biking/climbing/camping caddy

Show off your caddy
DeefLeppard
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by DeefLeppard »

Nice one mate. Thanks :D
spreyjay
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by spreyjay »

What a great thread, so much inspiration! Can I ask you mention in a couple of places that due to your height the bed had to be modded a bit... how tall are you? I'm 6ft dead, and just trying to figur out how much room I will have etc.
mostlysimon
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: RE: Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by mostlysimon »

spreyjay wrote:What a great thread, so much inspiration! Can I ask you mention in a couple of places that due to your height the bed had to be modded a bit... how tall are you? I'm 6ft dead, and just trying to figur out how much room I will have etc.
I'm about 5'11". Without any cushions on the seat the headroom was fine with the old height, but having just reduced the legs to the minimum to clear the wheel arch, it's much better now. Thanks.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Some pics of the newly modified pull out bed frame. Much more convenient than the fold out top. Haven't finished fixing the slats but you get the idea...

Yamboy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Yamboy »

The bed looks great. Any idea what it weighs? I've built one from wood before but it was quite heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amsden88
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by amsden88 »

Just bought myself a caddy, very bare, needs lots of TLC, BUT.......

Everything you have done in your build is the goal for mine, functional and practical and looking amazing, especially the bed and your electrics. Excellent work man!!
Benwilson277
Caddy Fan

Post by Benwilson277 »

mostlysimon wrote:

Really really impressed with the cabinet had a similar idea for mine, do you make it from scratch or adapted something existing?

how to you attach to the van? self tappers just into the metal?

very impressed and like the idea of the strip light

thanks a lot Ben
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Thanks very much Ben,

I saw something similar in a thread on here, but just freestyled with whatever wood they had at the local timber merchants. I'm by no means that handy so patience was key! I used a couple of rivnuts through the frame to attach it to the wall, one on the rear and one where the seat belt would attach. I'd never heard of rivnuts but they're great, much better for quickly removing the frame without worrying about self tappers. There's some good youtube vids on how to fit them without a 'proper' tool. If you need any more info or pics just let me know, good luck with yours!
BezzaB
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BezzaB »

brilliat thread mate the vans looking ace :D
gme
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by gme »

love this build. very practical and clean. I had the same conundrum as you though when having the bike in the back and the bed sleeping 2.. it might be really tight and with having a mountain bike that doesn't have a traditional top tube i couldn't use the wall mount but its an excellent idea. I was anticipating just strapping my bike to the side wall. Heater must make it a bit more comfortable.
Dia-Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dia-Caddy »

Really love your caddy conversion!
It's working very inspiring to read this thread!

I'll start by ordering you're bike holder idea.
DS83
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by DS83 »

Caddy is looking good mate, loving the training wall in the garage more though. What sort of climbing you do?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Thanks all for the nice words!
DS83 wrote:Caddy is looking good mate, loving the training wall in the garage more though. What sort of climbing you do?
Into bouldering mostly, too soft for ropes ;)
Dia-Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dia-Caddy »

mostlysimon wrote:I almost forgot my favourite bit of DIY, my homemade removable blackout screens. 1x cheap blackout blind from Dunelm Mill, 20x neodymium magnets (mega strong) from eBay and some left over carpet to finish them off. The tricky bit was making the templates from some cardboard and a LOT of patience!

Now that looks like an excellent idea, making use of some magnets to keep those screens in place!

But now I'm wondering, did you use glue to attach the magnetes to the board?
And what kind of strength did you use? Or just made sure you had enough of magnetes on there?

I'm thinking of using these screw-in-magnetes; https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/screw-on-magnets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
instead of glue-ing some disc magnetes to some plywood.
I'll be covering it all up with carpet, so looks don't really matter.

Still wondering what size/strenght to use.
Smaller magnetes would require more magnetes obviously, but what would be optimal... ?

Edit:
No need to use glue;
found these!: https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/adhesiv ... -neodymium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Dia-Caddy wrote:But now I'm wondering, did you use glue to attach the magnetes to the board?
And what kind of strength did you use? Or just made sure you had enough of magnetes on there?
I just bought a bunch of small magnets off ebay, no idea what size but don't think it's that important to be honest. My screens aren't made from ply though, they're just carpeted bits of black out blinds so they're really light and don't take much to keep them in place! I used superglue to fix the magnets to the screens, the only problem I've had is losing a few of them because their magnetic strength is more than the adhesive strength, so a few ripped off when I was taking them down from the window.