Warranty?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
d3jpt
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Warranty?

Post by d3jpt »

Hi, Ive just managed to pick up a caddy dsg at rock bottom price from a dealer because it needs some bodywork, now he has offered me 3 months warenty which covers up to £1000 of work, parts and labour for £250. do i take it?
Never had a warranty before and just wonder is it actually worth the paper its writen on?
d2a2v2e
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Warranty?

Post by d2a2v2e »

now i maybe wrong but thought it is the law that all second hand cars from a dealer has a 3 month warranty on it so you should pay nothing
d3jpt
Caddy Fan

Post by d3jpt »

i believe it is law, but as ive nocked him down loads he has given me two prices one with and one without warranty
Firing-line
Hyper Poster

Post by Firing-line »

d2a2v2e wrote:now i maybe wrong but thought it is the law that all second hand cars from a dealer has a 3 month warranty on it so you should pay nothing
I think your right on that, its some sort of comsumer law, like electrical goods, by law most are covered by a blanket 2yr warranty and the shops still try charging you for "warranties" and make it hard for anyone that didn't "buy" their "warranty" when they have problems and require you them to jump through hoops to get something fixed or replaced, had a few issues like this and found the comsumer rights places helpfull when trying to resolve problems dealing with retailers..

Another load of bollox is the likes of halfrauds lifetime warranties on their "professional" tools, warranty excludes ratchets, ratchet spanners, etc etc I bet if you read the small print practialy every tool in the range is excluded in someway but by law I reckon they should be covered for a 12months at least..

I would expect a Garage selling a Van/car to stand over it for at least 3months even if the law didn't require it, unless it was "sold as seen" which covers them and a buyer beware approach should be taken and would be best to get a full check both mechanical and history before buying..
d2a2v2e
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by d2a2v2e »

I believe after a quick look it is called a statutory warranty.

As for halfords yeah they are rubbish with the ratchet thing but if you complain enough they cave in if all else fails phone the head office.
OzCaddy
Hyper Poster

Post by OzCaddy »

In Uk can dealers change the law ,out here in Oz the applicable warranty cannot be changed
My wife said I do not listen
At least I think thats what she said
tarqs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tarqs »

most of the time like was said in the 1st post warrantys are not worth papaer they are on ,they will generally do temp fixes until it runs out then charge for the correct work to be carried out. only thing you can be sure of is most of them don't have the dick turpin mask on :)