In Cab DAB/Double Din Entertainment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
ellis
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

In Cab DAB/Double Din Entertainment

Post by ellis »

Hi All,

The time has come to replace my shoddy standard Caddy stereo, There are so many out there available on the market, but id like to keep the design of the screen more OEM looking, even though the after market ones do look good.

I plan to do Alot of driving over the year so the Double din must have the following : Sat NAV or Android Mirroring, DAB, Bluetooth with A2DP Audio streaming.

I will have roughly £300 to spend, do you guys have any recommendations?
Avalanche
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: In Cab DAB/Double Din Entertainment

Post by Avalanche »

We have the VW RNS315 DAB & Bluetooth in both our caddy and golf really pleased with them.
2011 Silver 1.6tdi Maxi Panel Van
Southhamscaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Southhamscaddy »

VW RNS's are usually advertised on Facebook Marketplace and Fleabay around the £250 mark
R_Burbidge
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R_Burbidge »

Are they easy to self fit? Any known issues swapping out an old VW one for one of these or is it very much plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
echomadman
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by echomadman »

I fitted an Xtrons android head unit: http://xtrons.co.uk/android-8-0-octa-co ... skoda.html
It was pretty much a drop in replacement as they sent a loom adaptor and a canbus decoder so the radio can display the same info that the original VW unit did, more depending on what model the original stereo was.

Its a nice unit, has 2 camera inputs, I have a forward facing cam in the VW badge at the front, and the reverse cam is automatically activated though the canbus box so the wiring one up is a lot simpler (no faffing with relays on the reverse light). you can also switch to with cam while the car is running
GPS is good on it, i installed HereweGo maps which allows you to download offline maps so i can use it without needing to connect to my phones hotspot

The only caveat is the Bluetooth on them is limited, its fine for connecting a phone to stream audio/make calls but it wont connect to any Bluetooth OBD devices apart from the one they sell.
ChipTuningSolutions
Caddy Fan

Post by ChipTuningSolutions »

+1 for the Xtrons head unit. Mine seems to work well with a non Xtrons bluetooth OBD dongle.
Chip Tuning Solutions 01926 839135
ECU Remapping since 2003
http://www.chiptuningsolutions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/www.chiptuningsolutions.co.uk
Craig Cheatham
200BHP+

Post by Craig Cheatham »

I fitted an xtrons Android based unit almost 12 months ago, superb. Only a slight issue was the DAB reception from the glass mounted airiel. This is now cuered with a 12v amplified roof mounted airiel.
Now remapped to 145 BHP
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

I have the Xtrons head unit too.

I can't seem to get a good microphone so people can hear me without shouting. I bought another one and it is just as bad. I end up just plugging my own earphones in from my phone so people can hear me.

I also agree the DAB signal from that window mount aerial is dreadful for the majority of the time. I have not fixed this but as Craig says the roof ones are better.

Good thing I find is Spotify you can run without internet once downloaded over wifi at home.

And yes they are super easy to install and look like genuine VW radio units. I got some tweeters off ebay and installed them in the dash holes, I attached them to the rear speaker slots and adjusted the treble, bass and front and back balance to get a good sound.
2011 1.6 TDI
echomadman
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by echomadman »

ChipTuningSolutions wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm +1 for the Xtrons head unit. Mine seems to work well with a non Xtrons bluetooth OBD dongle.
I think it depends on the model, some of the newer ones have a different (crappier) bluetooth module that has the connection info for the xtrons dongle hardcoded in , there are some threads about it on the xda forums. Its also possible your generic one is the same chip as the xtrons one.
I'll probably flash a different rom on it at some point which should allow me to edit in other bluetooth devices.
EX_gas-Cop
100BHP+

Post by EX_gas-Cop »

I went for the rcd330, after strugglering to get my RNS510 to work with my rear brake light reverse camera.
I got the No name version with android auto. It's been really good so far!Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1.6 tdi 100bhp
Ex gas caddy maxi
Boonalon
200BHP+

Post by Boonalon »

+1 here for the NoName, love it to bits, great piece of equipment, looks OEM which is what I wanted

RyyJones
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by RyyJones »

Quick question.. with the RCD330 unit- how did you wire up the reverse camera?

EX_gas-Cop
100BHP+

Post by EX_gas-Cop »

On the quadlock the pins that are meant for the aux input on other head units, on the 330 it has 2 that is for the RVC. It came with an adaptor that goes from the quadlock to a standard yellow video in, then I just powered the camera from a source that was only on when the ignition was on. I did need a friend with VCDS just to turn on the camera installed option

1.6 tdi 100bhp
Ex gas caddy maxi
RyyJones
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by RyyJones »

Thank you! Where did you take the power from? As a few have said the rear wiper but I’d imagine you’d have to put a relay on that as it’s only getting power when the wiper is used? But also heard the reverse light is no good because of power reducers

EX_gas-Cop
100BHP+

Post by EX_gas-Cop »

No worries, I've haven't heard of using the wiper blade actually. I started coming off the reverse light but I was then reading that with the 330 the camera needs like standard 12v just on/off with the ignition.
I've got an ex British gas maxi and BG have fitted like another fuse box for just their lights and trackers or whatever else, but with that they fitted an extra 12v cig input that was for charging a torch so I followed the wires from the cig to that fuse box thing and spliced the cables

1.6 tdi 100bhp
Ex gas caddy maxi