Caddy clocks been cut

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
D.robinson
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Caddy clocks been cut

Post by D.robinson »

Just bought a 2007 2.0 sdi caddy and previous owner has cut the wires in the clocks for the speedo and punched the abs light out and was wondering about replacement clocks for it....if anyone has any advice it would be more than welcome
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy clocks been cut

Post by Doc »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
The instrument cluster in your caddy also contains your immobiliser system so changing the instrument cluster will also require transfer of the immobiliser data so that your caddy will start afterwards.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Caddy clocks been cut

Post by SnoWhite »

Hmm - That makes me wonder why anyone would intentionally open up the dash to disable the ABS warning lamp?

I suggest you take care at least until you get the brakes checked, just in case there really is an issue with the ABS and to obtain an MOT pass a previous owner chose to disable the ABS warning light rather than actually fix the problem.

As for the cut wires - does that mean the speedo does not work? Obviously if the car does not have a working speedo it is a definite fail on any MOT Test.

So what to do about the cut wires? If the speedo works then perhaps ignore them, otherwise I guess the first step may be to reconnect the cut wires and see what that results in. I wonder if the cut wires were an attempt to defeat some sort of speed limiter which some companies insist VW fit to their vehicles. Typically the proper solution is to get the limit coded out, but I guess if cutting those wires means the limiter does not get any speed information it will no longer restrict the top speed.

Do you have access to a VAGCOM scan? That should reveal any logged issues - even if a previous owner has done their best to hide them.