Aftermarket RCD330

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ripley55
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Aftermarket RCD330

Post by Ripley55 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Have a look back a couple of pages on this thread, I did mine in less than 10 mins flat

LS Spark
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by LS Spark » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Easy! Pop the panel surrounding the stereo off - 4 torx bit screws - pull forward and unclip quadlock - swap stereo and reverse.

10mins max

They work really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gloss Black Badges, ‘KillAllWipers’ Delete, Van-X tinted HL brake lens, Van-X glove box, Van-X smoked side repeaters

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:36 pm

So, I’m on nights, couldn’t sleep too well today, so got up and fitted the wireless rear camera.
What a work up, that turned out to be, took 2 hours in the end. Had to take off the door handle block, and two of the F****ing brass inserts came out, one bolt dropped into the barn door well, and I can’t fish it out, so anyway have had to lose one of the number plate lamps to fit the camera and cables, on the inside drilled in a little tech screw to get a new earth connection, and broken into the reverse lights to get a feed. Have mounted the transmitter with some 3M double sided, and tidied up with a few tywraps :D
I’m going to try and fit the receiver tomorrow, and plug it into the RCD330, will let you know the results
I’m hoping that I won’t need a clean 12v to drive that transmitter, and that the reverse light feed will be enough? I have got a delay relay as well, just in case.
So hoping tomorrow that it’s just a case of removal of an existing blue mini block in the quadlock and fitting the cable with the yellow video input in that space ? Adding a feed and an earth/ground to the receiver and away we go :D I’m sure it’s not going to be that easy, but hey ho

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm

I feel your pain pal. The camera is a faff

Use the delay relay is my advice and tap into the perm live on the cig lighter. Just run a wire from the back of the stereo connector down the hole to the cig lighter

Follow the diagram posted above, it works and is easy if you do

Gloss Black Badges, ‘KillAllWipers’ Delete, Van-X tinted HL brake lens, Van-X glove box, Van-X smoked side repeaters

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Acc power to the cig lighter live

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:16 am

I'm at work, and this is doing my swede in :D
My relay is 3 wire, It has a Blue for connection to the reverse light trigger, a Black wire for ground, and a Red which needs to be the ACC supply, but as I've been searching on the forum, I seem to have found that a wireless set up does not really work wirelessly :shock:
I don't have a wiper motor, and now I'm going to have to try and route a supply all the way from the Ciggy lighter/Fuse board or similar all the way to the back of the Van ? So can somebody try and describe the easiest route to the back door ( oooh err missus !!)
I wish I hadn't started this, as our Van is is fully shelved out with a raised floor etc, which was one of the main reasons for going 'wireless' in the first F*****ing place.
I'll explain later with a photo :D
Dave
UPDATE, it's now gone 03.20, and with the hel of Google, I've decided to try and smooth out the PWM supply, and have ordered this off good old Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
You can get them cheaper, but this was Prime, so will have it on Tuesday :D As I said, I dont think running a new supply all the way back is an option for me, so will give this a try.
I'm a HV Spark, 11kV up to 400kV, and I hate vehicle electrics with a passion, good old simple 3 and 4 wires for me :D !!! and I'm wondering if there's any automotive sparky/experts out there who can answer my next question ??
I have taken a single core 12v PWM supply from the reverse light into the barn door to power the Camera, and have taken a local ground from inside the barn door metalwork. When I connect this smoothing unit, can I use the Grounds connected together at this new location in the rear door for both the input and output ? will it have any potential effect ? as in the term electrical potential,? that may become detrimental :D this is like a poem now :D
Honestly chaps appreciate your thoughts on this
Dave

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Dave, you’re over complicating it I think.

Follow the pic I posted. It works

The cable that comes out of the stereo to av connection, if it has a little fly wire coming off it, connect that to the lighter live. It’s a permanent live and only inches away.

No need to run any other cable other that the av cable to the camera

Tap into the black/blue strip wire in the near side panel and earth at the main earth terminal. Big brown cable bolted to the body work

It took me ages to figure out but the image above help massively.
I’m a trainee electrician - auto electrics are the devil!!

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi LS Spark
I'm a step closer today I think.

I couldn't follow the drawing exactly as on there, as I'm going wireless, and also my delay relay is only 3 wire, not 4.

But anyways :D I read your reply on the other thread about rear cameras, and I had that same problem with the quadlock.

