inner tyre burn

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
deanhook1978
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

inner tyre burn

Post by deanhook1978 »

On the lowest setting on v.maxx. The tyres r wearing extreamly fast on the inner tread (camber). I No it was mentioned sumwer b4 but do is there anythink that can be done to stop this?
Wld the laser allignment do anythink?
turbo si
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Re: inner tyre burn

Post by turbo si »

i cant see how vw coilovers can have adjustable camber but you will be able to get some adjustable top mounts from a mk5 golf which will give you adjustable camber allowing to get it adjusted out :)
BIGNICK
Hyper Poster

inner tyre burn

Post by BIGNICK »

I've got the same problems, I was told that I'd need either adjustable top mounts, or washers on the stub hub at the rear..

I just live with it, cambers for cool kids!

ToiletTFSI
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by ToiletTFSI »

There are very small adjustments that can be made to reduce the camber with the aid of adjustable top mounts and bolts etc. When lowering you always need to realign the wheels. It won't reduce inner tyre wear but it will prolong the tyre a little more.
deanhook1978
Twin Turbo poster

Post by deanhook1978 »

BIGNICK wrote:I've got the same problems, I was told that I'd need either adjustable top mounts, or washers on the stub hub at the rear..

yo bignick. Thing is im doin about 500 mile a week :shock:
the fronts r fine cept the inners r nearly bold. How often u change urs? Only had these tyres bout 3 months.
Thinking of swaping them from left-right n visa versa so the other corners can get bolded :lol:
BIGNICK
Hyper Poster

inner tyre burn

Post by BIGNICK »

Yeah, catch it before it gets this bad! :lol:
Matt@Reflex
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Matt@Reflex »

Camber won't wear the tyre a lot quicker. It just appears to because the outer section of the tyre doesn't wear at all.
Lowering the van will chgange the 'toe in' massively (due to the new steering arm angle) so this needs correcting when the coilovers are fitted.
andy_sheff
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by andy_sheff »

Matt@Reflex wrote:Camber won't wear the tyre a lot quicker. It just appears to because the outer section of the tyre doesn't wear at all.
Lowering the van will chgange the 'toe in' massively (due to the new steering arm angle) so this needs correcting when the coilovers are fitted.
you mean fix the toe in by having the tracking done?
I had mine done 3 times last week to get it spot on, it drives straight now.
I dont think your right there matt about the camber not wearing the tyres quicker. My tyres on the front are pretty nailed on the inside and the rest of the tread is ok, if the camber was correct i dont thnk the whole tyre would be nailed i think the inside would just be less bald.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

inner tyre burn

Post by Doc »

Excess camber alone won't cause a huge amount of wear, it's when camber and toe problems come together, such as seen when lowering the front of any car with wishbone and strut type suspension, that the wear becomes overly aggressive.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
MoNkEyBoY
Caddy Fan

Post by MoNkEyBoY »

BIGNICK wrote:I've got the same problems, I was told that I'd need either adjustable top mounts, or washers on the stub hub at the rear..

That picture makes me pi$$ myself everytime i see it !
turbo si
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by turbo si »

Alot of peoe tend to forget aswell that stretched tires wear faster or more uneven due to the lean of the sidewalls giving a low point in the centre of the tread however this normally causes both edges to wear not just the inside :)
stu0468
100BHP+

Post by stu0468 »

I've 8.5j wide wheels and 225/35/19 tyres so no stretch.

My tracking is correct but my camber is out.

My front tyre blew last week with the other one not far behind.... The tyres looked as new until i removed the wheel and saw the inside edge that had gone!!

How can I alter the camber? Is there any adjustable top mount available???
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

What adjustments have you made to get excessive camber? Coilovers alone won't cause camber to move out of tolerance. Like I said above, incorrect toe due to the steering control arms pulling both wheels out.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
stu0468
100BHP+

Post by stu0468 »

I've only fitted coil overs and straightened the rear springs, fitted adjusting plates on the rear etc.
stu0468
100BHP+

Post by stu0468 »

also my toe is apparently correct (so say deemon tweaks)