Caddywupz Van Conversion

Show off your caddy
Garrigle
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Caddywupz Van Conversion

Post by Garrigle »

caddywupz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm Design has changed a bit from the initial concept, but it's pretty similar.
Been building the frame today. Hope to get it all together tomorrow and show you all what it loos like.
Fingers crossed my idea has all come together and there's enough clearance in the relevant places... :)
looking forward to it :D
Mk2kompressor
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Mk2kompressor »

Any more pics of the cut bulkheads?
Looking at doing it to mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2.Slow
caddywupz
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by caddywupz »

Bed frame is now pretty much done. Some extra bits and pieces to add, but it's near enough there.
It's by no means perfect, but for something I've made from my own 2 hands which I've never done before - I'm very chuffed!

Here's what it looks like in the van:

If you head over to my instagram page you can see the other pics that go along with this. I can't seem to add them on here...

The principle of it is for the top of the bed frame to sit at the same height as the wheel arch. Decided this because I was to try and sit as upright as possible in the van without slouching and having my head hit the ceiling!

I was going to have it in 2 separate storage areas with one side (the back) completely plied and the other side (front) open to things can easily be chucked underneath it and so I can also grab stuff from the outside through the sliding door in the right.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by caddywupz on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
Garrigle
Caddy Fan

Post by Garrigle »

caddywupz wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm Bed frame is now pretty much done. Some extra bits and pieces to add, but it's near enough there.
It's by no means perfect, but for something I've made from my own 2 hands which I've never done before - I'm very chuffed!

Here's what it looks like in the van:

If you head over to my instagram page you can see the other pics that go along with this. I can't seem to add them on here...

The principle of it is for the top of the bed frame to sit at the same height as the wheel arch. Decided this because I was to try and sit as upright as possible in the van without slouching and having my head hit the ceiling!

I was going to have it in 2 separate storage areas with one side (the back) completely plied and the other side (front) open to things can easily be chucked underneath it and so I can also grab stuff from the outside through the sliding door in the right.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Ah nice one man, gives me something to set my ideas on for my own caddy. :) keep up the good work.
j5oel
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by j5oel »

Nice progress, I will be starting my camper build soon, some good inspiration here. Keep us posted with your progress.
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Mk2kompressor wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm Any more pics of the cut bulkheads?
Looking at doing it to mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you specifically after the sides you mean?
I have a very rough cut out over on my instagram. Will hopefully upload something soon with the sides in place. www.instagram.com/caddywupz
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Decided to get some 18mm ply and cut up from B&Q in to the sizes I need for the folding top of my bed. Hopefully put most of it together tomorrow. Originally wanted 15mm as thought 18mm would be too wide, but at least I know it'll take the weight of a person without needing extra frame when folded out.

As for this evening, just a simple task of putting some sealant down at the front and back of my vinyl floor. Looks messy but will hopefully be able to clean it up tomorrow when it's dried and peel away the excess.
Last edited by caddywupz on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Worked all day today, but doesn't feel like I got very far.

Never realised how time consuming all the little things would take! Bed just needs its tops put on now pretty much. Made a little cubby hole now on the bottom right of the bed. Be useful for something instead of boxing it off.

Plyed round the right hand side on my bed as so to box in the wheel arch via the bed instead of plying the arch itself.

Will show you all tomorrow hopefully. Slow but steady progress.
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Still been working hard on the bed. Yet more design changes due to varying factors, but still very similar to my original design.

Pretty sure it'll all get finished tomorrow (the bed that is). Been Chiselling out edges for the hinges today so the bed tops lie flush.

Tomorrow: detail sanding, wiping down, oil and assembling the rest of the bed! Then it'll pretty much be done!

caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Bed is ALMOST finished...

Detailed sanded and oiled up the tops and frames. GoIng to let the oil cure overnight, plus also the screws that the hinges came with are too long, so need to get some shorter ones tomorrow. Tomorrow is moment of truth! Can't believe it's taken this long to make. Just hope everything lines up properly with the hinges and the tops that fold over to make the double bed. Quite crucial really in order for everything fit snugly and rest on the lip that I'll be designing in to my storage unit...

Daltzz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Daltzz »

Look forward to seeing the bed finished, get some pics up :D
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Bed in IN!

caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Working on my storage unit. Literally making it up as I go along. A lot of my plans have changed due to the bed now being wider than originally designed, but I'm getting there.
Garrigle
Caddy Fan

Post by Garrigle »

awesome man looking great. Exactly the same as I want to do with mine. Keep it up :D
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Been a while since I've done much to my van due to work - but bought a centre console with armrest and got some Thule roof bars at a decent price so installed them both today.

Not exactly getting my priorities straight seeing as I still need to finish off my storage unit so I can actually fully open my bed! Oh well...