunch of photos. I have also contacted KW to get their advice on the situation. Watch this space as they say.

Just as an edit to this post when speaking to the garage this morning I mentioned that this was a late registered MK3(more or less one of the last MK3's), their comment was that it might even have the leaf springs from a MK4. Not sure if that is possible?
Last edited by Doc on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post.
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

Well done andyreflexsilver. You was spot on with the removable plastic dowel. I asked a eBay seller and they gave me the information. It appears that this dowel was missing from my kit. The garage not really wanting to rip the old dowel out with no replacement to hand didn't want to be to heavy handed with it. All I have got to do is get either Eibach or KW to send me the replacement dowels. Thanks again andy for the information.
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Ah that’s good glad you got sorted, I only know about both types as when I went to fit my kit a couple weeks ago one of my leaf springs had snapped so I needed a new one and ended up with one side with a nylon dowel and the other side with the nut type so I actually had a spare dowel I threw away other wise could have sent you it! Anyway hopefully yours will be all done next week

PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

Cheers mate, much appreciated. The garage did most of the bushes for the rear so hopefully it will be a quickish process to fit the kit when the bits turn up. :D