How much does the spec matter?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Stu_C123
Caddy2k Groupie

How much does the spec matter?

Post by Stu_C123 »

Having had little luck with a decent-sounding ex-BG van, my search for a Maxi goes on. I'm buying to convert it into a camper and given the potential issues with injectors I've ruled out anything pre-2014. While the plan is to keep the van long-term, the possibility of moving abroad for work in the next couple of years is still there and I need to think about making it desirable for re-sale too.

Having seen lots of ex-BG etc I'm wondering if instead I should be focussing my search on a highline or trendline with a 2.0l engine. Not only for the extra features inside but also for the body coloured bumpers/mirrors, extra grunt and the potentially higher desirability if I had to sell.

This is quite a convoluted lead in to my main question - do you think anyone wanting to buy a camper, if I had to sell again in the next couple of years, would be bothered about engine size and the highline or trendline spec? Is this still more desirable in a camper conversion, given the slightly higher price I'd potentially ask for at re-sale? Would I be limiting my search too much by ruling startline vans out? The higher spec appeals to me personally but I don't know how much other people looking for a camper would bother about it.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: How much does the spec matter?

Post by anoneamus »

In general, you will have a much harder time selling a camper than a non-camper, as the majority of Caddy buyers are not using them as campers, and typically those that want them want to build one up to their own spec. There are also issues similar to buying a 2nd hand mattress involved as well.

I would plot out what kind of spec you want and then figure out whether it's more cost effective to get one that's at that spec from factory, or by retrofitting. I think just about anyone buying a Caddy is going to be bothered about engine size, in the same way as you are. Doing engine swaps is possible, but not simple or cheap (and is also going to hurt from a maintenance and resale point of view). You're better off getting the engine you want from the get go.

The other thing to consider is that retrofits don't generally increase the value of the vehicle, so another point in favour of spending a bit more on the spec you want. As far as the camper aspect goes, you can pretty much write off anything you spend there. If you do it sensibly you will be able to return the van to spec before selling it (if necessary). If you do a one-way camper conversion you might find that actually decreases the value on resale.

0.02c
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

I have never heard of injector problems on the 2.0 Caddy engines before 2014, maybe 1.6 engines. Anyway as spec goes the least spec required if I was looking for a second hand Caddy Maxi would be electric windows, electric adjustable mirrors, heated mirrors and a 2.0 engine (Must have). Any other mods like seats, heated seats, cruise control, better i.c.e, mfsw, colour matched bumpers, door handles, mirror covers or any other external or internal trims can be added at a later time without to much hassle. Sometimes its better to start with a blank canvas and put your own personal touches to it. Defo would be wanting the 2.0 engine though.
PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by PaulC61 »

From what I have read over the months on peoples builds I think the main item you would want on a Caddy is A/C. As long as the rest of the vehicle is ok I think most other stuff can be upgraded i.e. electric windows, dash, instrument cluster seats etc.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111