Buyer beware on this ex-BG van?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Stu_C123
Caddy2k Groupie

Buyer beware on this ex-BG van?

Post by Stu_C123 »

I'm on the lookout for a Maxi and this weekend came across an ex gas board '65 plate with only 20-odd thousand miles on it, priced just shy of £10k from a seemingly reputable dealer.

This seems like a fantastic price for that age and mileage and I'd love to jump on the train tomorrow to go and see it. However, as my Dad says, if something sounds too good to be true, it often is.

I wonder if I'm missing something - why would British Gas get shot of a 3 year old van with such a low mileage? Is it simply that the lease has run out? But then there are loads of other older and higher mileage straight- from-BG vans for sale too. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the ex-BG vans?

I called the vendor today. He confirmed the van was for sale but couldn't answer some of my questions about it. He was going to call me back but hasn't yet.
C12rdo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Buyer beware on this ex-BG van?

Post by C12rdo »

Post the ad seems odd, dealers normally are pretty switched on when it comes to these and if he’s reputable then might be worth chasing up mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. If you do a national search on auto trader, you’ll find quite a few 2015 ex gas vans on there. They do tend to get rid of them at 3-4 years old but I’ve seen some that have been kept by BG longer. My ex gasser was about 4 and a half years old when I bought it.
If the price seems too cheap, it may be that they haven’t added the VAT in it.
As for what to look for, well it should have full service history being a fleet vehicle. Also look for the usual that you’d look for buying a second hand vehicle.

Rescue me from the swans in me
C12rdo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by C12rdo »

My next question was ADD VAT ? Lol

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Caught me out when I saw the initial price of the one i bought

C12rdo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by C12rdo »

Only way round is look for caddy maxi life and wrap the rear windows no VAT and more money for mods

Stu_C123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stu_C123 »

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

In answer to some of the above, yes that price was including VAT. The website I found it on helpfully lists both VAT and no-VAT prices.

There do seem to be a good few on Autotrader so maybe it does all check out, although it still seems like a good deal.

I wondered about a Maxi Life but 1) I'd rather the double back door and 2) a lot of them seem to be altered for wheelchair use. Not sure how much of that equipment you can uninstall or how easy it is to do so.
C12rdo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by C12rdo »

U be surprised u will pick up a maxi life with no disable conversation just takes a bit of finding ..

I wouldnt go down the removing route sounds like a head ache..

Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

When I got my ex BG caddy it had only done 42k on a 2011 plate and I got mine 18 months ago.
Where I got mine from they had 2011 to 2015 but a lot of them had a lot more miles on them any thing from 60k to 100k it all depends of where they had been working out of ie in a city or out in the country
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
KYCADDY
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by KYCADDY »

I brought a high milage white highline from a van dealer 3 years old 129K 6,500 + VAT. High milage but cheap. The guy was a van trader and just bid on them from lease co's and put his usual mark up, he was selling connects for similar money, I don't think he knew how Caddy's hold theor value. He had some transporters listed too that were cheap, he struggeled to sell them so was steering clear of transporters in future. My guess was that he had no takers because the price was too low, people want good vans and assumed there was somethign wrong to be so cheap. Many companies just swap out vans based on lease or some times what they have agreed with engineers, new van every 3 years, or if somone leaves won't give new guy an old van so chop them early, common sense rearly comes in to it with big companies.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

How’d you get on Stu? Have you found a van yet?

Stu_C123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stu_C123 »

I'm still on the hunt. That guy never called back so I just left it.

I want to take a bit of time finding the right one and after doing a bit more reading am more conscious now about getting one with a 2.0l engine, AC, electric windows etc (see my other thread). Mainly with one eye on eventual resale. This rules the ex gas vans out.

Everyone on here has been really helpful and I'll be sure to post updates as and when.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Good plan mate. Getting the right van is important as it’ll become a big (and probably expensive) part of your life.
I’m sure you’ll find something to suit mate. Best of luck, don’t forget to check the for sale section on here too. I reckon a enthusiasts van would be a good buy!