Swedish microcamper

Show off your caddy
Bl0at3r
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Swedish microcamper

Post by Bl0at3r »

Yay another silver van :D
You're using a lot more silentcoat than I did - looks really good.
Keep the updates coming please :D
TobyMTDI
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by TobyMTDI »

mkrav wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 am You're absolutely right on that one, and I realised this morning that I've been an utter dumb*ss when connecting the AUX input... Shouldn't really admit to this mistake in public, but here goes.
I had a look at the other wire harness (the HU came with two, one universal and one for VW). The connectors on the harness labelled aux in are supposed to connect to the back of the HU, connecting an oem aux in via the harness to the HU.
My mistake was connecting my aux port to these connectors and not straight into the HU. So, what I've done is connect the aux port to nothing... :oops: :oops:
The HU is coming out again in the weekend to hook up the aux correctly. Oh joy :lol:
Easy mistake to make!

Did your unit include a CAN bus adaptor? How well does it work with the Caddy? I have my HU in my Skoda, and the adaptor didn't fully work so I took it out. It sort of worked, but it prevented my maxidot (FIS) from working. If it works with the Caddy it's coming out the Skoda and going straight in the Caddy (when I finally get one :lol:)
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by mkrav »

TobyMTDI wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:29 pm Did your unit include a CAN bus adaptor? How well does it work with the Caddy?
Yep, it's listening on the CAN bus. Works proper as far as I can tell, I get indications of open doors and it switches to the reverse camera view (camera still not connected though) when reversing.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

Reversing camera: installed!

We've had lovely weather today so I couldn't procrastinate any longer :lol:

Best picture I could get of the camera, my phone simply refused to take a good picture! (And on a side note, I see the rear door lock really needs to be cleaned)

Rear view on head unit. No way to adjust the guides so I'll just have to live with that or turn them off :mad:

Installation. Routed the signal cable through the grommets, going through the tubing would have been nice but even more of a pain... Fairly clean install though imo.

With tail light reinstalled

Routing the signal and power cables from the rear door handle cover

Handle cover reinstalled, grommet reattached and cables coming up into the door

All connected

The power to the camera is piggybacked from the wiper so the camera is always on when the ignition is on (searching the boards, this was suggested as a good way to power the camera, can't disagree ;) ). Ground to the brown wire and 12V to the outermost of the white wires.
The head unit is listening on the CAN bus and switches to the rear view when reversing, so no need to tap the reversing lights for that signal :D

edit: hit submit by mistake, halfway through the post
edit 2: fixed images
Last edited by mkrav on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLarsson
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PLarsson »

Ser bra ut!
Looking good there, I like the wiring for the back up camera. Looks pretty stock to me and that´s a good thing.
I can imagine that with the barn doors, it´s not the easiest to add the back up camera there.
I´m thinking of a small pod on the roof, but I still don´t know to be honest...
Your thread will absolutely be followed to see your progress!

Best regards // Peter
neil-c
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by neil-c »

Hey. Great job on the ICE install. One of the reasons I signed up to the forum was to get advice on caddy ICE installations. I was thinking of going for the new Xtrons 10 inch display (I think xtrons and joying are the same rebranded chinese hardware) but now I'm thinking of going for the smaller screen to make it more OEM+ after seeing yours. How are you finding the reliability and functionality of the Joying? Did you have a wiring diagram for the caddy that you were going off when installing? I've some electronics experience (i.e. I have bench top supplies/multimeter/soldering iron/shrink wrap etc) but would need instructions for wiring... can you offer any advice?
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

Long overdue updates...

Added more dodo mat to the van, in the front doors.

(Whoever Heinrich who designed these doors must be the same nincompoop who thought the rear lights are easily serviceable... Not an easy task to get the inner metal covers off)

Strategically placed leftover pieces of silent coat... Nothing random about this :lol:

And painted the door cards. Quite pleased they turned out so well!

The doors close with nice thud now, so all that dodo mat and silent coat really is working :D

Also the car audio sounds really, really good after all the insulation and silent coat. I've done installs in my other cars but this is the one I'm happiest with so far!

edit: fixed images
Last edited by mkrav on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

Done a bit of work on the outside as well. Door handles and mirror covers colour coded. Turned out very well!

