biking/climbing/camping caddy

Show off your caddy
jjules
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by jjules »

Great conversion, congratulations! Thanks so much for all the photos and helpful info.
Please could I have a copy of your bed-frame plan if poss?
mostlysimon
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by mostlysimon »

jjules wrote:Great conversion, congratulations! Thanks so much for all the photos and helpful info.
Please could I have a copy of your bed-frame plan if poss?
Thanks. Yes of course, but I've just tried to pm you the link and I can't because you don't have access yet. If you can somehow get an email address to me (I wouldn't post it in full on here) then I'll get it sent to you.
riddler
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by riddler »

Brilliant conversion, very simple but works! Looking at purchasing my first Caddy shortly, and plan on turning it into a camper / all rounder so am following :)
jjules
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jjules »

Newbie apologies for the extra step. Second part at y**** dot com
In front of that julesseareef. Many thanks!
jjules
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jjules »

Download worked fine, thank you!
Great detail, very helpful for getting quotes from local fabricators.
Captain willard
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Captain willard »

What a fantastic job you have done. I have just got a new Caddy maxi and am insulating/soundproofing at moment. Carpet on its way to me to line the inside. Your bed looks great...can you pleas send me the plans as well.
thanks
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Captain willard wrote:What a fantastic job you have done. I have just got a new Caddy maxi and am insulating/soundproofing at moment. Carpet on its way to me to line the inside. Your bed looks great...can you pleas send me the plans as well.
thanks
Sure, you'll have to get your email to me though (see previous posts above).

Simon.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Inspired by a photo on here (I think), I've made a little side unit/table for the van. Quite happy with how it turned out, especially the little bargain LED strip light downlighting. Next week I'm going to modify the bed into a pull out top with slats and get it lowered a bit for more head room so I'll post some pics of the new setup. Nearly time for the diesel heater to be fired up!

horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Nice work on the sideboard.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fromvolvot5
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by fromvolvot5 »

Great work on the van build, love the cup holder and side construction. How is it for space with two folk sleeping in there?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

horace01 wrote:Nice work on the sideboard.
Cheers!
fromvolvot5 wrote:Great work on the van build, love the cup holder and side construction. How is it for space with two folk sleeping in there?
It's totally fine, I think the width is about 130cm with the cushions down so not too far off standard double bed width. I have to slide the front seat forward to give myself extra leg room though, I'm about 5'11".
fromvolvot5
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by fromvolvot5 »

Nice one! Just need to tempt the missus into camping in a van now, may not go so well haha.
Mardyboy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Mardyboy »

Hi, superb build, I'm lookin at getting a leisure battery/diesel heater also. Why did you have to put the heater passenger side, right at the start of my build so I'd like to get it the right way round .Who fitted the heater, and how did you get on with the silencer ? Any info much appreciated pal, like I say crackin build.
Tim
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Mardyboy wrote:Hi, superb build, I'm lookin at getting a leisure battery/diesel heater also. Why did you have to put the heater passenger side, right at the start of my build so I'd like to get it the right way round .Who fitted the heater, and how did you get on with the silencer ? Any info much appreciated pal, like I say crackin build.
Tim
Hi Tim, not a problem!

There's no reason why you couldn't put the heater on the driver side in theory. However the van diesel tank is on the passenger side, so the pipe run to tap into it from the heater is much more straight forward.

I got an auto electrics company local to me in Thornaby to fit it. In retrospect I would been okay to do it myself, but at the time I didn't have the balls to drop and drill into the diesel tank! Think including the heater it was just over £1k.

Silencers definitely make a huge difference, I don't know how anyone uses them without. That said, even with them fitted I'm very conscious of starting it up where is could disturb other people, it still sounds like a bit like a jet engine when it starts up!

If you need any other info, just fire away. Good luck with the build.
Mardyboy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Mardyboy »

Thanks for the reply pal, I'm usually in a lonely layby on the A9,dam it gets cold.. :lol:
Tim.
Last edited by Mardyboy on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.