Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Show off your caddy
kbcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: My ex british gas Caddy Maxi build

Post by kbcaddy »

dopeytree wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm MK4 Rear Smoked Lights. I have barn doors so made sure I had the right ones. Bought them from deutscheparts on ebay for £129. Followed the guide on here: https://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32664 as you have to change the wiring pins over. Didn't have a pin release tool so I made on from 2 sewing needles and a piece of wood. Worked great! These look awesome!

Passat W8 LED Light

Also bought and fitted the passat w8 light with LED downlights. I remember my audi a3 had this and it just makes it nicer at night when your finding your coffee etc. Bit fiddly as you have to cut / drill some new wholes for the light to mount onto but pretty easy. Then just run a wire down the the headlight switch. I bought the parts on ebay & the loom from toomyzoom on ebay too. How to fit Passat W8 Guide here: https://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1369

Need to also wire up my footwell lights. At the mo they're just plugged into the cigarette socket. Not sure if I want them on with ignition or when doors open or just when its dark and the headlights & w8 leds come on.
Really liking those rear lights. You're doing a fine job of this by the way
DANDANZ
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Post by DANDANZ »

Looking good, what model did you have your seats out of?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

DANDANZ wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am Looking good, what model did you have your seats out of?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
They're touran "sport seats" with the touran bases. Fairly cheap on ebay etc. You can get some leather touran ones but I find leather seats sticky in the summer :lol: . These came with storage bases & draws in the seats too. Simply undo bolts and bolt new seats back in. Make sure to get all the bolts if you get some as the new seats were missing a few so I had to order some off ebay. The stock caddy seat uses smaller bolts touran seats slightly bigger.

The passenger seat also folds flat. So can wack my feet up if sat in the rear. Both have trays on the back too. I'll post up some pics later today.
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Multi Function Steering Wheel + Cruise Control

Had been on the hunt for a mfsw for a while but put off by £600+ price tag. For some reason I thought you had to have a highline speedo for the cruise control & mfsw controls. Turns out highline is just to control settings like lights & that jazz. Ex BG vans come with midline speedos but they're crippled at factory. So when fitting cruise control you activate MPG settings etc.

Anyway found this guy Maciej Początek who sells decent condition at reasonably condition and fits too based in Luton. So now we have a flat bottomed mfsw & cruise control. + he activated my speedos so now they actually display basic stuff like mpg etc. Cracking stuff.

Also very happy to report the wheel buttons work flawlessly with the rcd330 CarPlay stereo.
He also coded in auto lock doors & the door exit lights too. Mint vans pretty much sorted now.
Got some chrome pedals in the post & a few small bits like fit the side windows. 8)

2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
charlottejbright
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlottejbright »

Can i ask what did you pay for the steering wheel and coding? did you have to change the body control module?
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

charlottejbright wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:16 am Can i ask what did you pay for the steering wheel and coding? did you have to change the body control module?
Hi was £325 for the wheel with airbag Then £125 for the new slipring + cruise control stalk. Free fitting & coding plus got £50 for my old airbag. So £400. Not cheap but best price Ive found so far as the next best was £600

TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

Did you also have to fit the trip stalk for the MPG info to show?
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

TonyC wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm Did you also have to fit the trip stalk for the MPG info to show?
No trip stalk you either have just a trip stalk or just a multi function wheel. Don't think you can have both.

One thing the guy did have to do was mix and match my old right stalk to the new cruise control left stick so that the system wasn't firing off a non existent rear wiper.

In the future if I see a cheap highline cluster I might upgrade it but at the moment all I want is mpg info. I don't really know what else a highline would give me as I don't have VW footwell lights or tyre pressure monitoring etc. I use carplay via the stereo for navigation. I mean it'd show what door is open.

TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

Cheers bud, all i am after is MPG info also
Caddyvanny
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddyvanny »

Hi there, ive just got a ex-bg caddy maxi and looks like it has the same internal racking that yours came with. Im having some trouble working out how to get the black thing attached to the racking at the back out as it is wired in! Any tips? Also i see that your aerials wires were cut, i think mine are all still attached, do you know if its ok to cut these?
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

After much farting about I have the rear camera working. It was the camera not the radio that was the problem. I bought a cheap £14 kit of ebay that came with a screen & another camera. Used the screen to find the original rear camera gave a feed. However still doesn't work with the RCD330 so swapped over the new camera with the same wiring in place and hey presto its all working!

Brake light camera showing a feed on the external screen

New camera working on the rcd330

So don't bother with the expensive brake light camera as it doesn't work with the RCD330. Might be some NSTC / Pal issue?

I did fit a delay & relay box but all that does is leave the rear camera on for a few seconds as you pull away:

Camera kit £14.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-Car-HD-D ... 2749.l2649

Time delay filter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Delay-F ... 2749.l2649

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Caddyvanny wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm Hi there, ive just got a ex-bg caddy maxi and looks like it has the same internal racking that yours came with. Im having some trouble working out how to get the black thing attached to the racking at the back out as it is wired in! Any tips? Also i see that your aerials wires were cut, i think mine are all still attached, do you know if its ok to cut these?
hey from memory this is the laptop charging unit in the back. To be safe I would disconnect the battery first then cut the wires. To be honest I probably just pulled mine off. There might also be one of the aerials goes to the laptop charger unit too. Aerials will be fine to cut although you might want them in the future for dab radios / gps / tracker etc.

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Fitting Rear Privacy Opening Windows

I've been trying to get my local garage guy to fit these for ages. Sunny weather is here so I though f*ck it I'll do it. I'd already bought the fitting kit from vanwindowsdirect, I just wasn't too keen on putting big holes in the van. Watched this guys video though and looks easy enough... you basically just follow the markings already in place on the caddy.

youtu.be/d0ZTAUB8u6I

Use a drill to make holes around the curves

Holding it up to check its the right size

Then sand the edges & put on the U bend rubber edging. I used a rubber mallet to bang it into the corners.

The kit I bought is really easy to use you just wipe the window backing then wipe the area around the cut. Then just add the black silicone and offer up the window. Tape up to keep in place.

Do the same on the other side tomo.

dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Beauty Mirrors

Wired up one of the beauty mirrors connected to the leisure battery. Turns on and off when you move the aperture.

Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

Well done for having a pop yourself. Just as well you never had the ciders before hand!!

How much was the kit.....i like it