TDF Caddy

Show off your caddy
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

TDF Caddy

Post by Icarus »

Hi Chaps,

Some pics/info on our Caddy TDI. It's done 44K from new etc. etc. and it's not been on LongLife intervals :)

None standard bits are:
- 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s
- Vmax Rear lowering kit (axle relocation brackets, dampers etc. etc.)
- KW Variant 1 Mk5 Golf GTI Front Coilovers
- TDF/Revo Remap

On the dyno:

And the results of some laptop action:

Dyno vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7nzWP1NNo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a lot else planned for it aside from an MFD2 for Sat Nav and eventualy getting some stickers on it.

Cheers
Matt
DADDY
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: TDF Caddy

Post by DADDY »

Welcome along Icarus dude. ;)

Link to Caddy 2K Project Workhorse ***Warning Pics and Slideshows Heavy***
s31teg
Twin Turbo poster

Post by s31teg »

welcome,

seem to be a bit down on power there pal but still not bad
hedge
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by hedge »

Welcome
you wouldn't happen to have the part number of the front coilovers? :D
105 tdi with GTB2260 power around 280bhp/405lbft
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

s31teg wrote:welcome,

seem to be a bit down on power there pal but still not bad
Haha by choice! Turbo speed is still within OEM limits at 4500RPM - the joys of having turbo speed sensors on both our dynso ;) We do a lot of 24hr endurance stuff so that mentality of absolute reliability carries over to pretty much everything we do. It'd happily do 155bhp but at that you'd be quite a few thousand rpm over the OEM max turbo speed rating and as such turbo life would be much reduced over standard, whether that would be a reduction of thousands or tens of thousands of KM I don't know but as we know at 145bhp it's within limits I'm happier to stick with that. Basicaly the excuse "The Van Broke Down" is not acceptable to our customers as for the most part (electronics wise anyway) we're responsible for their race cars not stopping on circuit ;)

Worth noting we correct to SAE as well which generaly comes up 4 - 5bhp down on what STP/STD/DIN/ATMC2 would correct to.

Cheers
Matt
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

hedge wrote:Welcome
you wouldn't happen to have the part number of the front coilovers? :D
I'll dig them out for you when I'm in tomorrow.
lovelydubly
Hyper Poster

Post by lovelydubly »

Lovely work mate!

I admire that you aren't figure chasers when it comes to remaps which i think a lot of people want these days. BHP is pub talk!

How much would you charge for a similar mapping service on a caddy 1.9 Tdi DSG, and would the DSG still be within it's tollerances do you think?
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for the positive comments! Luckily there has been quite a few SAE papers published regarding production DSG gearboxes so it's relatively easy to get solid information regarding limits, not just transient loadings but also sustained loading at speed (SeatSport development info on the SuperCopas helps here as well). I'll PM you some details of what we can do, which includes DSG Controller/Mechatronics calibrations.

Cheers
Matt
Bigvw
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Bigvw »

Welcome along m8, van looks real nice 8)

cheers Paul
Dubtech Custom Vans. Suppliers for - KW,ST,AP Suspension systems, Bilstein suspension, V-Maxx , Official RECARO dealer, GAZ Shocks, Cobra Seats, 07967 106 906 bigvw@hotmail.co.uk https://www.facebook.com/Dubtechcustomvans
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

Bigvw wrote:Welcome along m8, van looks real nice 8)

cheers Paul
Thanks chap - I'm happy with how it looks, certainly better than our old Connect LOL
Bigvw
Hyper Poster

Post by Bigvw »

Yep, my mates a service manager for a refridgeration company and is ordering 10 new Caddy's after looking at mine and having looked at the Ford Connect said there was no comparison
cheers Paul
Dubtech Custom Vans. Suppliers for - KW,ST,AP Suspension systems, Bilstein suspension, V-Maxx , Official RECARO dealer, GAZ Shocks, Cobra Seats, 07967 106 906 bigvw@hotmail.co.uk https://www.facebook.com/Dubtechcustomvans
s31teg
Twin Turbo poster

Post by s31teg »

Icarus wrote: Haha by choice! Turbo speed is still within OEM limits at 4500RPM - the joys of having turbo speed sensors on both our dynso ;) We do a lot of 24hr endurance stuff so that mentality of absolute reliability carries over to pretty much everything we do. It'd happily do 155bhp but at that you'd be quite a few thousand rpm over the OEM max turbo speed rating and as such turbo life would be much reduced over standard, whether that would be a reduction of thousands or tens of thousands of KM I don't know but as we know at 145bhp it's within limits I'm happier to stick with that. Basicaly the excuse "The Van Broke Down" is not acceptable to our customers as for the most part (electronics wise anyway) we're responsible for their race cars not stopping on circuit ;)

Worth noting we correct to SAE as well which generaly comes up 4 - 5bhp down on what STP/STD/DIN/ATMC2 would correct to.

Cheers
Matt
You have a bolt on turbo speed sensor? Really? There is no such item im aware of, for this to work you would need a proxy then something for it to read (e.g how your abs works)

also get some dyno dynamics rollers, cant go wrong :P
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

s31teg wrote:
You have a bolt on turbo speed sensor? Really? There is no such item im aware of, for this to work you would need a proxy then something for it to read (e.g how your abs works)

also get some dyno dynamics rollers, cant go wrong :P
You need to be more aware then chap ;) We use AVL TS350's which are an optical (laser) sensor that work on the principal of laser light bounced back from a reflective surface, in the case of turbos a spot of highly reflective paint on the compressor wheel securing nut or inner edge of a blade. They are extremely accurate even at 200,000RPM and take less than ten mins to setup. ABS works via inductive or hall effect sensors which require a ferrous material passing the sensor head to generate a signal which obviously won't work for turbo speed measurement unless you have an iron compressor wheel LOL most current conventional motorsport turbo speed measurment systems use a probe which outputs an electromagnetic field, the 'interuptions' to this field (or rather the effort required to maintain it) are what is measured to determine sensor speed. Several years ago there were compressor retaining nuts with rare earth magnets embedded in them to provide the positional reference but these were expensive and not particularily accurate!

We had a DD 450DS dyno a while back and whilst they're fine for tuner market in that it's very easy to produce a power measurment (and as long as the weather station is used very hard to falsify it bar inlet temp probe) they are quite limiting for what we do, you can't do a circuit or drive simulation on them, you can't write your own test profiles, transient tests etc., you don't have access to the PIDs governing load control or similar so odd engine configurations such as 4 cyl 'big bang' setups can catch them out and they aren't particularily good as an in ground solution as they have no lift bar which makes strapping a car with an in ground install difficult. We run a lot of sports prototypes and formula cars so just letting these drop into the roll bed doesn't work well for obvious reasons and likewise driving them up ramps is a pain in the arse as with 65mm of ground clearance they bottom on the ramps. Our current chassis dyno setup supports ride heights on prototypes down to 55mm!!

Cheers
Matt
Icarus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Icarus »

P.S. I should say nothing beats the level of amusement provided by failing to properly secure the sensor within the inlet tract/at the compressor entry and putting an 800 quid sensor head through a turbo charger... needless to say neither tend to survive LOL
dubvan
Hyper Poster

Post by dubvan »

All this techno shit sounds good to me - as far as I am concerned, van looks good, makes reliable power - nuff said.

Jonesy :mrgreen: