My caddy build and face lift

Show off your caddy
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: My caddy build and face lift

Post by KenTDI140 »

the long one wrote:Ken
I need some advice please as you’ve already done the gearbox conversion
Change gearbox with a jlu gearbox and associated driveshafts, starter and complete clutch assembly
Go turn over engine and it’s like a flat battery with starter jamming
Go to bump with a tow the gearbox seems to lock up
Remove starter and the same thing happens - as above
Seems like the flywheel assembly is “tight” to my friends who installed it (one works for Mercedes and the other Audi)
Any ideas ?
Blimey. It should all be a straight swap. So is the engine locked up solid like the flywheel is James against the bell housing ????
Difficult with out actually seeing it but only thing I can think of is may be clutch plate in the wrong way round ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the long one
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by the long one »

Yes it seems like the flywheel jamming against the bell housing/engine
Surely there’s a gap between the two ?
I was thinking that the driven plate maybe either faulty or installed incorrectly (haven’t said that to my friends yet as it could be a schoolboy error on their part - don’t want to hurt their feelings)
On a lighter note and this shows that I haven’t done much to the caddy for a while went to TPS this week and found that Marcus had been gone for at least 8 months (I thought he was a nice guy) doesn’t time fly
Thanks for the advice
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Lol forgot you were in my neck of the woods. Yea Marcus left ages ago. Shame as his knowledge was very good. I must give him a ring some time and see how he’s getting on.
As for your problem I just can’t believe that the bell housing is hitting the flywheel.
Did everything for the conversion come from the same car.

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

The parts came from the same car I believe but can’t be 100% the flywheel/clutch was purchased from darkside developments for an O2Q box so everything should fit
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
dipstr
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by dipstr »

Hi Ken have you checked if the gearbox you have fitted is stop/start? I have fitted a stop start box to none stop start and the starter would not engage properly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

It’s a JLU gearbox which was a while before stop/start
With the starter it could be something simple which has been overlooked but we’ll see
dipstr
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by dipstr »

the long one wrote:It’s a JLU gearbox which was a while before stop/start
With the starter it could be something simple which has been overlooked but we’ll see
Only other thing could be rear mount. Two different length bolts used to mount to gearbox

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Will look into that thanks 🙏
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

I think hunk the holes up through the bottom of the box for the rear dog bone mount are blind holes so u would have to be pretty rough to force them in the wrong hole

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Hi ken
Looked at the old box the one that may be causing all the trouble does go straight through into the bell housing so it is possible a longer than necessary bolt may have been used but will find out for sure next week
Cheers
the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

update today wrong size bolt fitted on dog bone mount 70mm as oppose to a 35mm one thus locking the flywheel - happy days now :D
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

That’s cool how the hell did they not realise that as bey were fitting it

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

maybe they were rushing to finish as they had problems with drive shafts seized in the hubs hello to their new friend 10 ton press - you should know theres always something waiting to go wrong - will have to check cruise control as its not suppose to work with the ecu in that van
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Cruise should work but you might need to run the extra wire as it prob won’t be there

the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

cruise control did work fine prior to the gearbox change never needed to run an extra wire - had been working fine since it was installed by DOC/SPACEWALKER - facelift cluster and computer installed at same time MARCH 2013 time will find out after MOT