Retrofitting Electric Windows

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ollie370
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Retrofitting Electric Windows

Post by Ollie370 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't know if this has been covered before, I tried to find info on it but no one seemed to know the answers.

I wanted to fit electric windows to my 2K as mine only had the manual windows, but I didn't really want to get an aftermarket kit and wanted to stick to OEM parts. I managed to find a guy breaking a Touran so bought both electric window mechanisms, including door metal inserts, wiring looms and the door cards. The wiring plugged straight into the 28 pin Caddy door connector, but the windows would not operate! After a bit of investigation I found that there is no large power feed in the main loom to the door connectors. So I connected a temporary feed and it worked!

I ordered up a wire/connector from TPS that fits into the 28 pin plug on the door connector (£10 for pack of 5 2.5mm) and wired it up to a supply via an inline fuse holder. All is good! The passenger side window operated from the drivers side with no additional wiring as it runs over the CAN network! What a result.

Its quite an easy mod if you can find the parts second hand on the bay!
Taddy R Project - Engine running
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19895

kingdubber
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Retrofitting Electric Windows

Post by kingdubber » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:19 am

Excellent info. Thanks Mate.
Jetta V5
Caddy 1.8 Sport, now ADY with Perfect Power XMS4b and Estas 288 cam.

teerak2uk
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by teerak2uk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:27 am

I have fitted loads of aftermarket kits to Caddy`s and T5`s for my local VW Van centre and trust me they work fine aslong as you gor for the electric life kits

Ollie370
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Ollie370 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 pm

teerak2uk wrote:I have fitted loads of aftermarket kits to Caddy`s and T5`s for my local VW Van centre and trust me they work fine aslong as you gor for the electric life kits
Fair do's but can you then program them so they close on the key fob like the OEM ones?
Taddy R Project - Engine running
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19895

teerak2uk
Caddy Fan

Post by teerak2uk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 am

the only way it can be done is by fitting a module that takes a lock signal pulse so means every time you lock it then it would close any windows

ryanwylie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ryanwylie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Always wondered if it was a big job to fit electric windows to my caddy, appears not, thanks for sharing that!!

teerak2uk
Caddy Fan

Post by teerak2uk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Got a caddy to do in the next couple of weeks and will do some install info/pictures when i do

timoc
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by timoc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Great info, will have to keep eyes out for a Touran so!

ollyv10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ollyv10 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,
Just wondering what year the Touran was that you got the bits from and also if you know the part numbers?
I just purchased from ebay also a pair of motors, the looms and switches. Fitted the switched live through a fuse
and bingo the windows work. Only problem is that now my central locking does not work on the front doors and
the side and rear doors go nuts when you try locking and un locking. After looking into it a little more I realised that
I had purchased motors for a 09 caddy/golf and mine is a 05, took it to AMD Technik, they plugged it in and think that you
can not program the 09 modules to see that it only has 4 doors so its always looking to lock another door.
I have also got hold of some other motors from a 04/05 Touran but when I fit these I can get the locking to work but no
windows?? Just wondering if anyone could help me on this? Does anyone know if the door looms changed from 05 to 09
as thinking that maybe where my problem is,

Many thanks

Olly

miamipug
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by miamipug » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:55 pm

teerak2uk wrote:I have fitted loads of aftermarket kits to Caddy`s and T5`s for my local VW Van centre and trust me they work fine aslong as you gor for the electric life kits
hi what kits do you use on a mk3 caddy. Are they expensive
thanks

Caddyshack57
200BHP+

Post by Caddyshack57 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 am

Hi
Can anyone help me please as I am looking to fit my Caddy with electric windows , I have purchased the complete units from a Touran (same year as my Caddy) the plug and play looms the full works , but I am needing someone to fit them for me , as I feel it is too bigger job for me to take on , is there anyone here that would be prepared to do it with assistants an payment from me please , I am in the Staines Middlesex area but would be willing to travel

mk1-tron
Caddy Fan

Post by mk1-tron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:30 pm

miamipug wrote: hi what kits do you use on a mk3 caddy. Are they expensive
thanks
I would also like to know what retro fit kits are used? Are they the same as this kit from Transporters R us ? Link below

http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-caddy-2k-ele ... 8853-p.asp

Cheers :)
Tron

My caddy tdi viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7283

Caddyshack57
200BHP+

Post by Caddyshack57 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:11 am

Ollie370 wrote:I don't know if this has been covered before, I tried to find info on it but no one seemed to know the answers.

I wanted to fit electric windows to my 2K as mine only had the manual windows, but I didn't really want to get an aftermarket kit and wanted to stick to OEM parts. I managed to find a guy breaking a Touran so bought both electric window mechanisms, including door metal inserts, wiring looms and the door cards. The wiring plugged straight into the 28 pin Caddy door connector, but the windows would not operate! After a bit of investigation I found that there is no large power feed in the main loom to the door connectors. So I connected a temporary feed and it worked!

I ordered up a wire/connector from TPS that fits into the 28 pin plug on the door connector (£10 for pack of 5 2.5mm) and wired it up to a supply via an inline fuse holder. All is good! The passenger side window operated from the drivers side with no additional wiring as it runs over the CAN network! What a result.

Hi Chap ,,it's seems you know what your doing regarding this ,,,is there any chance you can give me a call on 07412 043515 as I need to pick your brains , I am trying to do the same as you did ,,,,bought everything I need but could do with your expertise please cheers
Ron

Low'n'slow2k
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Low'n'slow2k » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:53 am

Caddyshack57 wrote:

Hi Matey, I'm looking at doing this to my van in the next couple of days .. Mines a 2006 and iv found all the bits I need off a 2004(54) touran ... Will they be okay to use or did anything change between 54-06 I'm pretty sure they'll work I'm just wanting to be 100% before fully commuting to it. Any advice would be great.

Thanks Steve

bigmac
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by bigmac » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Ollie370 wrote:I don't know if this has been covered before, I tried to find info on it but no one seemed to know the answers.

Hi Ollie, I don't suppose you have the part number of the repair wires you got from TPS do you?
I too have got complete touran mechs, looms and door cards, and upon first look, it looks the same as you say, ie, I only have to supply a live to the plug inside of the pillar where the door loom plugs into.

any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Ben