Does anybody elses van...

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
samb0
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by samb0 »

Take ages to demist the wind screen. The blowers actually make it worse for about 5 minutes. That is with recurculate button pressed and air con on. It's quite a pain when your driving home from work in the dark!
mintcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Does anybody elses van...

Post by mintcaddy »

i find the same with my caddy, it takes ages for the heater to get warm even when sat idle before driving
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

There's a thread only a few days ago about being slow to heat, it's a side effect of a efficient engine at idle, it needs driven to heat up.

As for a van with AC not clearing the window, try it on fresh air rather than recirc. You may need your AC recharged and cabin air filter too. Also check water isn't pooling up under the passenger side of the windscreen, the drain holes tend to clog with leaves and then rain makes its way into the fan intake which is under there.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
BIGNICK
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by BIGNICK »

Could there be a bit of moisture in the cab?
Washed seats maybe, if you check under the seats I've heard of caddys having a leak, if that collects in the rear footwell or even soaks in to the underlay that may not be helping..

Also, diesels do take longer to warm up. I rarely go above 3000rpm. So less revs, less friction, less heat..
samb0
Caddy Fan

Post by samb0 »

Thanks for the replies. I can appreciate the fact that the engine needings time warm up as i'm a mechanic myself. But i've never had or driven a vehicle that takes so long to de-mist. It struggles to keep clear too on a wet day. (which are very pleantiful in Wales!) I cleaned out the leaves in the cavity under the screen not too long ago. But i do park under trees in work which is a pain in the a**e.
tyson675
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by tyson675 »

I'd say you've got moisture in your cab mate...Check all your door seals,screen seals etc...I had a mk2 golf exactly same,was the carpets in the rear being slightly damp
flatfour1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flatfour1 »

I changed the pollen filter on our Caddy the other day and it has made a good improvement to this problem. Although the old one was not blocked and was roughly a year old it was very black and smelt 'damp' and regardless of the heater selection dials all air that enters the cabin passes through this filter.
Stewartmak7
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Stewartmak7 »

I got my caddy brand new in may and its the worst van ive had for misting up , thought there was a real prblem with it damp etc but just seems to be a real problem with the caddy vans! Friend of mine who has had a couple of caddies uses a small tupperware dish with cat litter in and places on the dash at night and says this really does help! ive also insulated the van and notice a big difference !
flatfour1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flatfour1 »

Try putting one of these on top of the dash at night ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-CARAVAN-D ... 231753683a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OzCaddy
Hyper Poster

Post by OzCaddy »

Air con on fresh should clear it very quickly , check the air does not need regassing as per Docs suggestion
My wife said I do not listen
At least I think thats what she said
ToiletTFSI
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by ToiletTFSI »

Maybe one other thing is that the blowers aren't that effective. Mine were almost none existent; very poor. All changed by replacing the pollen filter.
samb0
Caddy Fan

Post by samb0 »

Thanks for the replies. I changed the pollen filter today, funnily enough the autoparts delivery driver was driving a Caddy and I mentioned the issue to him and he notices it too. His van dosen't have air con though. I have noticed a difference after changing the filter, Also seems better with recirculate off. I mainly drive short trips which probably dosen't help.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If you can, set the fan to the floor vents, open the windows a tiny bit and heat the hell out of the van, that'll exhaust a good bit of moist air out of the van.
Doesn't work to well when your moving at speed as the draught is usually in through the window if you don't have deflectors.

I work on climate controls all day, this is the best time of year to be sucking air into your van if you have dampness. ;)
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
JonDogg
200BHP+

Post by JonDogg »

samb0 wrote:Take ages to demist the wind screen. The blowers actually make it worse for about 5 minutes. That is with recurculate button pressed and air con on. It's quite a pain when your driving home from work in the dark!
Get a spongebob from halfords, gets rid of it in seconds!
Silver TDI, 160Bhp is how i roll!
Denners
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Denners »

I see you all have the same problem as me too. I've owned nearly every small van poss and the caddy is the slowest by far to heat up and clear windscreen!
Just waiting for it to stop raining and I'm gonna change the pollen filter that arrived this morning, see if it has much effect.