Black Caddy Sportline Build

Show off your caddy
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Black Caddy Sportline Build

Post by mpharvey »

Hi, I've been lurking on here for a while and I've owned my Caddy for about 6 months now so I thought it's about time I introduce myself & my van.

As a Mountain Biker and a drummer and living in a City Centre the Caddy seemed like a logical choice. I used to have a 2.5TDI T4 Camper so I'm not new to VW vans. Because this is my only vehicle I wanted 2.0 TDI with aircon and electric windows. After searching for months and thinking I'd never find a good one a Caddy Sportline popped up locally with 1 owner and low millage. So I jumped on it straight away.

First impressions are good, I love the way it looks, I think it drives well and the 6 speed box makes the world of difference cruising on the motorway compared to my old T4. It goes well and is pretty good on fuel (most fuel efficient vehicle I've ever owned) . I am However a little disappointed with the interior; why the grey interior!, why the hideous plastic steering wheel and would it really have hurt to add a temperature gauge to the Cluster. Other than those niggles I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm in no real hurry to modify it at the minute. Insulating and lining the back out is the main priority, which I've started. I will probably end up lowering it because it's sat like a tractor and at some point upgrading to a leather steering wheel.

Anyway here's a few pics just after I bought it.

Last edited by mpharvey on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Black Caddy Sportline Build

Post by tommyzooom »

That has to be the nicest car park I have ever seen.
Van's not bad either btw ;)
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Very nice

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Chunky_caddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by Chunky_caddy »

That's lovely looking, Sportline is a great looking van. There's a red one locally to me, stands out alot every time I see it.
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

tommyzooom wrote:That has to be the nicest car park I have ever seen.
Van's not bad either btw ;)
Haha cheers, I'd go as far as saying it's probably in my Top 10 favourite car parks.
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

So the van had been previously used by a builder/property developer and had about 7 years worth of cement dust in the back. So I set about stripping all of the panels out and giving it all a good clean. Some of the panels were a bit beat up so I saved as much as I could and re-cut new ones where necessary. I also removed the bulkhead because I no longer need it. I can't believe how long this took to do all of this.

I then started insulating the van with Aluminium Bubble Insulation and recycled bottle insulation. The roof, sides, and door have all been filled to the brim. I also started lining all the panels and rear arches with 4 way stretch carpet & made a new floor because old one was trashed. The van was a lot quieter once I'd completed this.

Last edited by mpharvey on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyberman_uk
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by cyberman_uk »

Nice work so far, any other plans for it?
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

cyberman_uk wrote:Nice work so far, any other plans for it?
Thanks, I've just about finished doing the lining now and fitted some lighting today. It's really starting to come together nicely now. I'll upload pics of the next stage soon. In terms of plans I'd quite like to make it into a mini camper van, however I regularly put 2 mountain bikes in it and I am a little concerned I won't have enough space. Other than that I think lowering it slightly and having a nice leather steering wheel are high on my priority list.
tangoed-caddy
100BHP+

Post by tangoed-caddy »

On this door how is the top bit of ply fitted? As I want mine covered with ply and carpet but no idea how it's held there.....

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

tangoed-caddy wrote:Image
On this door how is the top bit of ply fitted? As I want mine covered with ply and carpet but no idea how it's held there.....

Hi, it's just held in place with 4 small self tapping screws. Just don't use long ones as you wouldn't want screws poking outside the van.
tangoed-caddy
100BHP+

Post by tangoed-caddy »

Right ok then, that's what I was worried about. Didn't think would be able to use screws for that reason. Thanks.

mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

So the next big step was to start lining all the metal with the 4 way stretch carpet. Not a particularly difficult task but not helped by having to do it on the road near my house between rain storms.

I wanted to make the roof a little more exciting so I cut a new roof panel out of ply and lined it with genuine MK7 Golf GTI fabric. I'm really pleased with how it came out.

To finish it off I cut the bulkhead down to fill in the panel gaps. The first one took a while but once I worked out what I was doing the second was much quicker.

Last edited by mpharvey on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tangoed-caddy
100BHP+

Post by tangoed-caddy »

Looking very smart there, love the roof lining choice!

slipperjake
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by slipperjake »

Real nice neat job you done there! like the roof lining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpharvey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mpharvey »

I've finally fitted my interior lighting. Wish I had done it earlier, it's really nice to be able to see. I've wired them up to the interior lights with a 12v regulator for now and will add a switch at some point when I get chance. Photos don't really do it justice but it looks smart and really lights up the rear.

I've also made some insulated panels to cover the rear windows. They took ages to get the shape spot on but I'm pleased with how they came out. I might have to redo the lower panels with hidden clips to make them look smoother.

Next job is to tackle the floor. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Last edited by mpharvey on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.