My caddy build and face lift

Show off your caddy
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: My caddy build and face lift

Post by KenTDI140 »

Can’t see any reason for it not to work still then. You only swapped out the 5 for the 6 speed haven’t you ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the long one
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by the long one »

the later caddy ECU (03G-906-021-PD) and the HW associated with it doesn't support the necessary processing to enable cruise in 6th gear or so I'm told but as usual I'll have to wait and see when I get it back after the MOT - but thanks for the advice with the choice of gearbox as apart from the silly mistake (wrong bolt)it fitted first time and also got the boost leak found(failed o ring)and fixed
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Cool. Glad t worked out in the end.
As for the cruise. I could be wrong but I would think it’s the same as my caddy and the ecu did not need to know I had put a 6 speed box in as it uses the same drivers wish map for 6th as it does for 5th.
My golf bid ecu is set the same way and hat had 6 speed from factory

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Might have some interesting bhp figures for you guys on Saturday as I’ve booked in for a power run on the rolling road.

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

I would love to watch this as I bet you've been playing around to get more power and also wish to see this beast again - last time was at vag event in Exeter which was over two years ago :D
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Is it really that long ago. Blimey don’t time fly.
Well it’s in desperate need of a bloody good wash and polish at the mo so it’s looking a bit tatty.
And yes I’ve done lots of playing and tweaking.
I messed about with turbo configuration a bit too.
Last time it was clocked at 280 bhp and I was only expecting 200 to 220.
This time I’m hoping to be over 300 but we will see.

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Correction it was only 17/18 months ago not over two years - yes time does fly but by the sounds of it so will your caddy - makes me want more power in mine 😁😁
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

300+ will be fun

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

It does feel pretty quick. Will let you know tomorrow

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

My caddy build and face lift

Post by KenTDI140 »

Well not as good as I was hoping for but still 20 bhp up.
Lost quite a bit below 2500 but I already knew that. I'm thinking that the slightly smaller turbo was not restrictive.
So when the weather is a bit better I’ll try the next size down compressor wheel but keep boost and furling the same so I can compare.

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Does that mean that you hit the 300bhp mark ? Pity you’re losing bottom end power - around town must be trying as mostly below 2500 rpm
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

No I’m afraid not it works out at 270 at the flywheel but I think that extra 20 bhp is from the higher boost and fuel rather than the turbo. Going to re do the turbo again to get back the low end then see if it keeps the same power at the top.
Weeds thing is that in reality the larger turbo didn’t make peak power happen any higher in the rpm range.

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Back to the drawing board then it seems to me that the previous run had more power overall maybe you’ve reached the limit of that set up ? But it is interesting to what can be achieved- how do you manage to stop with all that power ?
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Well to be honest I would rather loose a bit of peek power and have the low down torque.
It’s probably the std size valves and std cam as it only peaks at 3500 rpm but again if I was to change the cam I’d loose more bottom end drivability.
Big bhp figures are not everything.
As for the brakes I done have any problems with the std set up

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

I agree that more bottom end power is better than top end as most of the time that is where you are driving around town and medium speed roads you can’t use full power but it’s nice to have it there - always thought that the standard caddy brakes sometimes gave the feeling of “am I going to stop” (being a maxi maybe a little extra weight) so I upgraded to R32 front brakes the rears will be done before the summer and they look better filling up the wheel area