My Scottish gas maxi build

Show off your caddy
Limbo118118
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: My Scottish gas maxi build

Post by Limbo118118 »

What mm plyboard dud you use mate? An how many sheets to do the whole rear of the van? My next job!
Insta : Limbo118118
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Limbo118118 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 pm What mm plyboard dud you use mate? An how many sheets to do the whole rear of the van? My next job!
I only used ply on the window parts I carpeted the metal rear window covers. I think I used one full size sheet of 12mm ply an extra used the white plastic inserts that come with the van a small templates. 12mm was a bit excessive but it gave it a nice more flush look even 8mm would probably be more than enough
Limbo118118
Caddy Fan

Post by Limbo118118 »

Cheers dude il get down to b&q an see what they have!
Insta : Limbo118118
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

I like the idea of using minimal ply. Just carpeting the walls direct. What did you do at the side door?
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Limbo118118 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 pm Cheers dude il get down to b&q an see what they have!
Look for a timber supplier local to you it will save you a ton. B and q were almost double the price for standard ply and a half sheet got exterior ply full size for less at my local timber place and the can cut it to size
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Celticrsmith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:43 pm I like the idea of using minimal ply. Just carpeting the walls direct. What did you do at the side door?
Side door removed the lower panel and carpeted the whole thing down to the lower panel and folded it into the lower panel when then right to the seal then with a very sharp knife cut gently along the seal not going too deep to damage paint and make sure not to cut the seals you can take them off but won't be as good fitting against the carpet.

Then I carpeted the lower panel a separate colour and again using the white plastic cover thing that British gas have in the top part I made a plywood version carpeted it and used some metal brackets to screw it on and cover them with little bits of carpet can't even see them.

I had to redo my lower panel recently as my bike fell over and damaged it well put a hole in it :lol: I was going to redo the thin panels with some sheet metal if I do it again
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Cheers mate. Are the panels pop rivited on? (From poor memory I thought they were)
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Celticrsmith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 pm Cheers mate. Are the panels pop rivited on? (From poor memory I thought they were)
Unless someone at British gas wasnted to be a absolute c@&t then no lol they are just trim clips get 2 screwdrivers each side and pop the centre out the the clip comes off or you can get a cheap mair or trim pliers or tools make life easier. When you have the new longer clips installed you will need a trim tool to remove them without damaging at least I do as they are tight!

The panels above wheel arch have 2 screws for the racking in each side I believe I just missed them out didn't out a clip or anything in and they are solid
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by CaddyShack2k »

Slight off topic question, why isn't the gas in Scotland British like everywhere else in the UK?
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

CaddyShack2k wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm Slight off topic question, why isn't the gas in Scotland British like everywhere else in the UK?
No idea maybe to do with pride or something :lol: named the thread Scottish gas because it's different from all the British gas ones haha. My van actually went down England from Edinburgh got sold to a garage down there and then I ended up going down and buying it from Birmingham and brining it home this one must be destined in Scotland hahaha
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Deleted post
Last edited by TDean122 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Lol :oops:
TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

TDean122 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm No idea maybe to do with pride or something :lol: named the thread Scottish gas because it's different from all the British gas ones haha. My van actually went down England from Edinburgh got sold to a garage down there and then I ended up going down and buying it from Birmingham and brining it home this one must be destined in Scotland hahaha
I checked the MOT history of my ex Scottish gas van and it used to get MOT'd half s mile from my house in Paisley, it was then taken to The Van Yard, just south of Sheffield for me to drive it straight back to where it came from :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liking your build, i definitely need to get my bumpers painted!
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

TonyC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:41 pm I checked the MOT history of my ex Scottish gas van and it used to get MOT'd half s mile from my house in Paisley, it was then taken to The Van Yard, just south of Sheffield for me to drive it straight back to where it came from :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liking your build, i definitely need to get my bumpers painted!
Yep makes a huge difference I just ordered another bumper :oops:
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

New bumper is away for paint and also had the van going into limp mode all the time. Managed to fix this with a new throttle pedal just waiting on my bumper to be done again