Cross Caddy MY 2015

Show off your caddy
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Cross Caddy MY 2015

Post by anoneamus »

[UPDATE: FOR SOME REASON, THIS SITE DOESN'T LOAD THE IMAGES ANY MORE, THE LINKS ARE VALID, YOU NEED TO OPEN THEM IN A NEW WINDOW/TAB]

Got this awesome little camper vehicle brand new a coupla months ago (got 5000km/3000mi on the clock now). Totally loving it! Haven't really changed much on the exterior, apart from removing all of the decals. Have done a bit of (non invasive) internal stuff to kit it out for camping (see http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21093 for more details).

Looking to get some smaller rims and tougher tires on there, and maybe a "bull bar" type of thing on the front (if I can find one that's not to fugly)...

Last edited by anoneamus on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
dubvan
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Cross Caddy MY 2015

Post by dubvan »

Very nice, bud. Good colour choice too!

Jonesy :mrgreen:
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Haha, fortunately it was actually the colour I wanted! There is a 4-5 month waiting list for this model in South Africa. I totaled my previous car (VW MK3.5 Cabrio), and didn't want to wait more than a few days for a new car. I told the dealer that if he wanted to sell me the car he had to find one I could take immediately. There were 3 in the country, 2 white ones and this one... :)
Amelia
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Amelia »

Hi is this the long awaited 170bhp or the 140 bhp.? : 8)
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Really like that
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Unfortunately, us left-hand-side-of-the-road drivers don't get much choice with engines, transmissions or drivetrains when it comes to the Cross Caddy. At least in South Africa, there is only one variation available, the 140bhp 2.0 TDi with 2WD and a 5-speed manual transmission. In Germany the Cross is available with the better engine and 4WD (although it seems not both together). Anyway, I'm happy with the power etc. The fuel economy is awesome! :)
Tepid
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Tepid »

Great colour ;0), atleast you get the chance to buy a cross, it's not available in the UK. Shame they don't bring them into the UK with 4motion, I did enquire into buying from Ireland, but it was very expensive, maybe we'll get the facelift version next year. I notice you don't have the caddy cross air vents though, which spruce up the dash, which is a bit bland.

Nice pic with the mountains in the background, amazing mountain with one side that looks like it's been cut off, great for BASE jumping.
Mid LIFE Crisis
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Weird, it doesn't seem like any of the South African Cross Caddys have the silver surrounds for the air vents. We also don't get the LED headlight option... Don't know what they cost in Ireland, but they're around £18,000 here. The mountains in the background are the Cape Point Nature Reserve (the South Western most point of Africa, where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet). We have much better (apparently, I haven't tried) mountains here for base jumping (Table Mountain is a spot where some people do it).
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Well, it's a few months (and 10,000km/6000mi) later, and am still really loving this van! I've done a few small tweaks and am happy where I've got it now. I'm using it as a daily driver and camping vehicle (see the Camper thread here).

First up were some (custom) canvas seat covers (the Cross' seats are awesome, but Africa is rough & dirty in parts and that light grey cloth, shown on driver's seat for reference, wasn't going to last):

And (VW) floor mats (the carpet wasn't going to like all that sand and mud either):

Then I went for the (VW) wind deflectors, work really well, don't look *too* ugly:

Climbing in and out of the back was making me nervous about messing up the rear bumper, so I got a (aftermarket) protector for it:

I found the engine was getting a bit too dusty for my liking, so I gave it a clean and a (VW) engine cover:

Finally I decided to give it a bit of "bling", in the form of (aftermarket) silver vent surrounds (to match the rest of the interior trim):

And vinyl (VW) trims for the "B" Pillar:

I upgraded the stereo with the media interface (fitted it under the center console and ran the extension into the armrest), but not much to see there. I also had to get a set of "rough terrain" wheels (just a set of standard silver VW steel 15" rims with some heavy duty tyres) for more adventurous camping trips as the low-profile road tyres on 17" alloys don't work well on rocky dirt roads. Not pictured, as I swap them out when I need to use them, and in any case they're nothing worth seeing...
Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Seen a few more of these driving around in South Africa now, although they're *way* less common than any other form of Caddy. Seen it in Silver (my 2nd choice in colour), which looks really good, metallic blue, cross caddy orange, cross caddy green and white. I've only seen the green interior trim on one, which did not work at all (the exterior was the same grey as mine). Every other one I've seen has the grey interior like mine. Seems like at least half of the Cross Caddy's I've seen have been driven by soccer moms. What a waste!
TerryHenry_14
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by TerryHenry_14 »

Hey man, very nice Caddy you've got there. Like the seat covers, where'd you get those if I may ask?

Regards,
Terence, Johannesburg
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Thanks! The company, http://www.escapegear.co.za/products/seat-covers, that makes the seat covers makes custom fit "rugged" seat covers for many car makes and models. They do a VW Caddy version (with support for side airbags) that matches the (grey) original interior pretty well. They also do a waterproof version, but that's heavy duty nylon and looks like it would be a bit uncomfortable when it's hot. Both canvas and nylon versions come in grey and beige (and that's it).
silverra23
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by silverra23 »

Great looking Cross Caddy. Wish they sold these in Australia!
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

A pic with the "dirt road" steel wheels

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Well, this wonderful little car is just over a year old now...

For it's birthday, I fitted the Bi-Xenon headlights and the new (MY 2016) 'tinted' rear lights... ;)

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.