Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Show off your caddy
dopeytree
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Matilda - My british gas Caddy Maxi build

Post by dopeytree »

Ha cheers. Yeah originally I was looking on ebay & occasionally a used window would pop up for about £150ish.
Vanwindowsdirect.co.uk are the cheapest I could find at the time.
I went for the opening ones as when I camp in it I want some fresh air. I picked these up last year they were delivered to Sirus when they were fitting my rear seats but the window guy was busy or something..

So privacy caddy maxi window in privacy £200 inc VAT each. https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/view ... in-privacy

However the basic fixed window is £85 inc VAT each. https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/view ... vacy-glass

Double fixing kit is £45 https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/view ... ed-windows

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Have just found this site selling the opening ones for £150 inc VAT https://glassforvans.co.uk/product/righ ... addy-maxi/
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

dopeytree wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 pm No trip stalk you either have just a trip stalk or just a multi function wheel. Don't think you can have both.

One thing the guy did have to do was mix and match my old right stalk to the new cruise control left stick so that the system wasn't firing off a non existent rear wiper.

In the future if I see a cheap highline cluster I might upgrade it but at the moment all I want is mpg info. I don't really know what else a highline would give me as I don't have VW footwell lights or tyre pressure monitoring etc. I use carplay via the stereo for navigation. I mean it'd show what door is open.
So the only way you got mpg was with the mfsw?
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Proper well done on the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

caddywupz wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 am So the only way you got mpg was with the mfsw?
Yeah he did some software stuff too but I assume if you had the right hand trip stalk that would do the same? I never had it so can't say.

But its good to know I'm averaging 42mpg even around town. Haven't checked the motorway yet. So yours is likely similar.

To check it is a midline clocks. What year is your caddy? & what does it show up on the speedos at the moment?

Mine used to be like this (which is apparently midline clocks):

But now its like this and you can cycle through Basic mpg average or instant, Miles left on tank, Average speed, Trip distance etc.

Then cruise control shows up like this and you can set the speed up down.
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Yea looks like I have midline clocks then.
I have cruise control, but that's it. Would.be ace to get the rest of the computer settings!
Ginger
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: My ex british gas Caddy Maxi build

Post by Ginger »

Hi Mate,
loving your project!
where did you get the chrome interior door handles from?

many thanks
Ginger

Chrome interior door handles
[/quote]
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Hey mate I bought them separately but they come standard on Touran door cards. While you swapping the door cards over it's a good time to swap over the window buttons to chrome ones too. And if you're doing the door exit lights too do it all in one go.

If your buying on ebay just check the doorcards are for RHD model.

Ginger
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ginger »

thanks mate, ill keep an eye out
TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

Great work on the windows!

I actually watched a how to video for a T6 as my mate is just about to do his and couldn't believe how easy it actually looks. He is doing his this evening. He has the ease of owning a tyre fitting garage so plenty of tools around. WHat did you use for the straight cuts?

You should get this moved into the build thread section 8)
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Good idea just sent a PM to doc to get it moved over to the build thread.

Yeah windows are actually really easy. You just cut it, dress the damage with trim and then glue the windows in. What windows is he fitting? Opening or the normal ones?

I used my uncles ancient jigsaw. The blades kept snapping or getting stuck but we got there! Plus you actually end up with loads of the silicone glue leftover. I put a bit extra in but didn't need it.

Rob_de_Banx
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rob_de_Banx »

Watching The Restoration Couple on YouTube (camper van build), I saw he used a nibbler for cutting rather than a jigsaw for exactly the reasons/problems you mentioned.

https://youtu.be/VfknnEuuSAg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8Q52RU/ ... 4Ab3Z2A9H5
TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

he done his two windows tonight with success, only took about two hours but he used a grinder for the straights. He has one solid window and one opening window. The video i watched was on a site called Kirivans and the guy said you ends up with loads left over. Its tempting me to want to do it :lol:
TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

Are you getting any light in through your barn door windows? I took my window guards off earlier as i had some screws rattling around but they didn't let any light in at all so i just popped the covers back on :?:
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

TonyC wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:38 pm Are you getting any light in through your barn door windows? I took my window guards off earlier as i had some screws rattling around but they didn't let any light in at all so i just popped the covers back on :?:
I've just peeled off my black tint that I couldn't see through, and stuck in some Van-x curtains. Had contemplated tinting the windows as well, but after see how black out the curtains are, I'm quite happy to leave them as they are if this is of any useful information? Means it still looks like I van, but I can actually see the world out the back! I have no side windows so only form of light would have been through the front windscreen and my 12v down lights.
TonyC
100BHP+

Post by TonyC »

i'm thinking it has been tinted both sides on the ex BG vans, i seen pics from Limbos build and looks like he may have removed an inner tint but still has an exterior one as you can see through his back windows from the inside.bI like the tints but i'd like to be able to have some light come in and be able to pop the covers back on when it's back to work time