THINKING ABOUT AIR !!!!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
pugley
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

THINKING ABOUT AIR !!!!

Post by pugley »

Hello lads ,after going to early edition and seeing hulks caddy on air i keep thinking about it and think it would be perfect for me as i am a ceraic tiler and sometimes carry weight !! not good with 19 x 9.5 rears where if i had air i could adjust to suit but whos best to speak to and more importantly how much am i looking at ????????????
BIGNICK
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

THINKING ABOUT AIR !!!!

Post by BIGNICK »

Search ants@autostyl..
He's got a good write up and I asked him about costs, you be looking at the best part of 5k with labour cost at a questimate..
hulk
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Re: THINKING ABOUT AIR !!!!

Post by hulk »

Once you have air mate your never coilovers ever again :P
HULKSWAGON
brycieboy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

THINKING ABOUT AIR !!!!

Post by brycieboy »

I prob do 10k a year everyday use how good is air for everyday ?

Sent from
iPhone
Last edited by brycieboy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brycieboy
2.0 tdi 140....

Project Blue
kw v3 for sale
A9X SJ
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by A9X SJ »

There's a full setup up on Edition for £1100
Caddy MK3 Phase II - viewtopic.php?t=4092

Caddy MK2 Low Slow & Schmidts, Respray ETC - http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=35212
pugley
Twin Turbo poster

Post by pugley »

cheers lads its very very tempting but 5000 grand !!!! ouch !! thats more than i payed for van !! as for set on edition i did see them think there on here also but would have no idea on where to start would much prefer a drive in drive out job !!
minimad
200BHP+

Post by minimad »

John Pedan reckoned on £2500 ish to do it. He was doing it differently to autostyl.

Im considering doing it myself. Im going to price the air suspension kit tomorrow hopefully.
2004 Caddy TDI
d2a2v2e
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by d2a2v2e »

pugley wrote: 5000 grand !!!!
5 million is a rather a lot :lol:
super_ted
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by super_ted »

There is a kit in the for sale section on here. Just got to know how to fit it :lol:
minimad
200BHP+

Post by minimad »

A new kit isnt all that expensive. Mine should be getting sent out next week all being well :) Now to get collecting bits and bobs to make the back end up.
2004 Caddy TDI
vw darren
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by vw darren »

minimad wrote:A new kit isnt all that expensive. Mine should be getting sent out next week all being well :) Now to get collecting bits and bobs to make the back end up.
any chance of doing a list with pics and prices of whats involved?

is the rear end basically lowered with an axle flip and blocks then pumped up using bags on top of the leaf springs?
autostyl
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by autostyl »

Please don't be fooled into thinking that this is an easy job - trust me it isn't! There is a reason that it costs a lot to do, and that is down to using the correct materials and fixings, the engineering and the time in which to do the job properly. It is nothing like fitting a kit to a Golf.

On Hulks caddy, a well known company had already tried to bag the rear- and the results were horrifying, and to make matters worse it didn't even layout. So when Luke at Plush called me in to do the rear, I ended up junking the lot and started from scratch. There is a world of hurt to go through to get the vehicle to sit on its belly, and I suggest if you're not confident that you can overcome all the issues it will throw up - do not start!

To safely lay the car out, you will not be able to retain the leaf springs, so you need to be familiar with designing and custom fabricating full suspension systems, from geometry through to what tensility of fixings to use, and correct choice of materials. There is also serious mods to undertake to the axle itself! You cannot buy this kit anywhere off the shelf, and there is a reason for that, don't cut corners and be safe!

Having said that - done correctly, as Hulk said - once you've had air you wouldn't go back to coilys!!! As for mileage - i've done 15k miles in my maxi since baggin it, i haul all sorts in the back, from V8 motors, to a van full of snowboards etc. all the way to the alps, and i haven't had a problem.

If anyone wants any advice - i'm not the quiet sort, and am happy to help, good luck!

Ant.
http://www.autostyl.co.uk - Custom and Classic Automobile Builders
autostyl
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by autostyl »

Pugley - I'm not able to reply to your PM, must not have posted enough yet to qualify! Give me a call on 01872 561140, or email anthony@autostyl.co.uk with your details and i'll get in touch.

Cheers,

Ant
http://www.autostyl.co.uk - Custom and Classic Automobile Builders
Matt@Reflex
Hyper Poster

Post by Matt@Reflex »

autostyl wrote:Please don't be fooled into thinking that this is an easy job - trust me it isn't! There is a reason that it costs a lot to do, and that is down to using the correct materials and fixings, the engineering and the time in which to do the job properly. It is nothing like fitting a kit to a Golf.

On Hulks caddy, a well known company had already tried to bag the rear- and the results were horrifying, and to make matters worse it didn't even layout. So when Luke at Plush called me in to do the rear, I ended up junking the lot and started from scratch. There is a world of hurt to go through to get the vehicle to sit on its belly, and I suggest if you're not confident that you can overcome all the issues it will throw up - do not start!

To safely lay the car out, you will not be able to retain the leaf springs, so you need to be familiar with designing and custom fabricating full suspension systems, from geometry through to what tensility of fixings to use, and correct choice of materials. There is also serious mods to undertake to the axle itself! You cannot buy this kit anywhere off the shelf, and there is a reason for that, don't cut corners and be safe!

Having said that - done correctly, as Hulk said - once you've had air you wouldn't go back to coilys!!! As for mileage - i've done 15k miles in my maxi since baggin it, i haul all sorts in the back, from V8 motors, to a van full of snowboards etc. all the way to the alps, and i haven't had a problem.

If anyone wants any advice - i'm not the quiet sort, and am happy to help, good luck!

Ant.
Well said Ant.
I keep seeing these MK5 kits for sale as Caddy kits and rear is a completely different kettle of fish.
Do it one and do it right or stick to coilovers.
d3jpt
Caddy Fan

Post by d3jpt »

Im also thinking of air, and im trying to work out if its worth the extra cash.
ok kw's £800 ish air £1500 upwards.
The only reason im thinking about it is im getting too old for the harsh ride of coilovers (have been told the kw's arent too bad) and as i might be taking in on site would be handy to raise it to get over the rough ground. If any one can give any info or advice i would be very greatfull