Black Caddy Sportline Build

Show off your caddy
Kris C
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: Black Caddy Sportline Build

Post by Kris C »

Have to say I’m a massive fan of the tartan roof lining and window covers.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Nice looking Caddy, mate. Can I ask what is the ground clearance with this setup? Also did you use low or superlow Darkside kit?
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by mpharvey »

Giddy wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm Nice looking Caddy, mate. Can I ask what is the ground clearance with this setup? Also did you use low or superlow Darkside kit?
Thanks, It's got the standard Darkside low kit on. The side bars and front splitter are quite low. Any lower and they would be scraping over speed bumps but it works perfectly for daily driving duties. If i didnt have the side bars i would probably lower it a lot more.
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

Thanks for reply. Is the front splitter much lower than sump, would you be able to measure clearance? Just trying to figure out how low I can go without scraping everywhere. Mine mk4 caddy, sump pretty much at the same level as bottom end of the front bumper. Daily driver too. Not sure, shall I fit coilovers, or just lowering springs would be low enough.
SpeedTorque
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by SpeedTorque »

Great looking van! The lower ride height makes all the difference, the alloys are nice but getting the "stance" right is the biggest aesthetic compliment. How does it affect your insurance BTW?

John
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

Giddy wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:56 pm Thanks for reply. Is the front splitter much lower than sump, would you be able to measure clearance? Just trying to figure out how low I can go without scraping everywhere. Mine mk4 caddy, sump pretty much at the same level as bottom end of the front bumper. Daily driver too. Not sure, shall I fit coilovers, or just lowering springs would be low enough.
The splitter is roughly 60 - 70mm lower than the sump. What size wheels are you running? I'm running 17's and honestly im really not worried about scraping the sump on anything. Springs will give you a stock level of comfort but won't give you that stanced look. It just depends what you're after really.
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

SpeedTorque wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 pm Great looking van! The lower ride height makes all the difference, the alloys are nice but getting the "stance" right is the biggest aesthetic compliment. How does it affect your insurance BTW?

John
Thanks John, it made a negligible difference to my insurance. I guess it really depends on your age, no claims discount and insurance company. Some really don't like mods and others seem fine with it.
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

mpharvey wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am The splitter is roughly 60 - 70mm lower than the sump. What size wheels are you running? I'm running 17's and honestly im really not worried about scraping the sump on anything. Springs will give you a stock level of comfort but won't give you that stanced look. It just depends what you're after really.
At the moment it's stock alloys 205/55/R16. At some point will fit 18" or maybe 19". The goal is to find maximum drop without scraping anything. For comparison, my car had 85-90mm ground clearance and it was about as low as I could run it without scraping. But Caddy is wider, longer and front end sticking out more, so I think, I should leave more clearance for that reason.
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

A few little updates this week:

I managed to find a set of Touran leather door cards in good condition that don't look like they have been munched by a dog. Fitting them was pretty straight forward. I just created a template of the Caddy door card and trimmed to suit. It had a 4 door electric window switch so I went and got a 2 door one from VW. I had to swap all of the wiring and switches from the Caddy door cards over to the Touran door cards to get it all working.

I ended up buying a entire Touran handbrake so that I could pinch the leather sleeve and chrome button. Worked out way cheaper this way and much easier to find second hand because the sleeves don't seem to come up by themselves.

Finally I decided to go got mk5 R32 Pedals. I don't care what anyone says the accelerator pedal was a pain in the ass to fit, but anyway it's done now.

These little tweaks make such a big difference in the overall feel of the van. Well worth doing in my opinion.

Anyway here's some pics:

Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

Hi mate. What was the 2 switch you used?
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

Celticrsmith wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:43 pm Hi mate. What was the 2 switch you used?
Hi, the drivers side door card came with 4 switches for the electric windows (for front and rear windows). I got the replacement trim to suit 2 switches (for just the front windows) and then used the switches from the caddy. Hopefully that makes sense.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Yeah I understand. Gonna do the same but from what is the 2 switch trim from?
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

Celticrsmith wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm Yeah I understand. Gonna do the same but from what is the 2 switch trim from?
It's a standard Touran trim panel for people who speced their car with front electric windows and manual rears. I'll try and dig the part number out tomorrow.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Thanks mate. I’ve got a touran for parts but has the 4 switches for leccy windows. Didn’t realise you got them with just the two 👍
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

Celticrsmith wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 pm Thanks mate. I’ve got a touran for parts but has the 4 switches for leccy windows. Didn’t realise you got them with just the two 👍
The part no. is V1T2 867 372 D7 5R. Was about £20. The only thing I dont know is if there is different colours available.