The new addition to the family

Pics from around the web
caddymaxlife
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

The new addition to the family

Post by caddymaxlife »

Picked up this 2011 1.6 tdi DSG this week with 48,000 miles on the clock. Flew up from London to Inverness to get it - this was the first time I've ever bought a car that far away so was slightly nervous but it came with a 12 month warranty from a commercial VW dealer so I figured - why not. They don't come up that often and down south I was looking at a 100,000 miler plus for the same money.

The dealer had it sparkling on my arrival - not a scratch on it anywhere. Its got a few mods from the previous owner - wind deflectors on the front windows, rear bumper cover, dark film on the rear most windows, bluetooth and radio upgrade and the smell of damp dog from the previous owner. Light bulb moment re. the dark film and bumper cover!! Straight to the garage to fill up and stock up on air fresheners for the 650 mile trip back to home, including a little detour around the lakes.

For a van based derivative, got to say that its really comfortable. The seats are good, the DSG took everything the highlands and Lakes could throw at it in its stride. I'd read reports that this particular version was gutless but my 2013 manual Renault Scenic literally re-defines the boundaries of 'gutless' so the Dub actually managed to put a bit of smile on my face at times!!

Got home 650 miles later on one tank of diesel, cruising at reasonably high motorway speeds or utilising the gearbox extensively through the Lakes - very happy and surprised about the economy figures.

Got the usual complaint about the whistling wing mirror so off to get some felt shortly. If I had one complaint it would be that the rear suspension is quite harsh and crashy when its not loaded up. I appreciate the need for a stiff suspension given its 7 seat capacity and its sizeable boot but if anyone's got any tyre advice, it would be most welcome. The car came with Goodyears on the front and Bridgestone Turanza's on the back.

All in all though, very happy with the new addition. Look forward to jumping in it every morning!!

D17KDB
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: The new addition to the family

Post by D17KDB »

Looks like you got yourself a really nice caddy there bud.

Glad you liked Scotland as well. But we do not have a lot of lakes. But we do have a lot of lochs :lol:
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Hi nice life... I also have a maxi life and you are correct they are firm in the back.. I found they don't even drop when I have 7 up.. I can't advice on tyres as mine is on 19's but I find them ok on most roads it's only if I hit a pot hole that it's an issue.. I believe the Bridgestone 's are factory fitted
nellyt5
Caddy Fan

Post by nellyt5 »

very nice ,i love the colour
your story is almost identical to when i bought mine
2011 maxi life 1.6 tdi bluemotion, mfsw,parrot,cruise,hill assist,rear sensors, etc raven blue,64k
i didnt quite travel as far as you tho nottingham to aberdeen for mine
i love it ,ive had a couple of 2k caddys before so i knew what to expect,and i wasnt disappointed apart from the primitive rear suspension set up ,it really is a hard crashy ride, however,we just got back from a week in ilfracombe ,4 adults,1 9yo ,1 staffy,and a trailer loaded up to the max,and it was like driving a different vehicle altogether,albeit a tad under powered uphill
but as you say,and i agree that there must be something that can be done to improve the rear suspension when empty!
at the mo ive decreased the rear tyre pressures which does make a difference
v-dubs all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reggie
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Reggie »

D17KDB wrote:Looks like you got yourself a really nice caddy there bud.

Glad you liked Scotland as well. But we do not have a lot of lakes. But we do have a lot of lochs :lol:
The Lakes = The Lake District. When I drive up to my mate near Inverness, driving through Cumbria makes a nice place to stop for half hour to stretch the legs.
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Do you not both find the A1 till Newcastle,then Jedburgh to Edinburgh,then onwards north shorter/faster?
dubvan
Hyper Poster

Post by dubvan »

Lovely life, nice colour, bud. Understand what you're saying regarding rear ride, but it is just a van with seats in on leaf springs. It doesn't bother me too much and mine is lowered. Sorry can't help you with tyres as I'm on 19's too.

Jonesy :mrgreen: