Caddy Maxi Day Van Project

Show off your caddy
Yamboy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Caddy Maxi Day Van Project

Post by Yamboy »

ImageImage

This is my new Maxi that I will be picking up in the next few days. I'll be using the van as a daily driver, for transporting my motorbike to track days and for the occasional camping trip so the plan is to give it a basic conversion.

Someone has already carpeted the ply lining but I'll redo it as I prefer to carpet the metalwork and smaller panels. I'm thinking of a split charging system and some LED lighting as well. I might make a removable bench / bed similar to one I had in my T5 but I'll see how much space I've got to play with when I get the van home.

On the outside I'm thinking of some rail covers, side bars and bigger wheels. I'm undecided about fitting windows on the sliding doors so I'll live with the van for a bit before I make that decision

I'm planning to take my time with it so I'll update the thread from time to time with some progress pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--jp
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Caddy Maxi Day Van Project

Post by --jp »

Great colour!

I'd be interested in a photo with the bike in the back to see how much room there is
Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

--jp wrote:Great colour!

I'd be interested in a photo with the bike in the back to see how much room there is
Thanks. The bike is about 2.16m long and the Maxi load area is listed as 2.25m so it should be ok. I normally use a wheel chock to make loading the bike easier but it might be a tight squeeze with it in front of the bike so I might need to live without it

Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

--jp wrote:Great colour!

Tried the bike in the Maxi today for the first time today. Even with my Bike Grab wheel chock which adds on another 50mm there was plenty of room length wise.

When I start converting the van I'm gonna fit some D-Rings to the panels for securing things like my jerry can and ramp. I'll maybe fit a strong hook for for hanging up my leathers. It looks like I'll have plenty of space

Chris Meadows
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Chris Meadows »

I'm looking into this myself, doing alot of research because I cannot make my mind up on which van to get! I love the look of a SWB, and the looks alone are really pulling me towards it, a few members on here have put pictures up on the forum of their trackbikes in the back of a SWB but it looks like a very tight squeeze, basically my question is the extra length and less hassle worth going for the maxi and sacrificing the looks of the Caddy a little?
gme
Caddy Fan

Post by gme »

Yamboy (who has what looks like a Kawazaki track bike (zx 6/10 ??) :) )

Did you make a ramp for the bike to roll up into ? and how easy was it to get the bike in ?

Cheers
G
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Looking good, love the colour.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

gme wrote:Yamboy (who has what looks like a Kawazaki track bike (zx 6/10 ??) :) )

Did you make a ramp for the bike to roll up into ? and how easy was it to get the bike in ?

Cheers
G
Yeah it's a ZX6R - good spot Image
I have a folding alloy ramp that I use for loading the bike. It's a little bit tight going through opening height wise as I have a tall screen fitted to my bike. I'm looking for a longer ramp which will reduce the angle the bike goes in at and make things easier. Once the bike is in there's plenty of room (I've seen pics of 2 track bikes in a Maxi)

Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

Maxi4life wrote:Looking good, love the colour.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm really happy with it and glad I held off for the right colour

Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

Chris Meadows wrote:I'm looking into this myself, doing alot of research because I cannot make my mind up...
A bike in a SWB would be a real squeeze and not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. My bike fits in the Maxi length wise but it would need to go diagonally if the van was any shorter. I love the look of the standard Caddy but it's not practical for transporting bikes.

TDean122
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by TDean122 »

I've had to put my bike in the maxi a few times and since I don't usually do it I've used one of these as a ramp with just one set of legs folded out
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
works good but dunno if it can be done with a standard height caddy lol
Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

ImageImage

Finally starting to get some progress made on the van. Done most of the time consuming bits now

Bl0at3r
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Bl0at3r »

Nice job on the carpeting - looks so much better when the wheelarches are done like that.
Love the colour too :D
Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

Yeah, boxing in the arches would actually be more practical for what I use the van for but I hate the way they look.

Yamboy
100BHP+

Post by Yamboy »

Floor insulation done and the floor is now screwed into place. I've also fitted the barn door panels but I'm struggling to get the internal handle trim to fit on because of the thickness of the carpet.