Front and rear bumper smoothed and painted, not happy here. Still looks better than the stock unpainted covers imo but very clearly not matching the paintwork. All done with multona's almost matching LA7W paint. :evil:

Have to talk to a car painter about getting matching paint then redo the bumpers. Probably have to delay that till next summer due to time and weather constraints :(

Last edited by mkrav on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

And finally, made the bed platform over the last two weekends. :D

Constructing the frame

The side beam is screwed into the metal work, the outer support is anchored to the floor board with two t-nuts and bolts.

The idea is to make a bed that can be easily disassembled to get back the full cargo capacity so the van can be used to haul whatever needs to be transported :D

Finishing off the frame, the support slats are held in place with wood pegs (forgot to take pictures).
All boards are 21x42mm making for a very light frame. No problem for my sub 80kg weight :lol:

12mm plywood cover, these are held in place with wood pegs as well

End result: the whole bed can be disassembled in 5-10 minutes :)

Carpeted and finished:

The bed is about 165x80cm so too short for my 175cm frame but lying diagonally I can actually stretch out :o

Children's mattress from IKEA, a three piece set for extendable beds. I need the bigger part and one of the smaller ones. The smaller part just needs a cut out for the barn door pillar. Still to be done.

Lots of storage space underneath the bed!

Last edited by mkrav on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

Bit of bonus after building the bed. Used leftover bits of board and carpet to make a fire extinguisher bracket and repurposed the jack bracket to mount it to.

Extinguisher's held in place with two loops of shock cord

Stowed blackout screens - this is what I sourced the shock cord for in the first place :D

Last edited by mkrav on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

PLarsson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:03 am Ser bra ut!
Looking good there, I like the wiring for the back up camera. Looks pretty stock to me and that´s a good thing.
I can imagine that with the barn doors, it´s not the easiest to add the back up camera there.
I´m thinking of a small pod on the roof, but I still don´t know to be honest...
Your thread will absolutely be followed to see your progress!

Best regards // Peter
Välkommen :)

Yup, not the easiest job to route a cable cleanly from the body to the door. For a while I toyed with the idea to put the camera in the rear bumper but binned that idea because the camera would've been too low.
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

neil-c wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 pm How are you finding the reliability and functionality of the Joying? Did you have a wiring diagram for the caddy that you were going off when installing?
So far so good with the joying, working perfectly still. Be interesting to see how it copes with the cold when winter comes :lol:
I'm using Elsa for reference but haven't had need to dig into schematics yet. The stock radio harness worked perfectly with the adapter supplied with the joying hu and wiring for the extras (cameras, mic, sub) aren't going into any VW wiring.
Only place where I would've needed to go into the schematics was the power for the reversing camera, but that was much easier done by searching the forums for ideas :D
PLarsson
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PLarsson »

mkrav wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm Välkommen :)

Yup, not the easiest job to route a cable cleanly from the body to the door. For a while I toyed with the idea to put the camera in the rear bumper but binned that idea because the camera would've been too low.
Tack så mycket :)

Yeah I completely agree with you on that... I´ll be removing the glass and replacing that with metall and think of inserting a camera there. We´ll see how it turns out. I want to have one facing forward and one facing backwards...
Looking forward to see more of your work.

Best regards// Peter
neil-c
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by neil-c »

Thanks for the reply on the Joying- I think I'm going to get one!
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mkrav »

Almost a year since last update :oops:

Mostly been regular maintenance and less exciting stuff so nothing much to post about for a (long) while... New springs in the front because the right side one broke, new rotors and pads all around and new calipers up front, old ones were seizing...

But. Yay! I did a major improvement over the weekend. Upgraded to cruise control and mfsw :D :D

Out with the old:

Install new swcm, stalk, wheel... Do some coding to enable the new options...

Steering wheel buttons are working, cruise control is working, everything is working. So happy and looking forward to new road trips :D

There's a lot of information on how to upgrade to cc, so I won't bother going into detail. If you're interested check out this great guide (and search the forums for retrofitting cruise control):
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4633