My Black Caddy / MTB / Camper

Show off your caddy
henrycaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: My Black Caddy / MTB / Camper

Post by henrycaddy »

Good start, how are you attaching it to the Caddy to keep it in place? Why did you go for the bed on that side and bike on the other, rather than other way round?
billymtb
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by billymtb »

henrycaddy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm Good start, how are you attaching it to the Caddy to keep it in place? Why did you go for the bed on that side and bike on the other, rather than other way round?
I will be fixing the bed to floor using some t-nuts much in the same way I have the bike mounts. Decided to build the bed that side so I get in and out of the van through the side door rather than trying to climb over my bike, plus I can build full length storage down the other side.
henrycaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by henrycaddy »

billymtb wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm I will be fixing the bed to floor using some t-nuts much in the same way I have the bike mounts. Decided to build the bed that side so I get in and out of the van through the side door rather than trying to climb over my bike, plus I can build full length storage down the other side.
Good points. Just when I thought I had my plan sorted...you throw a spanner in the works! I had been thinking of entering from the rear doors originally, but the side is easier/nicer. I'm eagerly watching your bed build as it's my next big hurdle, so keep the updates coming!
billymtb
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by billymtb »

Managed to find some yesterday evening to cut the template for side panel of the bed. Slowly coming together.

caddyblackedition17
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by caddyblackedition17 »

billymtb wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm Managed to find some yesterday evening to cut the template for side panel of the bed. Slowly coming together.

Looking good mate, just in the process of deciding on how to lay mine out. yours is defently one of the best iv seen so far. keep up with the posts can't wait to see it finished :D
PRMG
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PRMG »

Looking good, I'll be watching this as I want to turn my SWB caddy into a camper as well. How tricky is it to line it out with carpet? Mine's still got racking in atm, I need to take it out and get it sold so I can make a start but I haven't got anywhere to store it once out.
Gizbod
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Gizbod »

Nice build. I'll be keeping an eye also for ideas to steal. 👍🏼
Garrigle
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Garrigle »

Looking good so far mate. Looking to going the same direction with my caddy for the bed and that. Keep it up :)
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

billymtb wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm Managed to find some yesterday evening to cut the template for side panel of the bed. Slowly coming together.

Is that all hand cut? Looks good.
Currently in the process of building my own bed now. Just trying to figure out the layout...
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
tacklbury
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tacklbury »

billymtb wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm I will be fixing the bed to floor using some t-nuts much in the same way I have the bike mounts. Decided to build the bed that side so I get in and out of the van through the side door rather than trying to climb over my bike, plus I can build full length storage down the other side.
Looking good mate. Like what you are doing with the van. Think that way round with the bed is more practical and uses the space better. 👍