I had an existing blue block in there with 3 wires, that weren't doing anything as far as I can tell, and there's ony two pins to use in the back of the RCD330 anyway, so took that out, and put the blue block with the yellow AV plug that I got with the radio in there instead.

I've tapped into a switched live, and got a decent earth, so my wireless receiver is powered and has a red light to it, all good so far, and I have temporarily re-fitted the RCD330, but not refitted trim etc.

At the back In the barn door I've got the camera fixed nicely plugged into the Red and the Yellow sockets of the transmitter, and at the moment I have given the transmitter the PWM supply from the reverse lights, and a good earth. The transmitter has a good blue light on when in reverse so all good there, and I believe that I will still need to install the delay relay tomorrow.

Finally I've just mailed my mate Steve to see if I can run it over to him at lunchtime ish tomorrow to get it coded ? I take it you coded yours ?
was that it then ? no other problems ? I've selected reverse, but had nothing on the screen yet, so live in hope.

The only other small issue I have is that as I have removed one of the number plate lamps to hold the camera bracket, I now get a light on the dash with the lamp warning lit when i put on the Van lights ? I'm wodering if the Van can tell one has gone ? and can this be coded away ?? Any Ideas ? did you have the same ?

It's a killer being on 12 hour nights :mad: This Caddy is my son's, he's a Sparky as well :D lives and works in France, and this is going back there in August. My next Caddy is going to be already fitted with all this stuff OEM !!!, and fully blinged/remapped etc, as this is driving me bananas
Dave

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Nope, no coding needed. I thought that was the issue but it worked when I swapped the quad lock connector.

My relay only had 3 wires; red, blue and black

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Oh and I put the lamp in the new holder. So I have the 2 plate lights still.

I do have a light warning pop up occasionally but then turns off.

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Cheers @LS Spark
Hopefully I'm a bit closer then, I'll fit the relay tomorrow, and see what happens. :o

And to clarify, I shouldn't need to do anything else then ? the RCD330 should see the camera and light up the screen ? :D fingers crossed.

I'll also just drop the camera quickly and see if I can get the other number plate lamp back under it. :!:

Dave

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Ripley55 wrote:Cheers @LS Spark
Hopefully I'm a bit closer then, I'll fit the relay tomorrow, and see what happens. :o

And to clarify, I shouldn't need to do anything else then ? the RCD330 should see the camera and light up the screen ? :D fingers crossed.

I'll also just drop the camera quickly and see if I can get the other number plate lamp back under it. :!:

Dave
Good luck pal
Once you have it wired right, it should just fire up. What a feeling when it does.
The metal clips from the original lamp holder pull out and go in the one with the camera.

Hope you get there

Lance

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi Lance

Oh my days !! I'm destroyed, still a black screen, I bought a new cable which arrived today, and did away with the wireless transmitter and receiver, I just ran it from the head unit to the back of the Van, didn't dress it in or route it or anything, just wanted to prove whether the wireless bits were working/at fault. I then connected everything EXACTLY as per the diagram, tested for Volts etc, and all good, but no screen, Zero, Zilch, Zip, Nada, Nix, Nothing, Rien de tout :cry:

So now, it's either the Camera that is goosed, or the unit is going to need to be coded ?

Dave

LS Spark
Caddy Fan

Post by LS Spark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Maaaaate!

What parts have you got?

1) Quadlock in the correct point? Bottom left as you look at it

2) live from cig lighter to fly wire off the av cable?

3) time delay relay
Black > ground
Blue > reverse signal (black/blue wire)
Red > fly wire off other end of av cable

Did you get the stereo from eBay China/Belgium seller?
Where did you get camera?
Where did you get relay?

We will get there

Ripley55
Caddy Fan

Post by Ripley55 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes mate

1. Quadlock.....Check :D
2. Got a live supply 12v DC to the Yellow plug AV cable (red fly lead) at the head end....Check
3. Relay....... Check Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
3 wires, Red wire on relay is connected to the other end of the Yellow plug AV cable (red fly lead). Black wire on Relay is connected to ground, and Blue wire on relay is connected to the supply from the reverse light

NoName RCD330 Head Unit was bought on eBlag from the Belgium seller 'eodaworld', it was in perfect nick, and was installed very easily and works a treat

Camera was from eBlag as well
Audiotechdiect
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-Rea ... 17ec069795

This is the cable I bought yesterday, and tried today to prove if the wireless units were faulty

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dave