Saving a Caddy

Show off your caddy
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Saving a Caddy

Post by Gareth »

Hi everyone,

I'm Gareth from Belfast. I'm a mechanic and I own my own workshop based in Mallusk not far outside Belfast. My dad's had a Caddy for a brave few years, his is a 2007 1.9 TDI with a few extras. This is it the day we picked it up 5 years ago. It's been a great van and now even with 190k miles on it, it still drives great.

I haven't been particularly looking for anything to drive for work. But I got told about a Caddy that had been sitting up for over a year, it was a non starter and had suddenly broken down a while ago. I heard it was a bit rough, but when it was going, it had been running great. I must admit, anything with a VW badge on it I love working at. I find them simple to work on.

So this was it, a 2005 1.9 TDI Caddy. Rough, very much so. But I don't mind that, it means I can have a bit of a project and get it how I want it.

Someone had stripped the cam from it assuming that was the issue. I fitted new camshaft and buckets, Timing belt kit and water pump, Full service kit while I was there. Still not starting, I noticed an immobiliser issue coming on as a fault, but I knew that if it was only an Immo fault it would start and cut off. Eventually found that the turbo shaft had split in half, blocking the exhaust side. So fitted second hand turbo to see if it would start, finally it started and then cut straight back out. I knew this was the immobilisers fault, so removed immobiliser from ECU to save any hassle and to just get the van running, bang first time started and continued running.

Noticed that the radiator was leaking badly on the van, so decided to strip the front end off to fit new radiator and to also clean the dirty engine and box.

Will fit with new radiator tomorrow, will refit everything else bar the bumper. The rear doors aren't the best, so I bought two white ones, the driver side rear door will need a bit of work, but certainly better than the black one coming of it.

*Excuse all the parts dumped into it there, just needed somewhere to put the front end while I was tidying the workshop*

I've fitted brakes allround this week on it, I've to pick new mirrors up this week and a new back bumper. I've top mounts, drop links and balljoints sitting just to freshen it up.

Van is hopefully going this week to be completely resprayed in it's original colour along with colour coding and getting the dents removed. I've now three weddings to attend in the next three weeks which have killed the spending atm. But once they're over its:

- New handles
- Rail Cover
- Spoiler
- Sign writing
- Rear plylined, new floor and carpeted
- Lowering
- Alloys (Unsure which yet)
- GTI Seats
- GTI Flat bottom steering wheel
- PD150 Turbo

People will ask why didn't I just spend the money on one that didn't need any work. I've a passion for VW's, I wouldn't want to see any going to waste, especailly a Caddy 2K and this way I can build it the way I want to.
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Saving a Caddy

Post by Barbel330 »

Nice work man, it's going to be very rewarding to take a rough van and turn it into something nice.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Geebs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Geebs »

Aye, you've took on a big project there mate. Handy when you're in the mechanic game mind, so I'm sure it'll be a Bobby Dazzler when you get it finished. Good luck.........
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Thanks fella's. The way things are going it'll be all sorted and on the road in the next few weeks.

Today I refitted the Rad pack and let it run for a while. I also removed the bulkhead and the floor that was in the van. I've since washed the inside of the van. I've ordered a new rear threshold step, new side step, new front rubber mats, new rear bumper and two new front mirrors. They should all be here for monday.

There's a few little patches of rust beginning on the back floor, gonna sand it down, prep and paint it all for the new floor.
Chunky_caddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by Chunky_caddy »

Looks to be a great project, your lucky your able to do the work yourself! Unfortunately my hands and patience wouldn't be blessed in those departments lol
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Yeah you're right I'm able to push work to the side and work a bit later and prioritise the Caddy. Hopefully going to paint next week and then it shouldn't be to long till it's finished :)
dalebolan
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by dalebolan »

Brilliant build so far look forward to reading more. Thinking of painting mine to but still unsure. Based just out Belfast too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Thanks mate :D Really hoping for it to go to paint this week then I can get the other bits and pieces done thats handy to have her on the road. I'm lucky as I'm in the trade and a good friend has his own paint shop. So hopefully I can torture him enough for him to do mine asap. From Mallusk myself.
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Great work so far, the bjb engine is fairly reliable when running

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Thanks mate starting to now benefit seeing the work done to it is pushing me on to get it done asap. Out of all the engine codes on the 1.9 TDI's, BJB is the only one I've very little experience on. I've no worries about it though, if it does go I'll replace it or I've a spare ARL sitting with v little miles on it and a 6 speed box that I'll convert over and make it work.
Kristofferen
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kristofferen »

Looks like you got yourself some work there mate :p
I'm not sure if I'd buy a turbo and fit it just to check if it would start. But everything is a bit cheaper in England :roll:

How did you disable the immobilizer? With VCDS? Can be handy to know if i should be having any problems in the future :)

I too have an odd tendency to want to save all the cars that are on their way to the scrapyard :lol:
Anyway, keep up the good work! I will be following the rescuing of this van :)
If my writing/grammar is poor, it's beacause I'm a Norwegian :lol:
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

I'm lucky, I'm friends with the owner of a large scrap yard here so it didn't cost me anything to try it. I'm in Northern Ireland, But we're still part of the United Kingdom, I think second hand turbo they where looking £150 for.

VCDS won't remove immo. I had to read the eeprom itself and disable it that way, it's part of my job I work mostly on ECU, Mapping etc.

Yea, we've a few old VW's layin around us and I find it really hard to let anything with a PD engine in it just go to scrap :lol:
Kristofferen
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kristofferen »

Hehe, im a towtruck driver and i see alot of cars going for scrap. Feel bad for taking them to the junkyard :cry:
One thing that bothers me is that here in Norway we're not allowed to buy parts from cars that's been delivered to the junkyard :oops:
Makes it harder to find myself the touran parts i need :lol:
If my writing/grammar is poor, it's beacause I'm a Norwegian :lol:
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

Noway, no second hand parts in Norway at all? No scrap yards? :lol:
Gareth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gareth »

After a while of no updates we are getting there.

I guess there was more work in it than I originally thought and the fact I'm a fussy f**ker made the bodywork more work than it should have been.

I'm hoping it goes to paint this week, then it won't be long till it's on the road.

More or less all my parts have came for the van. My spoiler, new rear bumper, new mirrors, side rail cover, new bulkhead, smoked 3rd brake light, etc etc. All I have to worry about is wheels and lowering it after the paint.