scooby8272
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by scooby8272 »

Great build that Fella
ffarrell
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by ffarrell »

Love your caddy conversion- thank you for the inspiration!

I copied you're bike holder idea, it's working well. Though now I am currently converting my Caddy to take on surf adventures and would love to know the dimensions of your bed? (Any info on the bed of that matter)

All the best,

Fi
Mardyboy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mardyboy »

I'm taking it your heater is fitted inside the cab. Spoke to my garage today (had timing belt etc done) and they said they'd be happy to fit one, but I'm thinking it would be down to me to state were to put it . Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tim
mostlysimon
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by mostlysimon »

ffarrell wrote:Love your caddy conversion- thank you for the inspiration!

I copied you're bike holder idea, it's working well. Though now I am currently converting my Caddy to take on surf adventures and would love to know the dimensions of your bed? (Any info on the bed of that matter)

All the best,

Fi
No problem, I'll pm the link over to the plans. Although, I'm just in the process of chopping a little bit of leg height off to give more head room which is basically determined by the wheel arch height.

edit: I can't pm the link to you because you can't receive them yet
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Mardyboy wrote:I'm taking it your heater is fitted inside the cab. Spoke to my garage today (had timing belt etc done) and they said they'd be happy to fit one, but I'm thinking it would be down to me to state were to put it . Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tim
Yeah it's mounted in the passenger footwell. I'm away at the moment but I'll take some photos when I'm back at the weekend for you.
Mardyboy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mardyboy »

mostlysimon wrote:Yeah it's mounted in the passenger footwell. I'm away at the moment but I'll take some photos when I'm back at the weekend for you.
Thank you, have a great time whatever you're doin.
Tim
drcw84
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by drcw84 »

Really nice job, Hopefully I can do some thing similar.....cant decide whether to take my bulkhead out like you have or not (Have Maxi panel van so would have about 2.2m in back for bed)

Does it make a lot of difference removing bulkead - Warmth wise? & with condensation on windows?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

drcw84 wrote:Really nice job, Hopefully I can do some thing similar.....cant decide whether to take my bulkhead out like you have or not (Have Maxi panel van so would have about 2.2m in back for bed)

Does it make a lot of difference removing bulkead - Warmth wise? & with condensation on windows?
I can't really comment as I didn't sleep in the van before I took the bulkhead out because I wouldn't have fit! We store a lot of our stuff on the front seats and overhead when we're staying in it anyway so would have needed the bulkhead out regardless, but that's less of an issue in a maxi I guess.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Re: RE: Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by mostlysimon »

Mardyboy wrote: Thank you, have a great time whatever you're doin.
Tim
Here you go, excuse the mess.

And the control panel...

drcw84
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by drcw84 »

That's nice attention to detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mardyboy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mardyboy »

Thanks for the photo's, looks like it stops the seat going back a tiny piece, can see the diamond bashin the crap out of it there. :lol: I'll have to give it some thought.
Tim
ffarrell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ffarrell »

mostlysimon wrote:No problem, I'll pm the link over to the plans. Although, I'm just in the process of chopping a little bit of leg height off to give more head room which is basically determined by the wheel arch height.

edit: I can't pm the link to you because you can't receive them yet

Thanks Simon. I have added you to my friends list (hope this works for PM) and will contact board admin to allow me to receive posts.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

ffarrell wrote:Thanks Simon. I have added you to my friends list (hope this works for PM) and will contact board admin to allow me to receive posts.
Here are the plans that I gave the company to make up the bed frame, it cost about £100 if I remember rightly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/29tq84bw11xp7 ... n.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are pretty over the top in terms of detail, but I just wanted it be right first time around.

When I'd sorted out the anchor points in the van and attached the frame, I measured up the top (be aware that the length might limit how far back you can slide the driver seat). I used 12mm ply, carpeted and hinged it.

In the opening side of the bed, there are tee nuts to attach the legs (http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-4-pro ... pack/47225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and then dowel screws (http://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-mac ... pack/7618h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in the legs so that they're easy to get on/off quickly.

The same tee nuts are in the ply floor of the van, so it only takes a minute to remove the bed from the van, 6 bolts.

I've found that with my cushions on the bed I have to slouch to sit in van as I'm too tall (although the missus is fine!) so I'm having 40mm taken off the legs, which is limited by the wheel arch height obviously, but also means I'll lose storage space under the bed. I'm also modifying the bed so that it slides out rather than folds out, but I'll post up the photos of that next week when it's done (hopefully!)

There's photos of how it turned out on the first page of the thread.

Any questions, fire away.
DeefLeppard
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DeefLeppard »

Really nice build man. Definitely be pinching the bike mount idea :lol:

Daft question, well more like 2, the curtain rail...where did you get one and how did you fit?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

DeefLeppard wrote:Really nice build man. Definitely be pinching the bike mount idea :lol:

Daft question, well more like 2, the curtain rail...where did you get one and how did you fit?
Cheers! The curtain is this one: http://www.veedubtransporters.co.uk/sho ... rtain-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although there's loads of different ones kicking about online. The rail was just cut to size and screwed into the headliner (although my headliner is plywood so a bit more substantial than the woodchip type that is standard). 10 minute job. Hope that helps.