Retrofitting Electric Windows

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Retrofitting Electric Windows

Post by Dugpal » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Did you ever figure out how to fit the touran plug in to the 2012 caddy? Mine is 2011 and got the same issue. Picked up some door cards and regulators today but the plugs are different. Not sure if there's any easy to way sort this or might just be better buying the retro fit kits.
2011 1.6 TDI, remapped, Merc seats, HID's foglights and autolights retrofit, lowered, 17s, cruise & trip computer switch retro fit, bike rack, xtron radio, retro fitted Touran electric windows, rail cover

Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 pm

I got my Caddy windows sorted.

So the issue is the new Caddy door plug is different to Touran ones. The way I solved it with a bit of help from someone else that had done it, was to not even bother changing the window regulators or wiring loom at all. This also speeds up the job quite a lot.
I took the window motor off the Touran regulator and removed the winder on the original one. The fitment is the same and after drilling the rivets off the original regulator, the electric window motor and door control bolts on no problem to the original regulator.

2nd part is running a live wire in from the car. I used a wire to run from the fuse board, got pins and attached them to the end of the live wire so it was done as well as I could, to get to the other window I just used a splice clip to run the other wire to the other door.
I just pushed this wire in to both plugs between the body and the door, using the pins I'd attached to the wires. You can buy kit's of these pins from Radioworld or off Ebay that fit the plugs. If you can't be bothered to make your own wire and attach the metal pins you can buy pre made wire kits off Ebay.
I did the same to run the live in to the door and attached this to the window control module.
I used a 15amp fuse in the board. Not sure what fuse it should have but had no issues with it so far.

This should get both windows working but the door card I got from the Touran was from a 5 door car, i.e. has 4 window switches and a 10pin plug.
I decided to buy a 2 switch trim and 2 window switch (again both off ebay) as the trim and switches were pretty worn anyway.

The problem now was the driver side plug is a 10pin plug and the new one is only 4 pins.
I found a pdf document for a Golf workshop manual and it showed the 10pin plug wire info and a 4pin for a passenger side. From this I worked out fairly easily the wires that needed to be swapped.
The hard bit was getting the pins out of the 10pin plug but I worked that out.

I then took the 10pin plug and put it in the vice and cut it to 4 pin in a line and left one part sticking out to fit the shape of the new window switch, done carefully with a file and saw you can get it to fit really snug. I presume you could find one at a scrap yard but the the only thing I could see online was buying the full wiring loom, which I didn't really want to do.

Now it was just a case of sliding the wires back in the back of the modified plug,

10pin plug
Pin 5 Red and White
Pin 6 Red and Yellow
Pin 9 Grey
Pin 10 Brown and White

These wires now need to go to the modified plug in order
Pin 1 Brown and White
Pin 2 Grey
Pin 3 Red and White
Pin 4 Red and Yellow (if the switches work the wrong window, swap pin 3 and 4)

Make sure none of the spare wires touch, cut them all back or cover them up just to make sure.

The other thing I did was since I had no electric mirrors I removed the door lock switch from my original and swapped it in to the new door card so it has no mirror stick sticking out. Just a few clips to get it out, wasn't a hard job.

Hopefully this all works for you. I found it quite hard to find any of this information on how to do this but got there eventually.
2011 1.6 TDI, remapped, Merc seats, HID's foglights and autolights retrofit, lowered, 17s, cruise & trip computer switch retro fit, bike rack, xtron radio, retro fitted Touran electric windows, rail cover

TOMDAVEY1994
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by TOMDAVEY1994 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi mate, I'm doing an electric window conversion at the minute. What pin in the plug did you put the extra power feed? I can't find anywhere that shows which one it should go in

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Dayoster
Caddy Fan

Post by Dayoster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi mate. I did the conversion last year and all works well except the emergency door lock button, it locks the rear barn doors but not the fronts. However the unlock button u can hear the locks trying to unlock

Any ideas?
Over worked and underpaid!

Aaz909
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Aaz909 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm

I am so doing that when I’ve done everything else! Thanks :D