BLS Engine Code

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Halfers89
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

BLS Engine Code

Post by Halfers89 »

Hi all. First off all I'm totally new to the forum so hello :D .

I will get straight to it. I am currently looking at purchasing a caddy. It is a 56 plate mk 3 caddy. It has the 1.9tdi bls engine in it. The van has done 61k miles and has just had a cambelt and water pump change along with a clutch and flywheel. My question is how reliable are these engines. I have read a few horror stories of them throwing a Conrod through the block etc but are they really that bad? Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍🏼
Novakid
Twin Turbo poster

Re: BLS Engine Code

Post by Novakid »

Welcome.

Regarding the BlS I must have read every topic,web page on this engine as mine as put a bearing out ( not damaged the block).
You will not find much good story's but that's normal as you always get told the bad.
Only big issues I found are that parts are so expensive and sometimes hard to come by.
For example I phoned VW last week regarding a conrod. Guy said only 3 in the country and was about £200 for one rod .
Halfers89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Halfers89 »

:shock: jeeze. I have been scouring the net as well. There's alot of mixed opinions I have found. I had a look on auto trader and have seen one with 178k on the clock. I'm guessing only a small percentage go bang. I love the van but don't really fancy playing Russian roulette with it tbh. Thanks for the reply 👍🏼
Cultus
100BHP+

Post by Cultus »

Just bought a bls engined 2008 caddy, fingers crossed the rods stay put and don't try going interglacial on me! But I read the AZS engine fits with not too much work and I have one in a golf laying up if someone does go wrong! :lol:
bigfella2
Caddy Fan

Post by bigfella2 »

In my opinion BLS engines either do 250k without breaking sweat it they go early like mine 113k and that was in a really cared for pampered van. It's luck if the draw.
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

Fingers crossed here.. Just bought a 2008 maxi on 95k with a bls. Just need to get it safely past 113k then

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk