Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Show off your caddy
Geardy1986
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Post by Geardy1986 »

Fantastic build mate! Really enjoyed reading through this one... the similarities to what I’m trying to build are amazing, and the trick little changes you’re making to lighting etc are really interesting too.
Looking forward to more updates :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Paul9616 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 pm Seems like you've been a busy boy.... would like to see the rear sliding door panels fitted not seen these yet, good spot. Can I ask that you post a picture when they are on....
Sure they should be here next week sometime.
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

I've bought these touran front carpets ages ago for £50. This photo is just off ebay as mine are in the loft at the mo. I'm putting this off till I find some awesome seats so I can swap the whole lot over in one go. Have been looking into some front heated seats. Or touran seats as they fold flat so you can put your feet up if your in the rear editing on a job. 8)

2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Rear Door Lights

Wired up some extra door lights in the rear. The default one is too dark & in the wrong place in the middle. These are in the b pillars so light up the footwell and surrounding areas. Comes on with unlock or door opening. Might add a switch so they can be turned on / off as they are bright. Also plan to add colour underbody lights to the same circuit. So when you unlock the car or open a door the ground would be illuminated green or blue etc. These spotlights are the same as I have in the rear: Dream Lighting warm whites: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Cobra Alarm 4615 canbus 2-1
Van by default comes with immobiliser so added a 2-1 thatched alarm. Went with ultrasonics as I've removed the bulkhead. Otherwise you might go for a PIR or Microwave sensor in the bulkhead area. Pretty fiddly to install as the wires in the footwell are tight but its all done now 8) basically 6/7 wires. Then 2 more in the engine bay for the wireless siren. Because its canbus it communicates with the cars system so if a door is opening or the bonet etc the alarm will go off.

peakrock
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by peakrock »

It's really useful looking through your build posts as it gives me ideas and sources for some of the things I want to do to mine. On my ex BG van there is a small electrical panel behind the glovebox with 4 terminals marked as constant 12V and 4 terminals as ignition switched 12V. Various leads like the charger for the torch etc went to this terminal block which I've disconnected, but I was wondering if it is a BG extra or a standard caddy item having read that you needed to run wires through the bulkhead for your split charge relay etc. It's also got about 4 wires of different colours on it which I have yet to trace to see where they go.

Unlike yours the three rooftop aerials still have wires running from them, I presume this is for mobile phone reception but not sure where they connect to..

Cheers

Dave
Drawoc
Caddy Fan

Post by Drawoc »

Just hijacking the post coz I’ve had the same thing this week.

All the aerials were connected on mine and all fed to that extra terminal behind the glove box. I went under the tray in front of the gear stick and there was connectors for the phone system, all the cables connected to that and the torch charger. I managed to feed them all back to the extra fuse box and disconnect them all. I’ve left the fuse box in until I start looking at fitting the split charge relay for a leisure battery. Just have to see what happens there.

I also cut the cables off at the aerial end and left the aerials in place so I don’t have to worry about waterproofing the holes. Al other cables have been traced back too. So no led lights in the back at the moment either.

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Hey guys on mine everything had been cut aerials ran to the a pillars but had been cut and other electrical cables cut behind the glovebox so nothing worked apart from a feed to the back for charging the bg laptop. In the end I took that mini fuse box out but used the wiring to pull through my thicker cables to the engine bay.

Also when they did the Sirus conversion apparently there was a tracker somewhere in the Center console.

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Ebay bits arrived from Germany.
Center dash storage
Chrome mirror dial. Waiting for a double touran panel to arrive to swap over the 4 piece window switch. Will then add the chrome window levers.
Also got these sunsheilds.. just gotta work out how to wire them up & prob spray them black.

lavinl30
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by lavinl30 »

Hi bud.
What did you use to screw down your leisure battery when it was in the passenger footwell?

lavinl30
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by lavinl30 »

Also did you make the ply lining kit yourself?

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Hey dude my leisure battery was a Halford’s one and seemed to fit quite tight so I didn’t strap it down but I guess you could build a wooden box around it.

For the ply kit I bought a ready carpeted kit with extra carpet & spray glue off eBay but quite fiddly if I were to do it agin I’d buy blank panels that slotted into the factory holes and carpet myself or pay someone else to do the carpeting.

Hope that helps. Happy building!

r6paul
Caddy Fan

Post by r6paul »

Good work so far, this has given me a few ideas to play with.

How do you find the reversing camera up on the third brake light as opposed to above the numberplate? Any pics of the screen with it on?

Top magazine on the dashboard too, do you dive in the UK?

Thanks
Paul
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
D-lab
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by D-lab »

:P proper passion wagon. Nice!
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

r6paul wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 pm Good work so far, this has given me a few ideas to play with.

How do you find the reversing camera up on the third brake light as opposed to above the numberplate? Any pics of the screen with it on?

Top magazine on the dashboard too, do you dive in the UK?

Thanks
Paul
Haha yeah man about 30,000 miles a year. magazine stays put :lol: I think it was free on a diving day or something.

Haven't got the rear camera coded in yet as the local garage wanted £60. But I started with a number plate one but it didn't fit properly. It was one that replaced the light in the rear numberplate area.

The lights that came with the rear camera were a bit crap so I swapped the bits over with the old one.
The most annoying part is running the cables through.

Once its up and running I'll get it posted up.

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Touran seats with Storage + Carpets fitted.

So been looking for cheap seats for months on ebay and some popped up so went and picked them up.
Already had the carpets. Had to jog on to halfords to pick up a m10 spline bit then hey ho off we go getting the seats out & seat bases easy enough. Then ripped out the old rubber matting & replaced with carpets. Rereouted a few cables like the split relay as its earth to the seat base. & hid the subwoofer cables under the carpet. New seats in. So much comfyer! Even has a lumba dial for you back. Storage in the seat base and a draw in the seats too. Only thing was noticed a wierd smell after a day :lol: so took the passenger seat base out again and gave it good old wash. 8) In time I might add a heated seat kit off ebay to the seats.

Before they look smart but they are so bad on long drives!

Old seat base with the leisure relay box

Carpets fitted & New seat base with storage

Passenger side done

Drivers side bit more fiddly as you have to remove the throttle pedal & foot rest to fit the new carpet