Post by workandplay »

brilliant build very practical ill be pinching a few ideas
cheers james
mtbrider0
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by mtbrider0 »

nice build! have you installed a 240v site hookup socket to the outside of the van?
mostlysimon
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by mostlysimon »

mtbrider0 wrote:nice build! have you installed a 240v site hookup socket to the outside of the van?
Yeah I ran one of those 240V camping extension boards with an RCD to the footwell with the leisure battery. I cut the 3 pin plug off and wired it to a blue 16amp socket under the bonnet, which can then be plugged into a camp site hook up. I also hard wired the leisure battery charger into its RCD so that it can be used to charge it up off the mains if needed.

If that doesn't make sense I'll take some photos and upload them.
mtbrider0
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mtbrider0 »

Makes perfect sense! Socket under the bonnet is a brilliant Idea might do a similar setup to mine :mrgreen:
Juggs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Juggs »

Like the layout of this van mate looks really practical & making the most of the space!

Going back to the first page where abouts did you pick up the bike mount that you got fitted?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Juggs wrote:Like the layout of this van mate looks really practical & making the most of the space!

Going back to the first page where abouts did you pick up the bike mount that you got fitted?
Cheers!

I bought it off ebay, but doesn't look like the same one is still for sale. I searched and this one came up, although I'm sure there'll be more out there...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3088919316

Juggs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Juggs »

Cheers thanks for sticking the link up , yeah does look slightly different but as long as it does the job happy days!
Shents
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shents »

Love this van! Just got a Caddy Maxi myself planning to use it for climbing and camping as well, deffo going to be stealing ideas from you!
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

Great build thread. Loving the biking clamp. I have a maxi with 2 rear seats so bike fits easily to the side , but fed up with bungee ropes everywhere! Really like the leisure battery idea but have touran carpet n boxes in the rear so space seemed too small. Is the leisure battery fitting do'able for a non sparkie with some ( a little) common sense?!
missyR
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by missyR »

mostlysimon wrote:After spending the last year fixing up our new house and feeling guilty for neglecting the van, I decided to spruce it up a bit.

Installed a new head unit with reverse camera and finally plucked up the courage to make a hole in the roof for the dab aerial (it's been hidden behind the pillar for a couple of years with quite patchy signal). Also put a usb port in the coin tray for the android auto which is quite handy.

Realised that the little worktop wasn't getting used much so built some shelving to sit on top. It does look like a bit of an afterthought, but it's practical at least. Going to the Alps next month and I think the extra storage will be welcomed.

Also splashed out on some van x curtains for the barn doors. I've got sick of magnets falling off my DIY ones!

Going to start looking for some new seats to replace the Scirocco ones, I fancy something a bit less 'deep' for the long drives on the motorway.

The flame has been relit for the van tweaking!
Awesome thread. Can I ask what headunit you used please. I would like one that takes a camera. Cheers H

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tom-8-0
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Tom-8-0 »

Pretty decent conversion mate. Very impressed. Exactly what I was looking for on the bed/storage set up for mine. Thanks for sharing the info. Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

kneecap wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 pm Great build thread. Loving the biking clamp. I have a maxi with 2 rear seats so bike fits easily to the side , but fed up with bungee ropes everywhere! Really like the leisure battery idea but have touran carpet n boxes in the rear so space seemed too small. Is the leisure battery fitting do'able for a non sparkie with some ( a little) common sense?!
Nice one. Yeah I didn't have any experience before wiring it all in (although I did double check the wiring diagrams with the sparky at work). I just read all of the T4/T5 forum threads about it, there's loads of good info out there. I would offer to help, but really can't remember anything about doing it! If you need any pics of the setup or questions, just let me know.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

missyR wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 pm Awesome thread. Can I ask what headunit you used please. I would like one that takes a camera. Cheers H
It's the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB. I really like it, the only problem I've found is that if I've got my phone plugged in for a mammoth drive to ie. Europe, it overheats pretty badly.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Tom-8-0 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:30 pm Pretty decent conversion mate. Very impressed. Exactly what I was looking for on the bed/storage set up for mine. Thanks for sharing the info. Keep up the good work Image
Cheers :)
Shaunie P
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Shaunie P »

On the early pictures I see you have a bike in there, what are you using to hold it in place, it looks like a wall mounted repair stand? How did you find it worked? Been looking for a better solution that the classic bungee strap