Ddraeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

SRS Automotive 300+bhp BKD #Racevan - Ex Darkside Developments

Post by Ddraeg »

Nooiiiiiiice.
Mayor West
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: SRS Automotive 300+bhp BKD #Racevan - Ex Darkside Developments

Post by Mayor West »

Not posted on here for a while and quite a lot has happened since my last post, I'll try and post in order the things happened.

Cage painted.

Interior re-fitted, I wanted to fit as much as possible with it being my daily driver so we cut come Touran door cards around the cage and flocked the top to match the dash. I also fitted a rear view camera on an ignition live to use as a rear view. Andy Forrest does this on his Time Attack Subaru so thought I'd give it a try.

We used an A3 Quattro tank and had to move the filler neck (A3 fills on the drivers side, Caddy fills on the passenger) so the best option we had was to come up behind the passenger seat & fill through the side door as there was no room to take it to the original Caddy filer location.

GTI International next, this was the Caddy's 1st proper outing outer than me driving to & from work in traffic so the idea was to get some chassis testing done before going crazy with the engine etc.

I went out on a sighting lap in my MK2 track car and asked my mate to swap the Caddy from road to track wheels but for some reason my brother told him to go out in it instead? Bad idea! 

What we didn't know was that there was an issue with the ABS which caused the rear wheels to lock up under hard braking, sending him straight into the gravel. Luckily no real damage was done and the 200 hours spent on the underside wasn't massively ruined either, just some scratches to the black coated parts. We fixed what we thought had caused the issue (A broken wire to the drivers rear sensor) then I took it out on the Sunday. After 3 laps it did the same thing again but I manged to keep it on the tarmac so it was then parked up for the rest of the day. When we got back we looked further into it and it turned out that the pipes on he ABS pump had been put in the wrong positions so now this was sorted it's been fine ever since.

Thank god something so silly didn't cause lots more damage, on another track or a different corner with less run-off things could have been a lot worse.

Anyway, here are the pictures.

Before:

After:

VAG Tuner was coming up next so I got some other bit  sorted that Iv'e been wanting to do for a while.

SSS Paddle shift, these came with some carbon paddles but I want to alter the position and fit bigger paddles so I never used them.

Front splitter, this still needs work but seems to work ok as the bumper starter to pull away from the wing after a few laps at Donington so I think I will need to add something between the wing & bumper to stop this happening again.

Not sure if I should do the full splitter in back or take the side back to bare alloy? Either way Iv'e been getting some funny looks when driving around town.
james400
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by james400 »

Love the work you have done to this not easy converting it as I'm finding out at the moment with doing the rs3 running Gear conversion whats next on the list todo?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Had a quick look around this at Donington park when you were at VAGtuner Live. You were up to your eyes so I didn't interrupt.
Love the aero on it now, I bet nobody steps out in front of you now.
Seemed to go well on track but I assume not as well as it will eventually?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

james400 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 pm Love the work you have done to this not easy converting it as I'm finding out at the moment with doing the rs3 running Gear conversion whats next on the list todo?

The engine side of things was fine but we used EVERYTHING from the Tiguan, if not then that side of things would have been a nightmare.

There is lost to do, some minor things like a bonnet gurney, upper canards & roof gurney or maybe a spoiler of some sort, plus some other bits & bobs. The main thing is the built engine & wavetrac diff when that is finally ready. Then we can put some decent power through it.
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

Doc wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm Had a quick look around this at Donington park when you were at VAGtuner Live. You were up to your eyes so I didn't interrupt.
Love the aero on it now, I bet nobody steps out in front of you now.
Seemed to go well on track but I assume not as well as it will eventually?
I thought you might have come over for a chat but never saw you so assumed you were busy elsewhere.

They look too puzzled to do anything, I think it sends their mind into a spiral. Especially with it being fitted to a van.
It does look a bit OTT in my opinion really and maybe more than I initially wanted but I want to add something that works, which it seems to do.
Ideally it needs some skirts to make full use of the front & rear aero but I wouldn't get it on my drive at home as the underside touches slightly as it is so skirts would get ripped off.

It's way down on power at the minute (around 230-240) and kept going into limp so we had to reduce the fuel further while at Donington. When the built engine is in I want 350+ which should be easily done.

One good thing about the lack of power was I got chance to test the chassis fully, with the power it has now the chassis seemed nowhere near the limit so to say I just guessed the geo & suspension set up I'm pretty happy with how it went.
james400
Hyper Poster

Post by james400 »

Mayor West wrote: The engine side of things was fine but we used EVERYTHING from the Tiguan, if not then that side of things would have been a nightmare.

There is lost to do, some minor things like a bonnet gurney, upper canards & roof gurney or maybe a spoiler of some sort, plus some other bits & bobs. The main thing is the built engine & wavetrac diff when that is finally ready. Then we can put some decent power through it.
Luckily i have the body too so ill be using all the mounting points and strengtheners my biggest problem is sorting out the heldx rear diff but we deal with heldx in the U.S and thay have said thay can help me with wiring it up also thay have said its possible to put a diff controller in so will see how that go's. im still going to run the pd engine tho but if i can get it up to around 300bhp ill be happy.i would like to run it as a dsg in the future but my mani Focus at the mo is the four-wheel drive

Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

Another small update, Iv'e added some canards to the front bumper.

We have also made a roof gurney flap too, this is trial and error and may not work as well as we hope but if not it can be removed in a few minutes.

If anyone is interested here is a good video explaining how a gurney flap works, it's long and very detailed but really worth a watch if you have the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK8-VuwPqq4
james400
Hyper Poster

Post by james400 »

Nice little touches and the flap on the looks good too will help keep the back down abit too when cornering fast

W00t
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by W00t »

loving all teh work you put into it :D
manx_rob
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by manx_rob »

badass!
Dan4da
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Dan4da »

That is a good read, shame some on the pics at the beginning are missing... awesome car/van
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

Something that has bugged me for a while was the Touran cloth colour, it was a mile off my seats so I have finally had some parts trimmed to match.

The initial plan was to do the door cards & arm rest but we had some spare material so though we may as well have the handbrake handle & gear gaiter done too

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Nice to see it's not all about power and handling and the trim is getting some attention too, fair play Stefan.

Do your paddles work?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort