Saving a Caddy

Show off your caddy
caddywupz
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Saving a Caddy

Post by caddywupz »

Great to see a modern day restoration rather than seeing it be crushed or left on the scrap heap!
Great work so far! Wish we all had the brains to be able to do something similar and could do a lot of things ourselves. I know I would!
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
tweedy2K
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by tweedy2K »

Nice progress mate! Totally different van now!
ed1119
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by ed1119 »

Great work - I like the Rotor's too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
92rivage
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 92rivage »

This is turning out nice, and a quick turn round for the project size.
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Gareth »

torque777 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 pm Looks great

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Thanks mate :D
Garrigle wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm Really good work mate :)
Appreciate it mate
Celticrsmith wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:35 pm Awesome. Wish I owned my own garage and pals with a breaker. Great job, look forward to the next update
:lol: There's been alot of work pushed to the side and lot of money sunk into this, thankfully it's within sight.
Yamboy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 pm That's some transformation, good work mateImage

Thanks Yamboy
Glen G wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 am Great work so far mate 8)
Thanks Glen, thankfully it's nearly done :lol:
Shane1987 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 am Looks ace mate

Thanks Shane :D
caddywupz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 am Great to see a modern day restoration rather than seeing it be crushed or left on the scrap heap!
Great work so far! Wish we all had the brains to be able to do something similar and could do a lot of things ourselves. I know I would!
Thanks caddywupz, I'm into my VW's and didn't want to see this go to the scrap heap, even with the amount of miles and the condition. But anything can be repaired with a bit of love. It was a lot more work than I expected tbh and I've sworn I'll never get involved in a project like this again :lol:
tweedy2K wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 pm Nice progress mate! Totally different van now!
Thanks tweedy2k, wouldn't think it's the same van. It drives perfectly with the miles and now doesn't look too bad.
ed1119 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am Great work - I like the Rotor's too Image

Thanks Ed! Yea I like the look of the Rotor's, But would prefer a set of Motorsports, there's a fella in Dublin I'm trying to get to sell me his. The price for a new set is stupid. Nice to see another member local to me!!
92rivage wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 pm This is turning out nice, and a quick turn round for the project size.

Thanks mate, it was a bit more work than I originally thought! Thankfully the end is in sight!!

A bit of an update on the van now, It's been MOT'd and only needs the paint flattened and buffed and it's ready for the road!!!

Thankfully it's nearly done :lol:

Thankfully got a new steering wheel too, finally get rid of this ugly piece of rubbish and got an R32 wheel.

drifty510
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by drifty510 »

Wow very inspiring, what a transformation.
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Just to keep the thread updated. The van is now on the road. A few things happened over the last few months that put life into perspective and work/the van didn't mean much to me for a bit, but I cracked on and now it's done (Well sorta).

So this was obviously how it was before I started it:

During the process:

Now:

The van just needs a few other stupid bits and pieces and that's it done (I will always be doing something to it, Will never be totally happy :lol: ) . I will take a picture of the cabin tomorrow. I plan on fitting a split charge system to it and putting a bench (Tool box) in the rear of it for when I'm out and about I could do bits and pieces of work away from my workshop. I also want a get an armrest for it so will make it priority this week to phone the scrap yards for one. Also would love to fit a set of touran door cards and carpets.

It's had a tough life before me, the old 1.9 BJB has a few leaks about it, so since the van is more or less finished, I think I will make it my project to rebuild a spare MK4 PD150 ARL engine I have sitting around and fit it to the van with a 6 speed box next.
Merret22
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Merret22 »

This is absolutely amazing! You’ve done a fantastic job mate. It was very satisfying to read, I can’t imagine how satisfying it must have been to do yourself. I look forwards to seeing post updates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big Pimp
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Big Pimp »

Wow. Superb job from start to finish. And great to see another black caddy.

I’m near sure I’ve seen yours passing me (I’m on the road a lot in mine and would frequent TPS in Mallusk too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Merret22 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:38 am This is absolutely amazing! You’ve done a fantastic job mate. It was very satisfying to read, I can’t imagine how satisfying it must have been to do yourself. I look forwards to seeing post updates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you @Merret22,

It's been a long few months and I won't be happy with it for a while yet, but it's getting there and it's good to know that the van didn't end up being scrapped.
Big Pimp wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm Wow. Superb job from start to finish. And great to see another black caddy.

I’m near sure I’ve seen yours passing me (I’m on the road a lot in mine and would frequent TPS in Mallusk too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks mate,

Yea you would have mate, I'm based in Central Park in Mallusk there and I've been out and about it in a lot in Mallusk lately. Most likely seen you when passing :lol: I'm one for looking at any when I pass them.
sxstar
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by sxstar »

Subscribed quality work!!!! :D
It's never to late to be what you might have been!!!
massy086
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by massy086 »

Hi op can you tell me if the steering wheels and airbags are a straight swap